Useful Accessories - budu
The current issue of French magazine L'Express mentions two useful car acessories, although it only gives "l'Internet" as the source. One is a device that claims to prevent any speed camera or laser device from registering. It costs up to 520 Euros. The other is a spray that is transparent, yet prevents cameras from reading number plates. Their use is, of course, illegal...
Useful Accessories - Armitage Shanks{P}
What exactly is meant by "prevents - - from registering"? Stops it taking a photograph, makes the speed reading corrupt or what. The so called sprays have been tested by Steve Warren on his website www.speedtraps.co.uk and he reports that they are virtually useless in 99% of circumstances. A new device is an overlay for the number plates which turns them opaque by applying an electric current to an overlay on them. You still have to see the camera and hit the switch though! Perhaps this is what costs 520 euros?
Useful Accessories - The Watcher
They are conning you.

First, laser defusers ARE illegal to use whereas radar detectors are not. Laser defusers do not, to my knowledge work with UK speed cameras.

As regards the spray, I doubt it works. I heard polishing your number plate with good quality car polish then, cover the shiny plate with cling film while ensuring the film has NO creases in it reflect the flash of the camera back such that the plate cannot be read. Don't know if that works either!
Useful Accessories - Pugugly {P}
A traffic cop once told me that a covering of WD40 had the same effect. I would point out the legality issue.
Useful Accessories - Paul Mykatz-Tinks
Do you mean laser jammers, TW?

If so, please point me to the law that prohibits them.
Useful Accessories - The Watcher
In the UK, radar detectors are clearly legal to own and use.

I cannot find any relevant article that confirms laser defussers are illegal to use BUT all the shops that sell defusser-jammers I have come across clearly advise the user to switch the unit off once it has detected the laser signature.

If that doesn't mean something I don't know what does.

In January 1998 the Queen's Bench Divisional Court stated that radar detectors had in fact never been illegal in the UK, contrary to popular folklore and the repeated claims of the police. A defusser - jammer is a different entity.
That's right, Watcher. The best that plod has come up with, so far, is "I'd probably have to do him for attempting to pervert the course of justice........"

Bit desperate, don't you think?

I thought that was the main purpose of government.

I heard of one bike cop who was so impressed with such a device, he said he would buy one.

Incidentally, they switch themselves off after a few seconds of activation (device, that is, not cop).
Useful Accessories - Tom Shaw
Various motorcycle magazines have tested all sorts of sprays that were claimed to prevent a clear photograph of your number plate. None of them worked, with the exception of pulling a massive wheelie as you passed the camera. Can't do that in a car, however....
These were sold in pubs............turned out to be hair spray with a different label.

Hair spray £2, number plate spray £20. Some dumb nuts bought them................