Hybrid smoking in town - BobbyG
I was following one of these big Lexus in stop/start traffic going through Glasgow City Centre and couldn't help but notice that there was quite a bit of smoke coming out both exhausts even when stationery. I had a look round at the other conventional cars in the queue and no sign of any smoke.

I thought the whole point of Hybrids was in this sort of traffic they would go on to electric only? Am I wrong? Or does it still, for some reason, have exhaust fumes of some sort?
Hybrid smoking in town - motorprop
shows you that everything smokes in Glasgie...
Hybrid smoking in town - Hamsafar
It was probably steam vapour, such as that you get when you switch off the engine after not running it until the exhaust stack is hot.
Hybrid smoking in town - b308
I thought the whole point of Hybrids was in this sort of traffic they would
go on to electric only? Am I wrong? Or does it still for some reason
have exhaust fumes of some sort?

I suppose it depends on the condition of the batteries, perhaps the engine was on to charge them, but just ticking over?

TBH I regard these big hybrids as a rather sick joke, especially the way they advertise them as being "green".... but thats a different story!

Edited by b308 on 05/09/2009 at 10:04

Hybrid smoking in town - jc2
I drove one once-yes,they could be green-but if you make use of it's performance!! With a large engine AND an electric motor,it don't half go and they both cut in for acceleration.

Edited by jc2 on 05/09/2009 at 10:50

Hybrid smoking in town - diddy1234
A really sick joke would be a hybrid hummer.

I can just see the technical spec, drives for 1 mile on battery power. he he

in fact someone has made one :-

www.wired.com/autopia/2009/04/behold-americas/
Hybrid smoking in town - Falkirk Bairn
>>I was following one of these big Lexus in stop/start traffic going through Glasgow City >>Centre and couldn't help but notice that there was quite a bit of smoke coming out both >>exhausts even when stationery

RU sure it was not just an LS460?
Hybrid smoking in town - BobbyG
Yeah it was definitely the LS600h, on Clyde St. Checked and they are £80k odds! Didn't really look it to be honest!
Hybrid smoking in town - Sofa Spud
QUOTE:...""A really sick joke would be a hybrid hummer.""

No neccessarily. I could see that a hybrid version of the H1 'real' Hummer would be useful to the military - more economical and with the possibility of running quietly on electric power if need be.
Hybrid smoking in town - OldSkoOL
Exactly what the second reply said,

Water vapour is given off as the result of combustion. As this hits a cold exhaust this vapour turns into droplets and exists as steam because the exhaust is much much cooler. When the exhaust is up to temp there cooling effect would be minimal and it is likely to exit as vapour.

Typical around town or after just starting off and emphasised in cold weather as there is a massive heat exchange.

As this isn't cold weather i can only think that the battery was mainly being used and the exhaust was colder than normal and then suddenly the engine was used at a fuller capacity and the difference in heat was great.

However, he should open up the bonnet and check the coolant level and colour.

Edited by OldSkoOL on 06/09/2009 at 12:10

Hybrid smoking in town - bell boy
However he should open up the bonnet and check the coolant level and colour.

>>>>>>>>> i think the owner might have a little man in the boot to do such menial tasks as that,can the bonnet be opened on this model by a mere mortal anyway? or is it top technician main/ main agents responsibility?

Edited by bell boy on 06/09/2009 at 12:13

Hybrid smoking in town - OldSkoOL
Yes, providing you don't become overwhelmed by the endless inches of plastic. There are little snap clips you just push down to remove the panels to get to the coolant.