00 1.6 Overheating - Hydey78
Can you please help.
I was driving my astra to work yesterday and I noticed the temp gauge had risen to the red and was overheating. I pulled over quickly and turned off the engine to let it cool down.
There was water in the car and the radiator fan was working, a friend of mine asked if the internal fans were still kicking out hot air when on, which they were.
Some peple have said it could be a thermostat problem but I do not know much about cars so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
00 1.6 Overheating - davecuk
1. If the water pump is operated on a separate belt to the cam belt, it could be slipping.....check tension and belt condition.

2. It could be head gasket....remove rocker box cover look for white mayo.

3. Thermostat could have failed closed (they usually fail open), other blockage in Cooling system....remove rad cap when cold, look for circulation of water, also check water for any contamination in case of 3 above

4. Check front of car for plastic bag sucked up against radiator or blocking air inlets
00 1.6 Overheating - Dynamic Dave
1. If the water pump is operated on a separate belt ...

It doesn't.
2. It could be head gasket....remove rocker box cover look for white mayo.

Not a conclusive test as these engines are renowned for being overcooled (same rad used for the whole range of engines) and it's not uncommon for mayo to be present on the oil filler cap, etc, more so with short journeys.
3. Thermostat could have failed closed

May well be. Check the return hose to the radiator to see if hotter than the supply hose from the rad to the engine.