DVLA Scrapped car by mistake - streetyfatb
Right here goes:

I bought a car from a dealer on 14/10/2006 it was a mere 2.5 years old. I signed the paperwork for the V5 (which I never personally received after). The car had 12 months tax - becomes important.

At this time I had two cars including the new one. The old one had to be scrapped which it was a couple of weeks later. The company doing this asked my mum for some more paper work (I was only 19 still at home student) of which she gave them. Now she gave them the documents for both cars instead of just the old one. I never had the new one in my hand ever or saw it. This lead to (on paper anyway) both cars being issued a destruction certificate (crushed/cubed). However my new car has never been cubed but my old car had been.

The problem did not come to my attention until the tax ran out and I needed to re-tax. The police stopped me - but were ok and made me aware of the problem and let me carry on. The garage where I bought seemed to be rude and defensive and my mum contacted the scrap yard with no luck.

Over the past 2 years (from when tax ran out - as were unaware of the problem till then) we have sent several letters to the DVLA with little luck.

Finally, this month the vehicle was inspected and VIN numbers checked at the Nottingham office. I rang on the 26/10/09 to check progress they said it passed V5 on way shortly, after having an argument with another DVLA member.

However, today I get a call from the guy dealing with it saying the vehicle has been flooded and is in bad condition and therefore unroad worthy, I will not be getting my V5. I must say this car has never ever been flooded and is absolute nonsense! He said he was just referring to the report given. I believe this has been said due to my argument with a college.

Therefore, I had the inspection officer contact me who said the car was not flooded but it possibly could have been but the reason the car was not allowed a V5 was because it has taken 3 years to get this 'sorted'. Now I explained that wasn?t what I was told and she said she could so nothing because a certificate of destruction was issued??? Conflicting stories!

I must point out it was apparently flooded whilst in my possession. But if this was the case I would have an insurance claim (which I never have had and I am fully comp).

I have just come off the phone to them, initially they said when it was inspected it was flooded (but she only checked VIN numbers nothing else which I would assume be needed to test flooding as there were no signs). When I asked the guy and questioned it they changed their mind to it being flooded hence why it was scrapped back in 2006 ? which never happened hence why I have the car! Now they are saying it has taken too long to sort out to issue V5, so one thing after another not to issue the log book. But I say again if the car were flooded I would have claimed on the insurance only being 2.5 years old and worth £6-7k.

Needless to say I am waiting to hear back, what can I do?

Basically: Mum scrapped my car - not licensed to do so. But fault lays with scrap yard surely?

How do I get V5?

The scrap yard should match vehicles to V5 (reg doc) before scrapping which they did not do? Are they responsible for the error and it?s court action I need to take?

I am really needing to sell car and need sound expert advice?

Many Thanks For Your Time

James Street

DVLA Scrapped car by mistake - daveyjp
Lost me after paragraph 3.
DVLA Scrapped car by mistake - bell boy
a full and proper hpi is needed first as something sounds fishy
i mean a proper hpi too not a text service one
DVLA Scrapped car by mistake - OldSock
Lost me after paragraph 3.

Yes, it does sound a bit 'Catherine Tate' :-)
Bought new car.
Scrapped Old Car.
Old car was scrapped.
New car was not scrapped.
Both cars showing scrapped on record of DVLA.
Scrap yard admin error.
DVLA wont issue log book after inspection.

Its not that difficult, is it? Or have I been trying to sort this out for too long?
Bought new car.

<>>>>>>>>>>.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>no
you say you bought a car 2.5 years old
what does the hpi show that i told you to do?
Car was new to me. Bought from dealer, HPI was supplied at the time.

HPI shows no vehicle exists as it has been 3 years

The DVLA say it has been given a certificate of destruction.

Edited by streetyfatb on 29/10/2009 at 19:35

DVLA Scrapped car by mistake - rtj70
How can it be two years since the tax ran out? And how do you MOT and insure the car if it does not exist.

Sounds dubious story to me.
DVLA Scrapped car by mistake - Robin Reliant
This site seems to have become a magnet for first time posters struggling with legal problems that would have the courts tied up for years.
yes
DVLA Scrapped car by mistake - Fernando P
It seems that you, as the legal owner and responsible person, should have had a better grip of the paperwork for the "new" vehicle and only released the appropriate documentation for the vehicle to be scrapped. A solution might be for you to take the vehicle to your "local" DVLA, provide an explanation of the background and invite an inspection of the vehicle with a view to proving that it has not been scrapped.
Hi,

I was under the impression that this was a forum full of knowledgable people who would kindly offer their guidance to help solve or direct me to a solution to my extremely unavoidable position. Unavoidable because I didn't ask my number to open my post, get the log book and hand it to the scrap yard! But the scrap yard should have checked the named owner and the vehicle against paperwork.

With regards the last post, if the person had taken the time to read my inital post, I did not make any error whatsoever. It was my mother who got the paper work mixed up. Furthermore the scrap yard that did not physically scrap the vehicle but did so on paper so that too was their error - it is their responsibility to check the paperwork against cars scrapped.

