96 1.9 Engine coolant drain plug. - parchwba
Can someone please tell me where the engine coolant drain plug is. I can't find it. The Haynes manual states its on the rear of the engine block but it doesn't say where abouts.
96 1.9 Engine coolant drain plug. - dam
If its not on rad, disconnect bottem hose, job done
96 1.9 Engine coolant drain plug. - macavity
On the radiator where the bottom hose joins the radiator there will be a plastic drain plug, that can be undone by hand. Just twist, but do not try to fully remove.
Thanks guys, I know where the rad drain plug is. In the Haynes manual it says there is another drain plug on the engine block that i need to open when replacing the coolant and flushing the system. This is the one I can't find.

Or are we saying that I only need to drain and flush the system using the rad drain plug?

Thanks, Parchwba
96 1.9 Engine coolant drain plug. - mjm
It?s up behind the exhaust system towards the bottom of the cylinder block. If you are changing coolant then it is worth doing the thermostat as well. When you have the old thermostat out, run some clean water into the thermostat housing and let it drain out of the bottom hose. If the old coolant was any good then there shouldn?t be much, if any, sediment in there.
I always refill by pouring about a pint of water into the system followed by all the required anti-freeze then adding water to top up and bleed.
If you aren't changing the thermostat then, if the drained out coolant looks pretty clean, I would just re-fill. Put all the anti-freeze in first then top up with water.
Thank you mjm, is it the one that is slightly recesed with a square socket?

I think youve solved my problem.

Will 3 litres of coolant be enough do you think?

Thanks again.
96 1.9 Engine coolant drain plug. - mjm
>>Thank you mjm, is it the one that is slightly recesed with a square socket?<<
I don't know. They seem to vary from engine to engine. To be honest I wouldn't bother draining it if the rest of the system is clean.
I always use Halfords 5 year advanced coolant and aim for a 30/40 % strength. I have a Citroen Xantia which has many power units in common with the Peugot 405 but the cooling system may vary in its total volume.