Fake gumtree car adverts - robbers jailed - Falkirk Bairn
uk.news.yahoo.com/5/20090924/tuk-gumtree-robbers-j...l

Lured punters to quiet streets to "view cars" being sold for cash - violent robberies left traumatised victims in hospital.

It is not an isolated incident as other gangs still at large - just yesterday another attack on a man in E London left him in hospital - the £5000 was stolen - he went to see a VW Golf!
Fake gumtree car adverts - robbers jailed - Hamsafar
Pathetic sentences as usual. It's not called the doublespeak 'Criminal Justice' system for nothing.
Fake gumtree car adverts - robbers jailed - Altea Ego
6 and 7 years? thats not bad. Plus the old bill managed to shove a few thousands volts into them using Tazers when they got nicked.
Fake gumtree car adverts - robbers jailed - davecuk
6 and 7 years? that's not bad.

They will probably end up serving 3 or 4 years apiece....their victims on the other hand will probably be affected for the rest of their lives. Using metal bars, it was lucky no one got killed or brain damaged.

I think you would want a stiffer sentence had you or a member of your family been a victim....I know I would have done.
Fake gumtree car adverts - robbers jailed - Westpig
those sentences are utterly pathetic
Fake gumtree car adverts - robbers jailed - bell boy
greed always find gullible people carrying bags of money
its like in europe when the euro came in and building works was done with carriers stuffed with francs etc
greed
greed
greed
steady on bell boy....i can see where you're coming from, but there must have been some of them who were genuinely trying to buy a car via a private sale...and agreed cash was easier
Fake gumtree car adverts - robbers jailed - maz64
greed always find gullible people carrying bags of money

Was there some evidence that the victims were being 'greedy'? Seems a bit harsh.
you guys on here are always advising consumer rights on here and paying by credit cards and checking everything out so how many of you would take a carrier with 5 big ones in it to a pub carpark to buy a car
non of you
so how many of you would take a carrier with
5 big ones in it to a pub carpark to buy a car

I don't think you should equate naive (or stupid?) with greedy
iv"e said my bit
you're putting up a good arguement...and you sound just like me when my missus makes me watch Watchdog (although that's stopped now that hideous harridan is back on it)...still think you're a tad harsh though
Fake gumtree car adverts - robbers jailed - Lud
I suppose bb's opinion of the buyers may be based on the cars having been advertised for unusually low prices 'for quick cash sale' or something of the sort.

I would be a bit surprised if bb himself, or even our leader in his younger days come to that, hadn't gone about with a hefty wodge of readies for a bit of trading at one time or another. I imagine though that they wouldn't have ventured alone down a dark alley to meet three or four unknown sellers.

This is a very nasty crime.

Edited by Lud on 25/09/2009 at 14:51

advertised for unusually low prices

Not mentioned in report.
I imagine though that they wouldn't
have ventured alone down a dark alley

"arranged to meet potential buyers in quiet, residential locations in affluent areas of Surrey"
Fake gumtree car adverts - robbers jailed - Lud
quiet, residential locations in affluent areas of Surrey"

= down a dark alley. Even quieter and more private in an affluent area one would think.
Fake gumtree car adverts - robbers jailed - gordonbennet
Well done the bill, i hope the blaggers human rights weren't infringed in any way..;)

Incidentally in these sorts of cases does the judge make any order for the slime to repay monies stolen from the victims to the victims...when they presumably return to some sort of a job (yes i know, i feel the same) after their far too short stay at Her Maj's.
Fake gumtree car adverts - robbers jailed - Lygonos
>>"Officers responded to an advert for a BMW, saying they were a couple interested in buying the car.

The cousins then attacked a white van they believed to be the couple's with a knife and a gun.

The van was full of police officers, who used Tasers to restrain and arrest the pair.

After pleading guilty to robbery, attempted robbery and possession of an imitation firearm, McCrorie was handed a seven-year sentence and Gould was jailed for six years."<<

Quoted the important bit for the following comment:

Because these scumbags plead guilty, I presume the jusge had to cut 1/3 off their sentences, so it would have been 10 and 9 yrs roughly.

The automatic 33% discount for pleading guilty when guilt is beyond any shred of doubt is an utter farce.

**EDIT** - also I'd have paid £1000 for ringside seats to watch that sting going down!

Edited by Lygonos on 25/09/2009 at 17:47

Fake gumtree car adverts - robbers jailed - jc2
I have a relation who sells cars-earlier this year he sold a car for £40,000(top of the range Mercedes cabriolet) and was paid in cash.Couldn't get round to the bank quick enough to check it was genuine.
Fake gumtree car adverts - robbers jailed - ifithelps
...he sold a car for £40,000(top of the range Mercedes cabriolet) and was paid in cash...

I think there is a limit for retail cash transactions to prevent money laundering.

Dunno what it is, but I'm pretty sure it's a lot less than £40k.

Fake gumtree car adverts - robbers jailed - Lygonos
Around £10k- above that it needs clearance to 'prevent' money laundering AFAIK.
Fake gumtree car adverts - robbers jailed - jbif
Around £10k- above that it needs clearance to 'prevent' money laundering AFAIK. >>

AFAIK, the cash limit is 15,000 Euros before you MUST produce ID and record it. So greater amounts in cash are allowed, but you have to verify ID and keep records.
Some institutions choose to apply a daily conversion of Euro to £ to apply the limit, others use the original £1 = 1.5 Euro from date of inception of the Act to apply their limit to demand ID.

ID = identifying the customer and verifying the customer?s identity on the basis of documents, data or information obtained from a reliable and independent source.

No "money-laundering"problems-just had to tell the bank where the money came from.
The other way is to accept multiple amonts of £9,999!
The other way is to accept multiple amonts of £9,999! >>

Sorry, but that is definitely NOT the way around the regs.

"The term High Value Dealer has a special meaning under the Money Laundering Regulations 2007. These regulations came into force on 15 December 2007 and describe a High Value Dealer as any business that receives cash payments worth 15,000 euros or more in exchange for goods.

A high value cash payment could be in any currency. And it could be made up of one single transaction or several instalments. It might be one large payment made in exchange for a number of lower value items.">/i>

It was "tongue in cheek" but it can be and is done that way-I didn't say it was legal.
It was "tongue in cheek" but it can be and is done that way-I didn't say it was legal. >>

Oh, right. I had forgotten that this thread was about money grabbing thieves and robbers. Anyhow, jc2, you should stop digging when you are already in a deep hole.

Fake gumtree car adverts - robbers jailed - Martin Devon
you guys on here are always advising consumer rights on here and paying by credit
cards and checking everything out so how many of you would take a carrier with
5 big ones in it to a pub carpark to buy a car
non of you

Right again BB.

MD
Right again BB.

...although assuming he is, it doesn't prove anything...
Fake gumtree car adverts - robbers jailed - ifithelps
The copper describes these robberies as 'well planned and elaborate'.

There is nothing in the story to say the cars were advertised at cheap prices, so the victims cannot fairly be branded greedy.

In this thread we have one trader taking £40k in cash for a car, and another trader criticising buyers for being prepared to pay £5k in cash.

Another thread reveals weakesses in the Paypal system.

Then there's bank drafts which can apparently be undone.

If I were selling a £5k car, I'd seriously think about asking for cash, which means I wouldn't be surprised or suspicious to be asked for cash if I was buying.

Scams fool the otherwise intelligent, not the already foolish.