99 1.8 stalling, losing power. - wils81
i have recently been getting a loss of power at low revs in my 99 focus which has covered 108k.

The car was originally losing power once i came off and then back onto the accelarator but a change down in gears brought the power back. A garage i used told me it was a pipe that had collapsed (something about crank and air, please forgive me for my lack of knowledge).

Anyway it seemed to do the trick but now the car is even worse. The most common at the moment is when the car wants to stall once i press the clutch down in traffic. The revs die and probably on a 50-50 basis the car stalls or barely stays alive.

Could it be that the pipe they installed is faulty or is there another explanation. To be honest i know i should take it back to the garage but they was absolutely useless and i vowed never to go back again.
99 1.8 stalling, losing power. - Norman77
I have owned a 2005 (same shape as yours) Ford Focus 1.8 petrol with 64K Miles, for a couple of years. I have had the same symptoms.

In the end i replaced the Idle Speed Control Valve,which can be found under the inlet manifold on the engine. It controls the tick over speed and when clogged up with soot etc it sticks,lets too much air into the engine and can cause a very low idle speed whereby when coming up to a junction and slowing down, by dipping the clutch the car would almost stall. It was about £35 for the part and is awkward to get at from above the engine, so my advice would be to go from underneath.
It is held in place by two bolts and sits on two small O rings which can be prised out and ideally replaced to ensure an air tight seal. I had this done a year ago and no more problems.

Have also had the speed sensor on top of the gearbox fail intermittently whereby the speedo on the dash would occasionally drop to zero and come back to life after 3 seconds. A new one of these was fitted and again no more problems.

Ignition coil packs are known to give up the ghost with age, but generally you will get a misfire through some of the rev range and a loss of power too. Usually worth changing spark plugs and leads at the same time.

Hope the first solution helps and the second to watch out for.

Great car in all respects and cheap to fix :)
99 1.8 stalling, losing power. - bell boy
petrol
diesel
wind power
no wonder garage are useless if you cant even give type of engine when asking a question
wils81
norman77 thanks for the advice most appreciated.

bell boy, 8< No need for insults. I stated 1.8 engine ford focus 99 reg what more do you want to know and what the hell is wind power, what you driving a kite.

People like norman77 are reasons good forums are a blessing to the people who are stuck in a situation and need help. You sir are not, if you didnt like my topic then why reply in the first place.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 16/09/2009 at 00:18

99 1.8 stalling, losing power. - jc2
99 Focus could be 1.8 petrol or 1.8 diesel!!!!!!!!!
you still havent answered the question though have you
petrol
diesel
or wind power
do you not appreciate that a diesel engine is very very slightly different to a petrol engine?
and that wind powered is the new in thing
yes i understand but didnt need your patronising comments in the previous post, why not just ask the question, is it petrol or diesel and i would have replied sorry forgot to mention its a petrol rather than go down the route of trying to ridicule someone.
i wasnt trying to ridicule you i was bringing to your attention the fact that yourself like many people take their cars with a problem to a garage but never give full details till youve exhausted all your ideas of why it has the fault

if you think it is patronising then i apologise but think you are too tetchy for me

so im out
99 1.8 stalling, losing power. - Dynamic Dave
You sir are not if you didnt like my topic then why reply in the first place.

Bell Boy asked as valid question, albeit part of it was tongue in cheek - yes, that's all it was. You failed to mention whether the engine was diesel or petrol. He asked you, and for his trouble got insulted in return.

For your information, Bell Boy is one of the many helpful contributors to this forum. Unfortunately for you it would appear that his knowledge and experience won't be helping you with your problem.

DD - BR Moderator.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 16/09/2009 at 00:23