Woman charged for deliberately drenching kids - harib
A woman has voluntarily handed herself in after video footage was found on YouTube of her deliberately drenching a bunch of schoolkids at a bus-stop.

Story is here (SkyNews):

tinyurl.com/yldetus

YouTube video is here (not the original):

www.youtube.com/watch?v=0aeN6INOrUM

I think the comments section sums up the IQ of the average YouTube poster... and as for the driver and passenger - well some people aren't really mentally equipped to be handling a 1 ton piece of machinery...
Woman charged for deliberately drenching kids - Rattle
Good I got drenched before a lecture when I was waiting outside Salford Crescent. A bus went whizzing past and drenched me on purpose. It caused a lot of damage, my Nokia 3210 died and my so did my Zip disk which had all my work on it :( luckily I also had copies of it all on my hard drive but Zip disks cost £12 each at the time and my phone cost me £50 to replace.

I should have got his number and complained to the bus company, now they all have CCTV so I could have done easily back then it was my word against theirs.
Woman charged for deliberately drenching kids - David Horn
Yeah, but your Zip disk would have died anyway when you needed to actually get anything important from it. Click. Click. Click... ;-)
Woman charged for deliberately drenching kids - Rattle
Indeed, I remember towards that year I gave up and spend about £60 on a 128MB flash disk when they had just come out. I remember the university went through a phase of deciding on LS120 or Zip and Zip one. At the time the biggest flash disks were 16MB which made them pretty hopless.

Anyway back on topic there is sometimes a place sillyness but behind the steering wheel is not one them. The woman should now have a mental assesment to see if she is fit to be on the roads. Maybe all learners should have this as a part of their test?
Woman charged for deliberately drenching kids - Blue {P}
It must be me being childish, but I thought it was quite funny. :-)
Woman charged for deliberately drenching kids - deepwith
Glad it amused you, Blue.
Me less so when a 'person' in a van did this to me while I was pushing my son in his buggy one lunch time. He missed his afternoon school as his Hickman Line* and line-site got soaked in foul roadside water, meaning a bath, sterilization of the area and the switch plus a complete change of clothing for us both. I presume he got more 'points' for wetting someone in a wheelchair?
*In case you are unaware, a Hickman line goes directly into the heart and is used to give chemotherapy and take bloods, more or less daily.
Woman charged for deliberately drenching kids - doctorchris
I remember when my mate drenched a load of kids on a not yet made up road on a new housing estate. This was in Blackburn, circa 1976.
No Police or legal issues, the kids' dad just came round and threatened to punch Mick's lights out if he ever dared do that again.
A much more effective deterrent against such future behaviour than the due process of the law or CCTV.
Of course, those kids were not permanently wired up to any elecronic devices so they just had soaked clothes that needed to be put through the twin-tub.
Woman charged for deliberately drenching kids - Martin Devon
>>Maybe all learners should have this as a part of their test?

That's the Corsa stuffed then. Baseball hats anyone.

MD
Woman charged for deliberately drenching kids - barney100
Isn't it classed as assault?
Woman charged for deliberately drenching kids - Ben 10
"It must be me being childish, but I thought it was quite funny. :-)"

I didn't.
I can't stand this kind of driving, from anyone. There is no need to do what she did. Pure malice.

It was deliberate and wrong. The idiot was motoring quite fast for conditions IMO. The puddle appears to be almost across the road, so there was a slim chance at that speed of aquaplaning and losing control. She should have slowed down knowing by the commentary that kids were at the roadside.

If you had been in your "best" or your gran or wife had been there I'm sure you would have been hopping mad. It wasn't clever and the least she should do is pay for any dry cleaning or any equipment damaged. And yes, you are as childish as her !

Edited by spood on 14/10/2009 at 23:15

Woman charged for deliberately drenching kids - Stuartli
It's been an offence for as long as I can remember to deliberately or otherwise drench a pedestrian or pedestrians whilst driving a vehicle.

In fact I can recall reporting such cases in my junior reporting days. See:

www.olliersmotorlaw.co.uk/inconsiderate.html
Woman charged for deliberately drenching kids - Blue {P}
And yes you
are as childish as her !

Good, pleased it means I don't have to grow up yet lol.

I appreciate I would have been mad if it had been me, but I wasn't, and therefore it was quite funny. :-) Remember there is a low budget TV show, You've Been Framed, which entertains a lot of people by getting them to laugh at other's misfortune.

I don't approve of doing it mind, and I certainly wouldn't aim to do it myself.
Woman charged for deliberately drenching kids - stunorthants26
Kids these days dont wash nearly enough, public service surely? :-) I actually saw this done the other day to a couple of ramblers and in real life, it amuses much, especially to that particular brand of zelot :-)
Woman charged for deliberately drenching kids - zookeeper
well if the council could be bothered to clean the gullies out now and again the blocked drains wouldnt occur and flooded roads wouldnt be a problem...rant rant etc etc
Woman charged for deliberately drenching kids - Dutchie
People who do this on purpose have a mental problem.Happened to my wife years ago.Had words with the driver i was very close to fistycuffs .
Woman charged for deliberately drenching kids - madf
Happens to me when running. I make a very rude gesture after the driver which makes me feel happier even if wet...(although I will often be wearing waterproof running gear and shoes).

