99 1.4 Failing to start - MikeC
Hi, car is 1999T Megane 1.4 16v petrol, 95k (my sisters so have only seen it fail tonight)

Problem has been happening intermittently over a few weeks but is now failing more often than not. Previously they have left it 5 - 10 minutes and it is fine. However this afternoon it has been an hour and a half. I went out and tried, putting foot flat on floor to clear flooding didn't work. Jumped it to my car to help battery and eventually it started. It turns over and over and doesn't try to fire but it then seemed to try as you let go of the key so I tried short attempts just one turn and after a lot of attempts it started. When it did start it was several minutes before it would idle on its own, and as it was about to stall it was making a 'sucking noise' like an air vacum.

Drove home, 5 miles, and it then wouldn't start again on driveway, again after quite a few attempts (10) it started but wouldn't restart after switching it off... have left them with it!

Any ideas on the problem, could understand if it was flooded once but its happening too often and is now in a position where seems it won't start first time at all. Makes no difference whether engine is cold/warm/hot. Could it be fuel pump?, air lock in fuel?, some sort of autochoke problem?

They do have the exhaust blowing somewhere - could that be affecting the idle control/lambda/richness?

Oh, it has no warning light issues (it doesn't have an EML).

Thanks. (they will take it to friendly mechanic soon).

99 1.4 Failing to start - Fernando P
Sounds like the crankshaft position sensor is either dirty or on the way out. It is mounted onto the top of the transmission housing at the LH side of the cylinder block and is secured by 2 bolts. You can try cleaning it (after you have removed it) and if that does not make a difference you can get a pattern part for ~ GBP20
Fernando, great thanks, I've done a quick wiki search on the CPS and it suggests one symptom amongst others is backfiring, it did sound like it was backfiring yesterday when on the overrun after being reved (i.e. popping like rally cars do!) but I put this down to a hole somewhere in the exhaust.

I'll report later in the week on the result of cleaning and mechanics investigations but looks likely that you are correct.

Thanks.
Hi, an update... car failed to start on way to garage, sister requested recovery to clean the crankshaft sensor and it now starts. Well done thanks for your help!
99 1.4 Failing to start - Altea Ego
cleaning it is not the fix, It needs to be changed,
99 1.4 Failing to start - Andy_W
My Megane 01 1.6 has just decided it is not going to start (again).

I've had the TDC off and given it a clean. Still no joy - so it probably needs a new tdc sensor. Problem is I have just been told by the local Renault dealers parts desk that the TDC sensor has been modified and I need a new loom as well.

Has anyone fitted one of these modified TDC's and can give me any info on how much of a job it is to fit the new loom or is there a way to connect the sensor to the existing plug?

Andy_W
99 1.4 Failing to start - Fernando P
I got the CPS pattern part from a "car parts" company with the same name as the currency used in Europe! The number of the part for my Megane is 415745130 but it may not be the same for yours as mine is a 1.6e RT with auto transmission.
99 1.4 Failing to start - Andy_W
Thanks Fernando,

The "car parts" company with the same name as the currency used in Europe, has a branch round the corner from me. Part Number was 415745120 for my import Megane Cabrio 1.6 manual, and cost me the princely sum of £19.

Same shape connector as the original TDC, so no need to muck about with the wiring, and everything is working fine again.

Andy_W.