99 2.0 My Pug Runs like a Burst couch! - Joe-1888
Really need help here.

I have a 99 2.0hdi 406 with moon miles on the clock(but been well maintained)....just about everything on it has been replaced at some time...problem is now it has started to run terrible!... It would not drive above 2000rpm on the road and when taken home and inspected it would make it over the 2000 rpm via the cable inside the engine bay being being pulled but it is sending out smoke that u could see for miles...sometimes black and sometimes grey...occasionally clearing itself for 30 secs and then goin back to being "lumpy" again. Engine sounds fine at tick over.....exhaust gases sound like they are "burbling" when u put the engine under rev pressure. Had the machine on it and it gave out quite a few fault codes P0121,P0221(mechanic said not to worry bout these as they are not the issue) P1138 fuel pressure regulater-P0401 Egr Valve circuit-P0335 rpm sensor-P0571 Brake switch circuit-and P1537 UNDOCUMENTED CODE...... the mechanic advised that the undocumented code or the Egr valve circuit would prob be the problem.....I have checked all the hoses going to the turbo (as i was told to do) for cracks...they look ok! SO now i need to start with the EGR valve stuff,,,,,but i dont know were they are..... can they be cleaned or replaced? will this cure it??? thanks in advance !! JOe
99 2.0 My Pug Runs like a Burst couch! - Joe-1888
shameful bump.....

can anyone help!!
99 2.0 My Pug Runs like a Burst couch! - steve_earwig
The EGR's on the turbo (peer down the back of the engine). They can be cleaned with varying degrees of success. Also check the solenoids and associated pipework (on the bulkhead).
99 2.0 My Pug Runs like a Burst couch! - Mick Snutz
I had same symptoms recently. Sluggish at higher revs and smoking more than usual but tickover was fine. Mine turned out to be the big fat turbo hose which runs from oil cooler over top of engine and down the back somewhere, and where it is bolted to a cast metal joint on the top of the engine, the two retaining bolts had lost their nuts so the hose itself was sound but the joint was working loose and letting more air into the mix, hence it went sluggish under acceleration but was fine at idle. More air was making the fuel mixture wrong hence the additional smoke.