When it's snowing or icy then I get mental revenge..as I watch drivers skidding...
Woman charged for deliberately drenching kids - Cliff Pope
It appeared to be an enormous puddle. Only a complete berk would go and stand by it waiting to get splashed.
Woman charged for deliberately drenching kids - George Porge
It appeared to be an enormous puddle. Only a complete berk would go and stand
by it waiting to get splashed.

A bus stop?

She was going at a fair old pace, if the car had aquaplaned they'd have all been dead, I hope they ban her.

At 29 she's old enough to know better
"Only a complete berk would go and stand by it waiting to get splashed."

The the berk is the driver who performs such a stunt.

Those people had every right to stand at that kerb. The onus is on the driver to slow down, even to a crawl and negotiate the water without splashing anyone or flooding ;-) the engine.

How many times during downpours do we see idiots like this try and drive through a flooded underpass and get stuck, having to be assisted out by emergency services.

Edited by spood on 15/10/2009 at 10:01

Woman charged for deliberately drenching kids - b308
I have a confession to make that when I was learning to drive I actually did drench someone by driving through a puddle, I can put it down to inexperience (cars coming the other way, and very early in my driving lead to a lack of experience and thus not knowing what to do)... I did however get a big rollocking from my instructor and have never done it since... and I didn't laugh about it either!!
Woman charged for deliberately drenching kids - daveyjp
As a newly qualified driver I thought it would be fun to hit a similar sized puddle at about 30 - there was no one around, i just thought it would be fun.

It wasn't until the front end started to aquaplane and I only just kept in control that I realised it wasn't a good idea.

I've never done it since.

Puddles are also very good at hiding large potholes and trenches, not something to hit at speed.

Best deterrent for this is to reinforce that a driving licence is a privilege and increase requirements for a retest - she obviously learned nothing first time round so needs to show she is a fit driver.

Edited by daveyjp on 15/10/2009 at 10:24

Woman charged for deliberately drenching kids - maz64
If woman hasn't done this sort of thing before and hasn't had much contact with the BiB, then I would have thought that a good stiff talking-to by a big policeman in uniform would probably do the job. He could then drive her around to the kids' houses so she can apologize.
Woman charged for deliberately drenching kids - dieseldogg
Except, being an ould farmers son, why would they be so stupid as to stand on to get wet.
However absolutly, throw the book at the driver, she and her partner appear to be examplars of what is wrong with our society
I would also have agreed that they were driving pretty fast , but am not aware of the limit for this stretch of road

Edited by Pugugly on 15/10/2009 at 11:39

If woman hasn't done this sort of thing before and hasn't had much contact with
the BiG then I would have thought that a good stiff talking-to by a big
policeman in uniform would probably do the job. He could then drive her around to
the kids' houses so she can apologize.

Or send her to Tenerife?

Premeditated, filmed and posted on the famous video clip site by these chinless buffoons, so no remorse...............

Make an example I say
Woman charged for deliberately drenching kids - Stuartli
>>He could then drive her around to the kids' houses so she can apologize.>>

The first bit is fine, but this would probably prove a waste of police time.

More telling will be the publicity when the case comes to court and the considerable amount of contempt likely to be expressed for a second time by the public.
Woman charged for deliberately drenching kids - Clanger
I have a confession to make ...

OK I'll confess as well. Some years ago friend used to run a Citroen indie in Bradford and had a newish BX 17TD for sale. Would I like to take it for a thrash and have a pie and a pint later? Sounds like a good Sunday morning diversion. During the night there had been an enormous thunderstorm and there were large patches of water everywhere and reports of flash floods. The following morning as I took over the keys the sun was blasting down, the pavements were steaming, the greenery was twinkling and all was well with the world. Somewhere around Cookridge I came upon a flooded road with a Honda Accord stopped in the middle. It contained an elderly couple. The water was lapping around the door bottoms. I stopped and lifted the suspension. What did friend think? Go for it, it's nearly opening time. So I fearlessly launched the BX at the flood. The side windows were obscured with muddy water as I surfed past the Accord. When I glanced in the mirror the Honda's occupants were flailing around in some distress; they both appeared to be wiping their faces with tissues or handkerchiefs. I'm guessing they had left their sunroof open while they waited for the breakdown service not expecting a drenching from some thoughtless hooligan.

I don't approve drenching pedestrians or cyclists deliberately. As a cyclist I have probably received more than my fair share of Karmic retribution for the above.
Woman charged for deliberately drenching kids - Pugugly
Can't believe the level of bad language and pathetic insults traded on YouTube - they should invest in a swear filter.
Woman charged for deliberately drenching kids - Galaxy
Wasn't there a story a couple of years ago about someone who did this during their driving test and was failed because of it?

Woman charged for deliberately drenching kids - tintin01
Just watched it. She seemed to be going at quite a speed - it could have ended very badly imo. What a pair of idiots. I would like to see her face the humiliation in court and get a few points.
Can't believe the level of bad language and pathetic insults traded on YouTube - they
should invest in a swear filter.

