Computer Related Questions-Volume 201 [Read Only] - Dynamic Dave

***** This thread is now closed, please CLICK HERE to go to Volume 202 *****

In this thread you may ask any computer related question for which you need help, advice, suggestions or whatever.

Usual rules apply,

No motoring related discussion,
No politics,
No Speeding, speed cameras, traffic calming
No arguments or slanging matches
Nothing which we think is not following the spirit of the thread
Nothing that risks the future of this site (please see the small print for details www.honestjohn.co.uk/credits/index.htm )

Any of the above will be deleted. If the thread becomes difficult to maintain it will simply be removed.

There is a wealth of knowledge in here, much of which is not motoring related, but most of which is useful.

This is Volume 201. Previous Volumes will not be deleted.

A list of previous volumes can be found by clicking Here

PLEASE NOTE:

When posting a NEW question, please "Reply to" the first message in this thread, i.e. this one. This keeps each question in it's own separate segment and stops each new question from getting mixed up in amongst existing questions. Also please remember to change the subject header.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 17/11/2009 at 00:45

Time shown on taskbar is not always accurate - L'escargot
Just lately (after being OK for 6 years) the time shown on the taskbar of my computer had started to become inaccurate (sometimes wildly so) after my computer has been switched off for a few hours. I know how to synchronise it with an internet time server (time.windows.com) but it's tedious having to keep doing this. Why has it gone wonky?

Edited by L'escargot on 12/11/2009 at 05:32

Time shown on taskbar is not always accurate - Manatee
Google "CMOS battery".
Time shown on taskbar is not always accurate - Stuartli
Manatee has provided the most likely cause.

Probably the most common CMOS battery choice of motherboard manufacturers is the CR2032 - not expensive - but you will need to check first.

Here's one guide if you are not sure what to do:

www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000239.htm

Time shown on taskbar is not always accurate - Falkirk Bairn
>> Probably the most common CMOS battery choice of motherboard manufacturers is the CR2032 - not expensive - but you will need to check first.

If you want an expensive CR2032 you can get one in Mercedes Benz Bubble wrap @£4.99 inc its own MB part#

or Maplins @ £1.99 (IIRC)
Time shown on taskbar is not always accurate - bell boy
be aware to earth your body before diving into the motherboard with fat fingers
Time shown on taskbar is not always accurate - Dynamic Dave
or Maplins @ £1.99 (IIRC)

Or Tesco:- £1.71 for two.

I bought the 2016 type (same brand) for my keyring LED torch last year. Still going strong.
>>Or Tesco:- £1.71 for two>>

My wife's Franklin puzzle solver uses the same battery. About a year ago I bought a pack of eight CR2032 batteries in our local discount store when the Franklin's original battery pack up; the battery is still going strong.

Price of the pack of eight CR2032s?

99p.

You can buy a pack of 40 or 50 various sized batteries for watches, remote controls etc for the same price (99p). They last at least a year to 18 months when used in a watch and represent a staggering saving on the £2.50 or more a watch shop charges for a single battery.

Edited by Stuartli on 12/11/2009 at 14:45

Time shown on taskbar is not always accurate - Rattle
I suspect there are quality differences though.
Time shown on taskbar is not always accurate - SteelSpark
Funnily enough I just bought a couple of these earlier this week from Amazon (well a marketplace seller).

www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B002U00ZNK/ref=o...t

I needed one for my kitchen scales, but I got a second because they are the same battery used in the Mondeo key, just in case I need one at short notice.

I also noticed that you can get them very cheap if you buy in a big batch, but I would never use that many.
Time shown on taskbar is not always accurate - Pugugly
I bought some online at a silly price as well - made by a well known Japanese battery maker in Japan. No quality issues to date.
The battery packs I buy are normally Panasonic, Maxell or Kodak brands.

