Tyre life - Miller
I have recently bought a Mondeo fitted with 205 55 15 tyres. Current mileage is 39k and according to past service bills the two front tyres were replaced at 35k, yet I think I will be lucky to get another 2k out of them before they need replacing!

Is this acceptable? The tyres are Dunlop Sp2000 if that makes any difference, and before anyone says so I am sure the car has not been clocked since they were fitted. The front tyres on my old ZX had nearly 20k under them when I got rid of it and still looked good for 5-10k more!
Tyre life - Crombster
It doesn't sound particularly acceptable unless you have the V6, and a heavy right foot! Even then I would expect far more than that. Have they worn evenly across the tread?

Tyre life - nick
Maybe the previous owner was a Max Power reader.

Only joking you MP types!

Seriously, how are they worn? Evenly all over?
Tyre life - Miller
Yes they are worn evenly, and I drive quite sensibly, no chucking it round corners. It is a 1.8 Verona, the tyres seem excessively large considering the V6 model uses the same size. The only thing I can think of is that the dealer swopped them with less worn examples before putting it up for sale?
Tyre life - nick
I certainly wouldn't put that past some dealers. Seems a bit too much effort though. Was it a big dealer or an Arthur Daley? Mind you, from what I have read and experienced, they can be as bad as each other.
The even wear rules out a suspension geometry fault or over- or under-inflation. Bit of a mystery.
Tyre life - nick
Just thought of something. Could they have been swapped front to rear? I would expect some extra wear on the outer edges on a tyre that wide.
Tyre life - Miller
Dealer was a mid sized outfit, not main dealer and seemed honest enough (but then they all do!) Seems I'll have to start saving my pennies!
Tyre life - Peter D
Look at the wear on the rears and the disc pad material deposits on the rim I would suspect that the new tyres may be on the back and the fronts are off the rear. May be because of a previous tracking problem or someone thought that the new tyres should go on the rear to stop end swopping, wrong but often thought.

regards

Peter
Tyre life - Cyd
I have professional and social contact with expert chassis engineers at 3 major OEMs in the Midlands. All recommend putting new tyres on the rear. So do the majority of tyre manufacturers.

I'd like to know what evidence you can show that these people and companies who have put much engineering expertise and many £millions into research are so wrong?
Tyre life - Richard Hall
The car could have been clocked since the new tyres were fitted. But you didn't want to know that...

Richard Hall
bangernomics.tripod.com
Tyre life - kithmo
The dealer may have swapped them if another customer had complained about the heavy wear on the tyres (that were originally on the car he was purchasing). I know of an example of this at one of the big car supermarkets. You should be able to check whether the original wheels are fitted to the car by the manufacturing date stamped on the wheels (or cast on if alloys), this should tie up with dates stamped on various body panels on the car. Also does the servicing invoice show the size of tyre fitted and is it the same.
Tyre life - PB
My local tyre place recommends Michelin Pilots for long life. I had some on an Audi A8, they looked 3/4 worn when I bought it and lasted another 15K.
Tyre life - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}
Found that the 195/65/15 VR Firestone 680's on the front of my Passat Estate lasted 10k from new.Worn evenly across the tread to 2mm.
Ran them at the minimum tyre pressures as the car was mostly empty. The outside shoulders of the rear tyres were worn before I noticed it and so recently have used a higher tyre pressure, which slowed down the wear.
Just replaced the rears with Pilot Primacy and will do the fronts in due course.
Tyre life - Galaxy
Mondeo's are particularly heavy on front tyres. This has been mentioned on this forum many times in the past. Try doing a search.

My Own one needed two at 30K, by which time they were totally shot. From what I read, mine was more than many have got out of them. 20K seems far more usual.

Many do fit new tyres to the rear. Again, this has been mentioned many times here, too, but mine went on the front since both rears had been repaired.

Hope this helps.

Tyre life - Cyd
Wouldn't put it past a dealer to have had a set of part (nearly fully) worns put on and the ones off your car onto his. Do the make of tyre on the car match that quoted on the reciept?

Mind you, I find it hard to believe the original fronts lasted 35k?
Tyre life - madf
I bought Michelin Pilots (4) for my Audi A4 1.9TDI. After 25000 miles (fast mixed) they were only 50% worn.. good for 50k I would say. Reputedly wet grip is not as good as the best but I noticed no difference from the prior Bridgestones.

Very impressed..

But my wife's Peugeot 106 diesel 1.4 owned from new and driven only short runs goes through any kind of tyres in about 18000 miles.. max. Now running on remoulds cos it rarely sees 60mph...

(and yes I check wear and tracking).

Depends on car and driving conditions I suppose...

Tyre life - blank
From my Mondeo ownershp experience I agree with Cyd. I would say that after 35k it was more likely the second set of fronts.