Also, again my first post states that I have had a DVLA check and they still wont issue a log book (V5). I have informed them of the problem and also the scrap yard who aren't admitting fault (but if they had cubed the car why do I have the car?). Also why (if the car was in fact 'flooded' in my possesion) did I not claim on my insurance??

I have not made any contribution to these problems caused. I suggest people take the time to understand my first post, which isn't difficult if you take two minutes, they would know all relavent information. If like some of you have already took the time to do this I would not be repeating myself. This is a very stressful problem for me and I hope to get this sorted, I appreciate that was my first post but again I was recommended here and expected a welcome not to be called down. Anyway I am not going to be treated like I am stupid, I have done all can I need further advise, if you do not know or havent taken time to understand the problem please do not post.

Edited by streetyfatb on 29/10/2009 at 22:21

DVLA Scrapped car by mistake - enfield freddy
ok , this was asked before , and now I will ask this question?

1:how have you managed to tax the car , if DVLA say it is scrapped

2: how can you submit a car for a MOT , if the car does not exist.

please answer those two questions
And:

3. How can you insure a car that does not exist.

Unless he's since been driving around in an untaxed, uninsured and non-MOT's car. In which case the police will eventually seize it and crush it. Thus car state matches DVLA's database.

To say: "The problem did not come to my attention until the tax ran out and I needed to re-tax. The police stopped me...

Makes us all wonder a bit - the tax ran out two years ago. So streetyfatb, having bought the car 3 years ago how can this still not be resolved? If indeed it's true at all.

And please don't get annoyed with the members asking questions to determine exactly what mess you've got yourself into. Thanks.

Edited by rtj70 on 29/10/2009 at 23:51

DVLA Scrapped car by mistake - Fullchat
Firstly without reading your initial post more than once its not easy to understand all your problems due to written structural, grammatical and spelling mistakes.

Secondly this is YOUR problem and not taking ownership of the problem; its not your Mum's and its not the salvage yard, its YOURS and should have been dealt with a bit more expeditiously. Everyone of your initial contacts has been 'rude, defensive or provided little luck'

What did you expect from the garage that sold you the car? What did you expect from the salvage yard? Why has it taken 2 years? In 2007 salvage yards were destroying hundreds of cars written off in the summer floods.

I really cannot see a problem with the garage providing some evidence of sale, the salvage yard providing some confirmation of a mistake they made and your insurance company providing some written evidence that you have not made a claim. Armed with all that and a face to face discussion with someone at your local LVLO who will be able to access the cars history then you should be able to get it sorted.

A logical approach and communication is the way forward.

Edited by Fullchat on 29/10/2009 at 23:03

DVLA Scrapped car by mistake - ijws15
And when you go to the DVLA be polite and DO NOT get into an argument with them. Don't be afraid to admit you made mistakes.

Remember - You want them to do something for you. Approach them with the wrong attitude and you will get nowhere.

If the car is not taxed/MOTed/insured don't drive it to the DVLA office.
DVLA Scrapped car by mistake - Sofa Spud
This sounds like a story worth taking to the press, or even to BBC's Watchdog.
Hi,

Just to confirm, the car is insured and always has been with Direct Line fully comp and has always had a valid MOT. Due to the length of time it has taken this has made things more difficult.

I don't know how this is, but it is OK!

It is more diffult because, I have had to pick up the pieces and put them together to find out what has happened. The police say no vehicle comes up with my reg, but DVLA have a certificate of destruction.

Also to RTJ70 - Can I ask how I asked for any of this? How did I get myself into this mess? I didn't ask my mum to get involved she did it unknowingly as did the scrap yard. Please dont post again my 2 year old could provide more useful information than you have in your previous posts. Insulting me and jumping to conclusions is getting me no where, I suggest you stick to what you know - which isn't legal matters with cars.

To Fullchat - I have tried exactly what you said but there is always an excuse as to why they will not issue a log book, I think they are just being a pain. I have contacted citizens advise and they say I have a strong case and will be contacting me monday. I was a just turned 19 year old student and didn't know what to do really hence why its taken so long - not a good excuse maybe but I didn't really see an admin error as such a big deal at the time. I know now I was weong.

ijws15 - Thank you for your imput I am trying but the DVLA are being a pain think I am going to have to take this to court as they are ignoring the cars existance even after seeing it in perfect condition fist hand.

If anyone can come up with any useful and suggestive ideas that would be great.

Turned down some of the SHOUTING. You seem to also have an issue with some questions from the site members who are trying to gather information before suggesting possible solutions. Rob (Moderator)

Edited by rtj70 on 30/10/2009 at 11:31

If you've dealt with the DVLA with this attitude it is not surprising you've not got very far in 2 years. If the car is scrapped according to DVLA records, how can it be insured?
What does the MID show when you do a search with the registration here:

www.askmid.com/ownvehicle/
DVLA Scrapped car by mistake - TheOilBurner
You're in a whole lot of pain here with the DVLA. They're not known for being helpful, flexible or handy in sorting out complex problems.