Bit like cheapo watches or wall clocks. These keep perfect time and cost from as little as £2 or £3 each...:-)
I got a new battery fitted completely free by PC World.
>>I got a new battery fitted completely free by PC World.>>

You presumably had to take the system into the PC World store then?

I've had several self-build home computers since 1996 and have never yet had to replace a CMOS battery.
Time shown on taskbar is not always accurate - Altea Ego
All my home pcs have been home built since 1983, and I have never changed a CMOS battery either.

Mind the first one I built didnt have a battery as it had no bios memory to keep alive.
If you have been building PCs since 1983 how did you manage to crack that IBM BIOS? Didn't think the first clones came out till around 86. The first PC I built was cheating. It was a 1987 Tandem 386 with a green screen monitor. It must have been very expensive back then with the luxury of a 386 chip. Paid £25 for it back in 1997 and took it apart and rebuilt it screw by screw. I then replaced the 20MB MFM hard drive to a 40MB IDE one. Had lots of fun playing with those jumpers on the IDE controller card.

Oh and those 30-pin SIMMS of 256kb each they will not be missed.
Time shown on taskbar is not always accurate - rtj70
Oh and those 30-pin SIMMS of 256kb each they will not be missed

Had 8 of those in my first PC in 1993. Ran Linux, Windows 3.11 and OS/2 Warp on that (and OS/2 could run Windows on top albeit a bit slower) on that PC. Happy days. But my tiny SIMMs must have been 1Mbyte each as I had 8MB RAM.
Yep had lots of the 1mb versions as me and my mate used to build computers and sell them out of his shed when his parents were at work. My mum was quite horrified when she found out I had been ilegaly selling computers.

Me and 14-15 though thought it was a lot cooler than the paperound.

Sound lots of machines from 386's to the early pentiums. There used to be a second hand computer shop in old market in the arndale under Cannon Street and bought many second hand boards from there.

One thing I have noticed is that RAM has gone up a lot lately :( its now around £19 a 1gb or DDR2, I had been paying around £12 for Corsair/Kingston stuff.

I suspect the costs of desktops will go through the rough soon due to economies of scale there is a lot less of them being made.

Edited by Rattle on 13/11/2009 at 00:35

Oh- and those 30-pin SIMMS of 256kb each they will not be missed.

1984 - 16Kb was available on US sourced IBM PC - no diskette drive as this was an option on base model - cassette port on the back

UK machines 64 K max on the motherboard - 8 chips - memory expansion was 64/256Kb add-on card - £130 for 64Kb

No chance of losing date and time due to faulty battery- there was no battery - you had to put date/time in when m/c booted.
Time shown on taskbar is not always accurate - smokie
Ahh the 80s. I remember when my company started manufacturing IBM clones. They offered them to staff at a big discount, along with a loan to help you buy them. A colleague bought one for a little over £3000. Which is a lot. And was even more then!

Time shown on taskbar is not always accurate - Altea Ego
If you have been building PCs since 1983 how did you manage to crack that
IBM BIOS? Didn't think the first clones came out till around 86.

It had an IBM bios and motherboard.

Time shown on taskbar is not always accurate - Reentrant
It had an IBM bios and motherboard.

We called it the "planar" board back then. The original board supported a max of 64K but that was replaced late '84 with the "PC-G" board that supported 256K.
The cassette-tape-only model was never released in the UK. The first one here came with a 180K single-sided 5.25" floppy drive.

I know cos "I was there" (IBM PC Co Technical Support and later PC Technical Product Manager 1984-2000)
Msg for Reentrant WE MUST KNOW EACH other as I was around PCs from 1984 - Basing View/Alencon Link......................Who are you? (Real name!!)
Time shown on taskbar is not always accurate - pmh3
>>>All my home pcs have been home built since 1983, and I have never changed a CMOS battery either.<<<

You must all be late starters. My first personal computer was a UK101 built from component level up - ok I bought the pcb :) no green monitor - Video straight in to a self adapted 12 inch BW Ferguson 12v TV! probably 1980.

www.gifford.co.uk/~coredump/uk101.htm

Probably still in the loft under a pile of BBC/Amstrad/IBM PCs - the garage has the 286/386/486 'modern machines'! Every now and again they yield a useful part - if only a lowly electroytic to transplant to something else.
Aww don't kill them old 286/386 machines. I have been keeping hold of my C64 and it is now increasing in value although I would never sell it. Working ones can go for £30 upwards now, ten years ago you would be lucky to get £5.

