Omega Instrument illumination - robert
Hi all,

One of the instrument illumination bulbs has blown in my Omega. The Haynes manual says to remove the steering wheel to get the panel out.

Does anyone know if this is necessary to do this seemingly simple job.

In anticipation.

Robert
Omega Instrument illumination - Dynamic Dave
If you got reach/rake adjustment on the steering wheel, you "might" just be able to get it in the right place to give you some clearance between dash and the wheel. Just about possible on the Astra, but then that does have a smaller instrument panel.
If you do have to remove the steering wheel, watch out that the Air bag doesn't go off. Haynes have probably got a disclaimer suggesting you take it to the dealer or something.
Omega Instrument illumination - Simon Templar

Robert,
Unsure if you have an airbag on your Omega but the German car franchised agents (That I use & trust) assured me that it was very much a "grey area" in electronic terms.

Simon T.
All done now. Took it nice & gentle and got the whole instrument cluster out over the top of the tilted (airbag) wheel. Whole thing end to end only took 20 mins as well.

Regards ...... Robert
Omega Instrument illumination - volvoman
It'd be very interesting to find out how much a Vx dealer would have charged you and whether they would have costed it at 20 mins labour !!
Omega Instrument illumination - Dynamic Dave
I hve posted this previously, so apologise to those who have read it.
My Dad had an "S" Reg Astra. The Digital Odometer back light bulb failed. Was quoted over £50 by Vauxhall main agent to remove the speedo assembly from the dash to replace the bulb. They told him it would take an hour to do.
I did the job for him. Took me less than 20 mins and the new bulb cost pennies.
Omega Instrument illumination - volvoman
Now why doesn't that surprise me DD ??
Omega Instrument illumination - Jonathan {p}
I think the breakdown could have been something like this.

10 minutes labour to remove instrument panel.
10 minutes to go and get bulb from stores.
10 minutes to go and get correct bulb from stores.
10 minutes labour to refit instrument panel.

20 minutes to valet car.

New bottle of screenwash.

All in £120.

Omega Instrument illumination - Chad.R
Robert,

I've got a blown bulb in my Omega too (the one on the fuel gauge side) but I haven't got the tilting SW; Will I be able to remove the panel without removing the wheel first?

Chad.R
Hi Chad,

I wish you had asked the question before I did the work!
I wouldn't swear to it, but I'd say no.

Regards ....... Robert
Omega Instrument illumination - svpworld
This is very good news! I fortunately haven't experienced any blown bulbs in my omega gls yet (3yrs) but when eventually I do, I considered replacing all the bulbs as a precaution. I also fancied some green or blue ones instead! Hope you didnt find any creaks after refitting, i'd be interested in the details of removing it if you can email me when you have time.

Kind regards
Simon

Will do ......
Here goes ......

1) Remove both centre vents. This is quite easy & you don't need any tools.
2) Remove surround from vents - two screws hold this in place. Also reveals one of the two screws holding instrument panel in place. Remove this screw also.
3) Turn wheel through 90 degrees to reveal hidden screw cap. Remove hidden cap and screw.
4) Turn wheel though "other" 90 degrees and repeat for other cap/screw.
5) Remove three phillips screws from underneath column steering.
6) Tilt column all the way down
7) Unscrew column tilt lever
8) Remove top & bottom covers from column - these fit together - also be careful of stalk rubbers & key surround.
9) Unscrew lower panel screw. This is in center of column at the top - you will need to bend down to see it. Also be careful it dosn't fall into column adjustment mechanism!
10) Remove panel over top of wheel - hinging around LH side to avoid having to undo the computer cable.

Take it nice & slow. You may need to tilt the column withe the covers off - just screw in the adjustment lever.

HTH.

Robert
Omega Instrument illumination - phil-johno
I have a 97 Omega 2.5 GLS and the bulb behind the fuel gauge had blown, I have no steering adjustment but I though I would give it a go anyway rather than pay the silly prices the dealer charges. Good news if you fancy trying this as there is just enough room to fit the new bulb and it looks like there is enough room to change most of the bulbs (to the rev gauge anyway). This is all thanks to Robert who gave great step by step instructions as above, before this I had no idea where to begin. The only thing I did notice was that you need to push the dashboard back in before trying it out as I though I had killed the dash but it doesn't get power unless it is pushed right back, oh, and dont pinch the bulb out of the map light like I did because it is brighter than the others (my own fault for being impatient and jumping in before buying a bulb but thought it was a good idea at the time.) Thanks for the info Robert and there is no need to be freightened of the beast, just take your time.
Omega Instrument illumination - phil-johno
Just been to a local motor factors and bought the right bulb and decided to give it another go, got this to a 'T' now, it only takes about 10 minutes and there was no need to take off the wheel