Diesel engine filtering atmosphere at 0.06 - oilrag
Just passed it`s MOT and recorded 0.06 on the fast pass. The limit`s 3.00, I believe for a turbo diesel.
I didn`t even bother giving it a good blow out, prior to the test either. But that said, always take it up to 4,000 revs once, on every hot engine trip.

Sad that later incarnations are fitted with a DPF, but I suppose they are even better on the emissions test. Are they?

Edited by oilrag on 26/10/2009 at 20:10

Diesel engine filtering atmosphere at 0.06 - voy2age

the limit on the fast pass is 1.50 btw, i take it it is a new car?, because 0.06 is very low!. i passed mine on the fast pass and got a reading of 0.80, which i thoyght was a good reading

Diesel engine filtering atmosphere at 0.06 - dieselnut

I had a 51 reg C5 2.2 diesel quite a few years ago, it was one of the first diesels to be fitted with a DPF. Took it to my local council MOT ststion that I always use. At that time it had 150k on the clock. I waited while they tested it & heard them continually revving it while doing the smoke test. It passed ok & they gave me the brake test & smoke test printed sheets. Smoke was 0.00, they thought that their smoke tester had gone wrong. LOL.

Diesel engine filtering atmosphere at 0.06 - unthrottled

I free revving test isn't reflective of actual emissions.

A low reading can simply be down to conservative fuelling during transients.

Otoh, i saw a 1.9 PD DPF fail its fast pass smoke test-and that was only euro IV compliant. What gives?