When my dad bought the original C64 back in 1984 he bought the infamous 12" Ferguson B&W as a monitor for it. My dad used to program presentations on the C64 for visitors when my parents had guests round so they would come in and see all these messages on the TV welcoming them. There was all so much excitement back then about computers.

Its lost now as everything is so cheap there is no magic anymore.
You presumably had to take the system into the PC World store then?

Don't forget that I'm a computer duffer! I try not to meddle with things I don't know anything about.
>>I try not to meddle with things I don't know anything about.>>

A sensible viewpoint..:-)
Its why machines like the C64 sold so well. In some ways it was better than a PC if you used with a disk drive. 64K RAM as standard, good sound, colour graphics. Later versions even came with a Mac 128k Esque point and click operating system complete with a recycle bin a full 6-7 years before Micirosoft could offer one with Windows 95.

I learnt to program on a C64, the main issue with it is that the BASIC was horrible, I think I would have preferred a BBC but being an 8 year old in 1990 and the fact it only cost £99 I had very little say!

My dad did of course buy a C64 in 1984 which cost around £500, the choice was buy a car or computer my dad choose a computer as my parents had no need for a car. Before the buses were privatised the buses went everywhere you would really want to go.

We bought our first PC, an IBM PS/1 in 1993, DOS 4.0 and Windows 3.0, cost over £1k all in (Dixon's managed to sell us just about every con under the book). When I was 12 I upgraded it to Windows 3.11 and Dos 6.22 cost me over £100 for the software. I tried to upgrade the RAM but being an IBM PS/1 nothing was standard and a 1MB chip on it cost around £100 back in 1994. We had to live with it until 1996 when we got our first 486.

Time shown on taskbar is not always accurate - bell boy
Every now and again they yield a useful part - if only a lowly electroytic to transplant to something else.
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>im always told not to do this as these go faulty over the years and is one of the first things to change before powering up a stored amplifier from pre raphelite days or is my information wrong
I think you can usually tell though as they start leaking? The top of the capacitor starts to rust and develops a bubble. Used to be very very common in motherboards made by PCCHIPS a few years back.
Time shown on taskbar is not always accurate - pmh3
bb
You are right! I would normally not reuse an old electrolytic (look for leaks and 'blown' cans), but I just had to use something as an example ;)

Good primer www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=195

Edited by pmh3 on 13/11/2009 at 10:23

USB Flash Drives - Robin Reliant
Are these a good alternative to CR-R's and floppies as a means of data backup, reliability wise?
USB Flash Drives - Altea Ego
no - far worse in fact. They are prone to loosing bits and that can mean loosing the entire data on the stick.
USB Flash Drives - JH
Buy a USB disk, they're not expensive. And they're a darned sight faster than a memory stick.

You might want to splash out on some backup software too, though it's not essential.

JH

Edited by JH on 13/11/2009 at 18:26

USB Flash Drives - ifithelps
Somewhere in the backup software that comes with Vista Home Premium it says backups cannot be made to a memory stick.

Edited by ifithelps on 13/11/2009 at 18:29

USB Flash Drives - Stuartli
I have a Seagate One Touch 400GB external USB hard drive - it came with BounceBack Express software that, once your internal hard drive has been copied, performs backups by just backing up changes to files, software installations etc.

Nearest Seagate to it at the moment is this model:

tinyurl.com/ylkdjmk

which is even less than I paid about two years ago and includes delivery.

