03 1.5 Life of corrosion inhibitor - bathtub tom
Following on from Tawse's question about anti-freeze, I check mine each year by popping some in the freezer. This will verify it's temperature capabilities, but what about it's corrosion inhibitor qualities.

I've never changed antifreeze as a service item, except when it's failed the freezer test.

Does anyone know a method of checking it?

I ask as one car has had it's anti-freeze/corrosion inhibitor in since new, six years ago.
03 1.5 Life of corrosion inhibitor - RichardW
I would expect a modern car to be on long life coolant, capable of at 10 years or so. Does it specify a change in the handbook? You could ask your local dealer if there is a recommended change interval.
03 1.5 Life of corrosion inhibitor - bathtub tom
Sorry, I should've checked before posting.

It doesn't look like long life, as recommended change is every three years/36K miles.
03 1.5 Life of corrosion inhibitor - Another John H
If it's pink antifreeze it's likely to be long life "OAT" stuff.

If it is/was blue or green it's more likely to be old school stuff with an expected life or 3 years or so.

Any doubt, it's worth changing for new of the same type.

The two sorts don't mix - likely to turn to a jelly. not nice.
03 1.5 Life of corrosion inhibitor - davecuk
Interesting, I remember having a coolant change recommended on my Petrol Civic some years ago, it was about 5 years old (I declined), later I lifted the bonnet and on a sticker inside was a statement saying coolant good for 10 years!

Edited by davecuk on 29/09/2009 at 21:11