02 1.8 damage during repair - Burlz
Dear Honest John,

My Ford Focus (02) TDCi recently had to have a fuel pump, fuel filter and plugs replaced at a local Ford Dealership. My usual trusty mechanic couldn't deal with it due to it all being linked to the ECU. Anyway, 2 weeks later (last night) I picked up the car and immediately a noise and vibrating came from around the clutch area, specifically when the clutch was depressed in a low gear.

I drove back to the dealership and parked in the space I'd only just vacated and gave them back the envelope containing my key etc. I have just called them this morning and politely told them of the problem and the mechanic became immediately defensive saying 'well if it's a clutch then it's a new problem and not our fault - we didn't touch the clutch'. He said he'll take a look and get back to me.

I'd like to know if I have any consumer protection given that the car went in without this problem and came out with it. Are the garage responsible to return to the car to me in a fit working order? Do I have any recourse that this problem appears to have come about while the car is in their possession.

Please help if you can!
02 1.8 damage during repair - cheddar
My off-the-cuff thought is that it is difficult to prove that it was OK before you left it.

On the otherhand if they had noticed the fault at the point you left it they would surely have advised you.

Mods: Perhaps this should be in Discussion?
02 1.8 damage during repair - Burlz
Cheers Cheddar,

From what I've described does this sound like the clutch on it's way out or possibly something else?
02 1.8 damage during repair - sarka1230
may be road tester after original repair thought he was jenson button ! not un heard of do you have record of millage when vehicle was left and when collected?
02 1.8 damage during repair - andy@ford
hi there few points just to pass on to you, so you are aware dual mass flywheels are a common failure on these vehicles. that is wat the clutch is attached to also as the fuel pump was replaced i can only guess but i take it the car was not running before hand, there fore you cant prove the noise/fault wasnt there before hand so it would be down to yourself and not the dealer.
02 1.8 damage during repair - cheddar
The OP is clear "given that the car went in without this problem and came out with it", even if the fuel pump failed and the car was towed to the dealer the OP would know whether it was making the noise before the pump failed or not.

Edited by cheddar on 06/10/2009 at 21:08