Edited by Stuartli on 13/11/2009 at 18:43

Why are these files going in "my" partition? - JH
My W7 upgrade is not going well, failing at 63% with a BSOD. :-( Nothing useful in the log file. I'll take that up with Dell on Monday but why is it leaving about 1.5Gb of data on a partition I created to keep my data separate from the os etc? It looks like it's not all transitory and a lot will be left behind if the upgrade succeeds. I think I've managed to unintentionally create a pointer from the C drive "Documents" to the partition.

Prior to creating the partition I had a folder "JH data" under my id in an attempt to isolate my data for backup purposes. I subsequently created a partition and dragged and dropped "JH data" there. Somehow I think a pointer has been created. How do I track it down and stamp on it please?

And at this rate I think I'll be creating another partition and going down the clean install / dual boot route. I took the upgrade option in the hope of avoiding reinstalling a whole load of stuff, plus some software is always dumb enough to install to the C drive, regardless.

Thanks,
John

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 16/11/2009 at 00:36

Why are these files going in "my" partition? - Altea Ego
Some months ago, I warned on here *never* upgrade one windows over the top of another. and to always do a clean install. I was of course poo pooed.

Given the choice of upgrading one version of windows over another, or sticking my eyeballs in a dualit toaster, crusty eyeballs with butter wins every time.
Yes, you did but I didn't pooh pooh you and I have previously gone down the clean install route. On this occasion, with all & sundry reporting clean upgrades, I decided to be lazy. What's that saying about repenting at leisure?

So, just for my curiousity & education, how the dickens is Windows writing to a partition that I'm trying to reserve for data? Just how big a "Keep out" sign does it take? I never had this trouble with MVS. Or VM. :-(

JH
Why are these files going in "my" partition? - Altea Ego
So just for my curiousity & education how the dickens is Windows writing to a
partition that I'm trying to reserve for data?

Dunno me old fruit, without being there and poking about its hard to see what it its doing, but 1.5gb sounds to me like a bootmanager partition of some kind.
does it take? I never had this trouble with MVS. Or VM. :-(

Its Z/OS V11 as of September.
z/os - Yes, but I bet that ISPF still looks much the same! :-)

JH
Why are these files going in "my" partition? - jbif
My W7 upgrade is not going well, failing at 63% with a BSOD >>

The following is for 62% so it may not apply to your 63% ! ;-)

support.microsoft.com/kb/975253
"Upgrade stops responding (hangs) at 62% when you upgrade to Windows 7"

Where is Rattle when you need professional IT help?

p.s. W7 reportedly creates a hidden 100MB partition.

Edited by jbif on 14/11/2009 at 22:41

Thanks JBIF, the detailed symptons from the log file don't match I'm afraid. I'll see how it goes with the manufacturer but my crystal ball predicts a new system partition and a clean install.

JH
Windows Vista - SP2 - Armitage Shanks {p}
I have just been "offered" SP2 but have not installed it as I think I have heard of subsequent computer problems. I know I can do System Restore if I don't like it but is it worth giving it a try? Thoughts please!
Windows Vista - SP2 - ifithelps
My version of Vista Home Premium offered me SP2 a week or so ago.

I accepted and after a few minutes it told me all had been safely downloaded.

There's no difference to me as the user, but I imagine there may be some 'hidden' benefits, such as increased security, or better compatibility with something or other.

Perhaps someone could tell me what SP2 is supposed to do, as I clearly haven't a clue.
Some past SPs have been more trouble than they are worth. I will ask the question on another site and post back with any info.
Windows Vista - SP2 - Pugugly
I know nothing but my Vista machine has SP2 loaded - I don't recall being offered it. Seems like this machine (Vista Home) seems to have been downloading an unfeasable number of "updates" of late.....My MacBook seems only to sip at the download font in comparison. Come to think of it as I get used to the Mac the better it gets in functionality over PCs.
...Come to think of it as I get used to the Mac the better it gets in functionality over PCs...