Chances are, now they've recorded the car as scrapped, their computer system will not allow them to change its status.

In other words, you're royally stuffed. Hence why DVLA are being such a pain. The poor person on the other end of the phone probably doesn't know how to sort the situation, if it is fixable at all.

Welcome to hell!

It might help to research other people's problems with sending licences back, only to lose entitlement or, indeed the licence altogether. If anybody has had any success solving that kind of problem, it might give you some pointers in how to deal with your situation.
Oilburner, I too wonder if the car's VIN has been registered as scrapped if the computer allows them to undo that status. And if the VIN is marked as scrap and the reg number no longer in use, I still cannot see how the car could be taxed or insured.

I wonder what ANPR makes of a reg number that shouldn't exist?

The only people who can start sorting out this problem is the DVLA. So it looks like a trip back to them is needed. But should he even be driving the car at the moment?
Assume you've read:

tinyurl.com/DVLA-VIC-Webpage

To quote:

"The Vehicle Identity Check (VIC) scheme has been introduced as a deterrent to ringing. Insurers must notify the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) of all cars ?written off? within salvage categories A, B or C. This notification will set a ?VIC marker? against the DVLA vehicle record. Whilst a VIC marker remains set, DVLA won?t issue a registration certificate V5C, or vehicle licence reminder V11. The VIC marker will only be removed, when the car passes a VIC."

I know yours is not scrapped/damaged but maybe this is the problem. The VIC marker needs removing?
DVLA Scrapped car by mistake - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}
November 'What Car' has an article about missing V5 forms used to clone cars written off in floods IIRC. Sorry.
rtj70 you are correct in most points and i fully agree with you.
The poster says car was insured and mot"d but fails to mention road tax,the reason is because they would not have been able to obtain it and therefore it has run untaxed since it last legally ran out (fact). This point has been sidetracked by the poster and is the reason the car was pulled in my opinion,as most large cities now have an anpr system in place certainly leeds and bradford does
The vic is the way forward not to get the marker off because it hasnt got one but to get a vic means that the system would recognise this car as having a unique chassis number and is not a clone of another car.It would obviously show up on the v5c when issued as having accident damage but it would be in the remit of dvla to assign a new age related plate assuming the car is indeed legit
Im still of the opinion this was a breaker that was sold on after it was written off by the insurers back in its first life but op says he cant do a hpi on the chassis number he has. so I I dont believe this by the way,certainly a phone call to hpi would be my first step forward as i said in post 3 ish yesterday
Obviously some people on gods earth cant be helped,lets see what the poster comes back with eh?
DVLA Scrapped car by mistake - jbif
lets see what the poster comes back with eh? >>

Agreed. He needs to
1. answer all the unanswered questions, as until then his story doesn't seem to make sense.
2. realise that on an open forum such as this one, he will get all kinds of replies and he cannot expect to get free legal advice here.
3. realise that his frustration, however genuine the reasons behind it, should not be allowed to spill over on to a forum where he is hoping to get some help.
4. realise that if the helpful pointers given on here are not going to get him any further, he has two official means of solving his problem:
a. www.dft.gov.uk/dvla/contactus/if_things_go_wrong.a...x
b. www.writetothem.com/

Edited by jbif on 30/10/2009 at 12:35

Im still of the opinion this was a breaker that was sold on after it was written off by the
insurers back in its first life

You could be right. He is assuming the V5C he never saw was handed over by his mum and this car was "scrapped" by the scrap yard. What if the car was already flagged as scrapped? And since it is technically scrapped he cannot do an HPI.

I think I'd at least call VOSA on the 0800 in the link I gave to ask them. It's a free phone call.
Oilburner I too wonder if the car's VIN has been registered as scrapped if the
computer allows them to undo that status.

It would make sense, wouldn't it. Otherwise it opens the door for scrapped cars to come back to life, in the form of stolen cars trying to take on the identity of long since crushed motors.

>>And if the VIN is marked as scrap
and the reg number no longer in use I still cannot see how the car
could be taxed or insured.

Maybe, maybe not. Insurance I could see that at a push, they may accept the cars details on good faith, even if it isn't on the DVLA computer. Tax OTOH, is another matter... Don't the Post Office require a visual check of the V5 or reminder letter? The online service wouldn't allow it at all. It's been so long since I did it over the counter, I'm not sure.

"You're nicked son!"
But should he even be driving the car at the moment?

Very good question...
DVLA Scrapped car by mistake - Andrew-T

I should think the driver becomes untouchable? The system would assume a misread, and carry on as if nothing had happened?
Wouldn't they pull them to be sure? Otherwise the easiest method to evade these systems would be to make up a number plate that doesn't officially exist...
DVLA Scrapped car by mistake - Bill Payer
Can a car be MOT'd these (computerised) days if it doesn't exist on the DVLA database?

OP: Go to your local MP's next surgery and set them onto the DVLA.

Edited by Bill Payer on 30/10/2009 at 15:04