Impressions of the new Prius - Avant
When ordering my elder daughter's fourth Toyota Yaris, I was looking over the new Prius and was offered a test run in one - a fine example of long-term thinking by the salesman at the excellent Octagon Toyota in Bracknell, as he knew I have a new Skoda. His reward is that I'm happy to tell anyone how impressive the new Prius is.

The previous Prius II was very good in town but not at its best on the open road, where you need to rev the petrol engine noisily, and not vey economically, to get decent performance. The new one, with an 1800 cc engine and 3 modes (Power, Eco and electric only) allows you to choose how you drive depending on traffic and your own mood. Power gives a good solid shove: it doesn't feel as if you're racing but the speedometer (with a useful head-up display in the windscreen) shows that speed in increasing quickly.

Road tests I've seen have said that it's not much fun to drive: I would dispute that, as the steering is light (which I like) and direct, and handling is sharp enough to be fun without the ride being over-firm. Seats are comfortable with lots of (adjustable) lumbar support, which I personally find essential. The Prius has far more room in the back than most competitors: the boot is shallowish (because of the need to store the batteries) but it's enough, and there is a big under-floor compartment for laptops etc.

Cristicisms - not much. I don't like the foot-operated parking brake, although at least it's mechanical and not electronic. It's not easy to find in a hurry, and there really is nothing wrong with a normal handbrake. And I'd prefer a wheel to adjust the seat backrest angle. But that's it.

With a 5-month old Octavia vRS which I'm enjoying greatly, I'm not changing yet. But for anyone looking for a car in this size and price range (£18-21k) it's worth puting on a short list in its own right, even without entering the debate about whether a Prius is more eco-friendly than a diesel. It's a lot quieter than most diesels, and with the choice of modes available, economy is, I would expect, comparable with a diesel depending on how you drive it.

The ultimate question - would I have one as my next car? It depends what's around in 2 to 3 years, but at the moment - probably.

Edited by Avant on 27/09/2009 at 18:21

Impressions of the new Prius - cheddar
>>even without entering the debate about whether a Prius is more eco-friendly than a diesel.>>

Reckon I am enough of a hypocrite anyway without becoming a Prius driver as well!

;-)
Impressions of the new Prius - cuthbert
I was really tempted with the Prius as it seemed to match what I wanted as it was an automatic with a reasonable amount of room in it but must add I did not get as far as driving one !!

The thing that put me off was the fact the warranty on the Hybrid system on the gen 2 Prius was I believe 8 years 100,000 miles( which remains the same in the states )!! now on the gen 3 it has been reduced to 5 years 60,000 miles !!

I just wondered if it would have an affect on trade in values
Impressions of the new Prius - boxsterboy
The biggest problem with the new Prius is its price. I would far rather drive a pre-registered Focus diesel for half the price, if I was in the market for a medium-sized hatch.
Impressions of the new Prius - frazerjp
My father has recently purchased one from the main dealers in Aylesbury, he's very pleased with it.
He has mentioned the steering is a tad on the light side, even when cruising at 50 mph + .

The "EV" mode is running solely on the electric motor, but is overrid when travelling over 30 mph & when you press the acelerator too had hard on take off.

"Eco" mode is when you drive in a situation where you do regular stop & starts like in the suburbs.

"Power" mode is used when you drive at higher speeds or when you floor the throttle to go up hills or overtaking etc. It can automatically swop into this mode when pressing the throttle from "Eco" mode.

The engine does sound boomy when you put your foot down, this maybe to do with it's CVT transmission holding constant revs.

So far he's achieved 55 mpg after 500 miles.
Impressions of the new Prius - gordonbennet
Frazer, the few times i've driven them i can feel quite a judder when the engine fires up to assist the electric, i seem to recall the previous model being smoother, does your father feel that at all?

Personally i like them, they are lovely and light to drive and very quiet especially at town speeds.
In the brothel creepers you could silently creep up to your car and slide away unheard and unnoticed..;)
GB - in the one I tried this afternoon you couldn't tell when the petrol motor was coming in. I even turned the aircon off to see if I could hear, and still couldn't.

A used diesel Focus is of course cheaper than a used Prius of similar age, because (I think through there being lots of them about rather than anything wrong with them) Focuses lose value much faster. But a new Focus costs only slightly less than a Prius (£20k for the mid-range T4 buys you, at list price, a 1,8 TDCI Zetec). Focuses are good cars but I wouldn't buy one new.
> I even turned the aircon off to see if I could
hear and still couldn't.

Agreed Avant silent, but i could feel a slight judder as it fired up... admittedly being very critical mind and i wondered if anyone else thought the previous model had a smoother joining of power supply, it's an uncannily quiet and refined vehicle overall.
MB type parking brake is fine once you get used to it, and i should imagine like MB a good proportion of owners don't use it anyway.

I'm waiting to see what the new generation of hybrid/electric vehicles peform like over the next 5 or so years, near silent vibration free running and smooth transmissions, very attractive.
Impressions of the new Prius - frazerjp
GB - I don't feel this judder whilst I ride in it, nor has my Dad ever mentioned it too me before, in fact you only notice the power switches over when you look on the onboard screen.
I don't feel this judder whilst I ride in it nor has my Dad

As i said to Avant above then, i'm being far too critical.

Hope you'll keep us updated periodically on the ownership experience of the car, would like to know real life servicing etc costs if it's not being too cheeky, if it is sorry for being a nosy blighter..;)
Impressions of the new Prius - Nickdm
You seem impressed, Avant. Bet you trade-in your Skoda before another 2-3 years are up!
Impressions of the new Prius - rtj70
I bet he's impressed and doesn't change cars for at least 3 years.
I was very fond of my last car, a Golf V estate, and quite expected to keep it for most if not all of the 3-year PCP term. But there was a good deal (only £15 extra per month) on the faster and much quieter Octavia.

I'm certainly happy to keep this one for some time: Priuses will probably remain popular and I wouldn't expect there to be much in the way of discounts until it has real competition.

Maybe if we're all spared I'll resurrect this thread in about 2 years from now.....
Impressions of the new Prius - Bagpuss
Frazer the few times i've driven them i can feel quite a judder when the
engine fires up to assist the electric

I drove a number of the previous models. On some you couldn't hear the engine at all when it cut in and on some there was something of a jolt. I hope Toyota has cured cured this on the Mark 3.

Impressions of the new Prius - oilrag
I did a poem on a hybrid.......;-) (no offence intended)

With a click and fizz and under-charge
The Petro-hybrid looms up large
two tons of battery, miles of wire
Peters pants are not on fire

Air scrubber running on battery power
all it needs is a conning tower
whining along the road so slowthe battery terminals start to glow

Time to start the Briggs and Stratton
thoughts, at least, of hills to flatten
With a pop and a clank it bursts to life
Outdoing battery, it tries to strive

Peter Pius, `neath conning tower
An Eco-warrier on the Gower
twenty grand lighter in the bank
But It feels so `right` in an Eco-tank

Edited by oilrag on 29/09/2009 at 20:28

Impressions of the new Prius - doctorchris
As a doctor, the word Prius is far too close to the similar word priapism which describes an uncontrolled, how shall I describe it, proudness of the male member that can only be reduced by surgical means.
This sums up the whole concept of this ill-conceived car in my mind.
The hybrid is a Dodo-like branch in the evolution of motoring.