Agreed, if money were no object I'd have a Mac.

I've only had a limited play with Windows 7, but from that experience and from what I hear, there's something of the Mac about it in terms of simplicity and ease of finding files.

A shiny new netbook with an eight-hour battery and Windows 7 might be the next computer toy I buy.
Windows Vista - SP2 - Pugugly
PC World doing a £100.00 scrappage on PC Laptops....

Windows Vista - SP2 - Altea Ego
...Come to think of it as I get used to the Mac the better it
gets in functionality over PCs...

SQ

err No. There is nothing MAC like about windows 7. You buy windows 7 because you want a better windows experience. YOu buy mac because you want a mac experience.

Plus the last thing you want is a NETBOOK with windows 7. The CPU in netbooks is useless for running windows. YOu only get 8 hours battery life because its a 125cc engine.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 15/11/2009 at 16:41

...Plus the last thing you want is a NETBOOK with windows 7. The CPU in netbooks is useless for running windows...

Brother has a newish Asus netbook which runs Windows XP just fine.

There is a Windows 7 version specific for netbooks, so that should work, too.

Take the point about a 125cc engine, but all I use my netbook for is messing around on here and sending/receiving a few emails at work.

I don't need a Fireblade for that.

Edited by ifithelps on 15/11/2009 at 13:55

Windows Vista - SP2 - jbif
I have just been "offered" SP2 but have not installed it as I think I have heard of subsequent computer problems. >>

SP2 has been out since May 2009. There were problems with SP1 locking up a significant number of PCs, but have not heard of any problems with SP2 installs.
Thanks jbif et al. I have been ofered the SP before but have rejected it. I will give it a try and see if I notice a difference
Windows Vista - SP2 - jbif
I have been ofered the SP before but have rejected it. I will give it a try and see if I notice a difference >>

There have been many further security updates after that, so it makes sense to get the whole lot installed ASAP.

Free support if you have problems:
www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-vista/quick-star...x
"If you have problems installing a service pack, Microsoft is here to help, free of charge. Microsoft provides free support covering any issue you have with installing service packs. For more information please visit the Windows Vista Service Pack support site."

[ SP2 standalone pack is 350 to 475 MB in size, depending on version selected. ]

Edited by jbif on 15/11/2009 at 12:01

Windows Vista - SP2 - Rattle
I am now a complete Linux convert for older laptops. I am running Ubuntu on my 3 year Celeron with 1.5GB RAM and it runs just like mid end dual cure systems running Vista. Takes 40 seconds to boot and less than two seconds to shut down. Video playback is extremely smooth and everything just works. I have only just realised how bad Vista was.

I am still sticking with it on my desktop though as programs like Photoshop are essential for me.

I am just sick of having to do so many registry hacks to make Vista usable. E.g you're typing an all important document, go to to loo come back and find it has restarted itself due to an update.

I am sure Windows 7 is an improvement but it is also a bit of a backward step for higher end systems. It is 2009 now, the entire desktop should be 3D by now.
Windows Vista - SP2 - bell boy
now that i have converted you, try puppy linux off a cd
its super super fast..............................
BBC iplayer died - bathtub tom
Anyone else having problems?

If I try to acces it in IE it tells me to install Flash - it is installed.

If I try to acces it in Firefox it tells me to enable javascript - it is.

I last used it a few days ago and nothing's changed on the PC.

I've tried clearing the cache, re-booting, to no avail.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
BBC iplayer died - Dynamic Dave
If I try to acces it in IE it tells me to install Flash - it is installed.

Check in the IE settings. I had the same problem last night. Although Flash was installed, it had been disabled in the IE settings.

Tools - options. Goto the Programs tab, then manage add ons.
I've just checked, it was enabled so I disabled it and re-enabled it. No change.
BBC iplayer died - Rattle
Download the flash removal tool, reinstall flash it should fix the problem. Come across this many a times, its usualy the flash player that becomes corrupt.
It's suddenly started working in firefox and I ain't done nuffink!