PU then DON'T look at the comments from some American viewers re: some Music/Band videos etc. It makes you want to be sick sometimes and their pathetic attitudes, well...............Glad we live here, but it isn't getting any better. Another subject maybe. Mother never said it would be this bad.

MD
Woman charged for deliberately drenching kids - FotheringtonThomas
Good. I hope that apart from any damages she might pay personally, and any fine that she hopefully pays, and any points she hopefully gets, that she is ordered to apologise personally in front of the whole Skool at assembly.

Incidentally, the spokesman for Devon & Cornwall Constabulary, referred to in the article:

"A spokesman for Devon and Cornwall Police told Sky News Online: "Deliberately splashing people by driving through a big puddle could mean that the motorist was driving without reasonable consideration for other road users."

Is rather indicative. This: "could mean" is more accurately rendered as: "means".
Woman charged for deliberately drenching kids - Lud
I can't help agreeing with CP: if the bus stop is right beside an enormous deep puddle, it seems a very good idea to stand somewhere else, and keep a sharp lookout for the bus. Even a slow-moving vehicle can make a wave that will wet a pedestrian's feet, without the driver meaning any harm.

I agree it isn't all that funny to soak bystanders on purpose, but since when did that deter the average robust practical joker?
Woman charged for deliberately drenching kids - Hamsafar
I hope those people who got drenched now make civil claims for their ruined Chanel purses, and wrecked electronic gadgets.

"Zip disk which had all my work on it :( luckily I also had copies of it all on my hard drive but Zip disks cost £12 each at the time" -

What a coincidence, yours are probably the even older 5" ones? I have just found ~70 brand new ZIP100MB and ZIP250MB cartridges at work and about ~100 SONY double density CD-Rs (1.3GB) whatever they are!
It seems such a shame to bin them all.
What a coincidence yours are probably the even older 5" ones? I have just found
~70 brand new ZIP100MB and ZIP250MB cartridges at work and about ~100 SONY double density
CD-Rs (1.3GB) whatever they are!

Freecycle them ;o)

freecycle.org/display.php?region=United%20Kingdom
Woman charged for deliberately drenching kids - maz64

Still being sold - try ebay with 50p initial price and no reserve?
www.beachaudio.com/Blank-Media/Zip-Cartridges-c-93...l
Woman charged for deliberately drenching kids - Cliff Pope
I think the module "Stand back from a puddle in case you get splashed" doesn't come until Key Stage 27, so they can't be expected to have worked that out for themselves.

I hope their mummies rubbed them down well afterwards, because you can catch a nasty chill from getting wet.
Woman charged for deliberately drenching kids - TheOilBurner
I thought that they had to wait until they arrived at Tescos before learning that?

Been soaked by passing cars many times when running same as Madf. On one occasion the builders van that drenched me get stopped at the next lights and I caught up with them.

Obviously I'm too much of a coward to go up to the window and give them some verbal, so instead, to make sure they realised how much I didn't give a damn, I deliberately and very obviously jumped into a HUGE puddle near the lights, gave them a grin and jogged off on my way. I had very wet shoes, but it was worth it for the look on their faces. :)
I hope their mummies rubbed them down well afterwards because you can catch a nasty
chill from getting wet.

You can catch much worse from overflowing drains during a flood, its a moronic thing to do.

I hope the publish her address in the local rag and the children seek their revenge.

I wonder if they'll move the bus stop?
Woman charged for deliberately drenching kids - FotheringtonThomas
It's all available on the 'net, of course - but I would condone revenge-seeking, except by proper means.
Woman charged for deliberately drenching kids - tonyrees68
If someone did that to my kids i would call it a physical assault and press charges further to what she might get from a road traffic fine
Tony
Woman charged for deliberately drenching kids - gordonbennet
Good, hope it's a particularly beligerent judge on the day.

To do this deliberately is the act of a nasty small minded bully.
Woman charged for deliberately drenching kids - ifithelps
I wouldn't allow someone to mess around with a mobile phone camera and make so much noise while I was driving.

Passengers should sit still and not distract the driver.

Furthermore, they should sit properly upright, and not, as I have seen, with their feet on the dashboard.

Woman charged for deliberately drenching kids - Dave_TD
According to the PA article the kids at the bus stop ASKED her to splash them...

bit.ly/18cCw4
Woman charged for deliberately drenching kids - Armitage Shanks {p}
So how did kids standing at a bus stop ask a woman in an approaching car to splash them? Story still isn't quite clear, to me at least.
" ASKED her to splash them..."

That's no excuse.
She did not have to comply if this was the case. Driving too fast for the conditions, passing so close to the kerb, as if she could see that. She could have taken them all out if she had lost control. And her excuse would have been... they ASKED for it!

>>I have just found 70 brand new ZIP100MB and ZIP250MB cartridges at work and about ~100 SONY double density CD-Rs (1.3GB) whatever they are!

Your firm's on top of their Stationery cupboard then 'H' !!!

MD