I'll try your suggestion in IE Rattle, thanks.
BBC iplayer died - colinh
Said it was under maintenance when I tried for the 1.00 pm news
Font has changed size all by itself - maltrap
Two days ago the font on my computer went very small, to the point where i find it difficult to read even with my glasses. I don,t think i,ve done anything to cause it but being a computer amateur i don,t know. My system is VISTA the monitor is an HP 17".

Thanks for any help offered.

{Changed header, as per the "Please Note" message at the start of the thread}

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 16/11/2009 at 19:20

Font has changed size all by itself - bell boy
dont have vista but try
view (top of page )left click it
scroll down to text size
click on the one you want

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 16/11/2009 at 19:21

Thanks BELLBOY. But whilst waiting for a reply the problem seems to have corrected itself.
Thanks again.

Font has changed size all by itself - Stuartli
Don't know if it also works with Vista but normally with Firefox and IE, using Ctrl + mouse scroll wheel or Ctrl and + or - will increase or decrease the font's size.

You may, in fact, have done this inadvertently.

Font has changed size all by itself - old crocks
Thanks Stu. This old dog has just learnt a new trick!

Font has changed size all by itself - perro
>>> You may, in fact, have done this inadvertently. <<<

The amount of times I've done this!!! luckily the missus knew what to do :)

Thanks Stuartli, it does work on VISTA. My fonts that big, my neighbor can read it from his house!
Netbooks vs laptops - legacylad
Back in May I was seriously considering buying my first laptop, and whether buying an extended warranty was worthwhile. After posting on here, I was dissuaded (thanks all who replied) because my 8 year old Dell desktop was perfectly adequate and has since been upgraded by a friend to XP and now runs Firefox.

However....the future Mrs L and myself make regular trips abroad and she likes to keep in touch with her 3 daughters....ring ring...see the pound signs...so a small Netbook to keep in touch by email seems a solution, and we could use it at home and on the move abroad. In practice, are these small 10" (or 11") screens worth the trouble, or should I buy a 15" laptop?Everyone I know (bar me) has a laptop, but nobody in my circle of acquaintances has a Netbook. Any recommendations please on either laptop/netbook or manufacturer. Budget is £250 ish.
Many thanks
Netbooks vs laptops - Happy Blue!
Which? have just tested a load and recommended five including

Samsung N120 - £350 77%
Samsung NC10 - £300 70% which I bought duty free at Dixons in Manchester airport last week for £240
Toshiba NB200 - £250 76%
Acer D150 - £290 75%
Asus EEE PC1000 - £245 71%

Not used the machine yet. Left in my flat overseas so I am not lugging so much hand luggage.
Netbooks vs laptops - SpamCan61 {P}
I use my Acer 9" screen netbook fairly regularly, mostly for web browsing / email / youtube / music playback and it's absolutely fine. It's got the common 1.6GHz Intel Atom processor and is running easy peasy ( the least annoying Linux distro. I could find) as OS. The only two downsides are battery life is pretty carp ( 2 hours on a good day) and you do end up doing a lot of scrolling when viewing web pages, due to the size and resolution of the display ( 1280 x 600 IIRC).

There are somewhat more expensive, fancier netbooks availble with larger displays and better battery life (and Windows XP), priced in much the same range as basic laptops. As a travel companion the netbook is way better than a laptop at anything like the price IMHO.
Netbooks vs laptops - VR6
I have a Samsung NC10. It is brilliant. 7 hours battery, really light weight, ideal for taking away with you.

I replaced a Dell 15.4" laptop.
It runs XP, and it works pretty well. The whole machine is not as fast as a laptop, but it is more than adequate for what I use it for (email/web/Word/Excel/Photos/Itunes). It struggles with things like video editing.

If you have a decent desktop, you should get a netbook.
Netbooks vs laptops - Manatee
Samsung NC10. Currently £238 and free delivery from dixons.co.uk with XP Home. 7 hours battery life. It's been out well over a year but not much has got near it, especially at this price.

The later N110 has a bit more battery life, a 250GB disk, and Win7 (Starter edition) but it's nearly £100 more. Given it's the same processor, I'd still pick the NC10. One of my jobs for this evening is to see if it would run Win7 Home Premium with a RAM upgrade, before I buy one - I'm quite liking Win7.

Edited by Manatee on 16/11/2009 at 18:29

Netbooks vs laptops - ifithelps
I have an 'original' 7" EeePC which is the best gadget I've bought in years.

Just the job for a bit of surfing, emailing, Skypeing, basic picture and music editing, listen again on BBC radio, and a few other bits an pieces besides.

Most of the newer netbooks have a larger screen, which makes them slightly less portable.

My EeePC runs Linux, which is quick and simple, but software upgrades are a pain, so on balance I'd prefer XP or Windows 7.

As others have said, make sure the battery life is long enough to suit your needs.
Thanks everyone for your most helpful replies.
I shall investigate the Samsung/Toshiba options...it looks like the Netbook is the way to go...very handy for taking away, and I can surf t'net and email in front of my stove instead of sitting in my cold 'office' upstairs!
Now off to ask questions at my local pub..its league quiz night and a few pints of Copper Dragon's Golden Pippin won't go amiss.
Thanks again
Netbooks vs laptops - Altea Ego
and you can use the netbook to google the answers!
Netbooks vs laptops - Rattle
Don't get me started on what a google farse a pub quiz now is.
Netbooks vs laptops - bell boy
used to do the quiz in the club monday nights for a gallon of beer until certain members started texting questions home to sons and daughters for them to google
dont bother doing it anymore,sad ending really as i enjoyed it
Netbooks vs laptops - rtj70
And now with t'internet on mobiles in the pub you can search wikipedia straight away. Music rounds can easily be cheated if you know the number of the service that texts you back the track it's heard playing too.
Netbooks vs laptops - Rattle
Yep I don't cheat none of hour team do and we still do well. However a simole question was asked. What year was Kylie's Locomotion released. I swore it was 1988 (I do remember the charts quite well from that time being a little kid) but the answer was 87 .Most people know that and most people in the bar were younger than me, people who were born in 1995 and such like. Must have all been cheating.

Pub quizzes need to ban use of mobile phones or any technology. Sorry back to topic...
As I said, its a league quiz, not a pub quiz, so only 8 participants in the room, plus the questionmaster. No cheating whatsoever...only good beer and free grub afterwards.
Never taken part in a pub quiz so cannot comment on people cheating. Seems like a poor show to me.
spotify - bell boy
been listening to this on the old valves via linux and wine and thought mm i will pay 9.99 for a month to feel the quality but it wont accept it
shame really
anyone else wish it was available too?
spotify - Altea Ego
I have no idea what you are taliking about BB, but I will have some of that wine of yours, its clearly good stuff.
spotify - Rattle
I am guessing he means something like Spotify he is playing via a valve amplifer and he is running Spotify via Wine because he can't afford to buy Windows? Am I right?
spotify - maz64
If you just want to listen to music in linux, try www.we7.com/ - doesn't require any downloads.
spotify - maz64
Sorry bb, it's getting near my bed time - what is it you are asking? Whether we wish spotify was available for linux, or just wish it was free, or something else?
spotify - bell boy
spoty wont play in linux unless you fool it into thinking its running microsoft or mac,therefore it wont take my ten quid for cd quality so i can appraise it for a month
simples see :-)
now who swore and mentioned microsoft
spotify - maz64
spoty wont play in linux unless you fool it into thinking its running microsoft or

In case you missed it above, try www.we7.com/ although I don't use spotify so it might not be what you're after.
spotify - Rattle
Its not working for me either. It runs perfectly under Wine but the sound is awful, it sounds really jittery and not right. I imagine a problem with the drivers :(

spotify - bell boy
hi Focus {P} im appraising it but immediately two problems crop up with your link
1/you have to know the correct spelling of the artist on we7 or it blanks it
2/ i cant seem to store my favourites on it so sorry im not keen,quality sounds a bit better mind so its not dismiffed completly mind
spotify - maz64
hi Focus {P} im appraising it but immediately two problems crop up with your link
1/you have to know the correct spelling of the artist on we7 or it blanks
it

Well not quite - as you type into the search box it comes up with matches, so there's a chance the artist (or song name) you are looking for will show up before you start spelling it wrong.
2/ i cant seem to store my favourites on it so sorry im not keen
quality sounds a bit better mind so its not dismiffed completly mind

I think you have to have an account and log in to save favorites - it works for me anyway.

EDIT: free registration

Edited by Focus {P} on 16/11/2009 at 22:48

spotify - Rattle
Just had a look at it, before I plug in my Grado SR60's do you know what bit rate it uses? Anything above 168bkps is just about listenable for me but I would prefer 320kbps (not likely!).

I am so annoyed I can't get spotifiy to work proper on Linux :( And I can't be bothered fixing it because I know it will most likely involve writing a trilion lines of code in C.
spotify - maz64
Just had a look at it before I plug in my Grado SR60's do you
know what bit rate it uses?

Assuming you mean We7, www.we7.com/#/help/using-we7

What bit rate do you stream at?

We stream all our music at 192kbps.
spotify - Rattle
Thanks Focus I missed that :) Thats actually better quality than Spotify which uses 168kbp unless you pay.
spotify - bell boy
yes its getting easier as i trawl but spoty is easier to be honest
thanks for the link mind
spotify - maz64
yes its getting easier as i trawl but spoty is easier to be honest
thanks for the link mind

I like it because it's free and works under linux, but the interface can feel a bit slow (on my slow laptop anyway).
I've got a sticky ' A ' - 1400ted
Haven't we all ?
Seriously...I can type a post or a letter then look at the screen and find that the letter A is missing from a lot of it.
I have to go back and stick 'em all in with a good thump.
Any cures ? The key does feel harder to press.
It's a Belkin wireless keyboard.

Ted
I've got a sticky ' A ' - Rattle
HAve you checked the batteries? If the batteries are not giving the amps they often drop letters.
Good thinking Rats...you must be getting better.
My Belkin mouse has gone all jerky and I was going to get some for that tomorrow, if I can afford them. Now I'll have to get extra....Oh, my poor pension !

Ted

Edit...It would be more economicl to leve the ' ' not working nd let the reder trnslte wht I hve written !

Edited by 1400ted on 16/11/2009 at 23:36

Feel a lot better tonight thanks :)
I've got a sticky ' A ' - bell boy
my postman drops letters
i will mention the amps to him tomorrow
is it curable then?
I've got a sticky ' A ' - Stuartli
Rattle.

But presumably letters other than A would be "dropped" in such cases?

Edited by Stuartli on 16/11/2009 at 23:36

Don't ask how how but it is often certain letters that get missed out.
Don't ask how how but it is often certain letters that get missed out. >>

If my wireless keyboard batteries die (I use rechargeables), then there are no letters....:-)
But I have seen them dropping certain letters plenty of times before the batteries actually die completely.
But I have seen them dropping certain letters plenty of times before the batteries actually
die completely.>>

Then it's unlikely to be the batteries....:-)

As I say, my wireless keyboard (and mouse) work wonderfully until they reach a certain discharge level, usually after a period of several weeks despite constant daily use.

After that it's a case of replacing the batteries or getting out the corded equivalents.......

Yet, surprisingly, the batteries still have quite a reasonable level of capacity left in both instances. I could switch one of the batteries for instance, to use in a wall clock, and it would/will work for several weeks or even months afterwards.
BB...do you mean your postmn ?

Ted