Ford Scorpio - cutting out - AlanH

I have an 'M' reg Scorpio Estate (before the facelift).
It has developed a miserable intermitent fault where it cuts out and will not start for between 2-25 minutes. It will turn over but not fire.
It seems to happen 2-3 times in the morning (I start the car and go and have breakfast) and increasing numbers of time in the evening ( 2-6 )

Ford dealer has hooked the car up and tested for 2 days and the fault didn't occur. Suggested changing ECU but warned that this might not solve the problems. Other people have said that the ECU will either work or not so it's probably a fault in the distributor or coil.

I have no idea and can't really afford to risk changing the ECU (£350 i think) and it not solving the problem.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated ..
Ford Scorpio - cutting out - Dave N
I think these had problems with water getting into the electrics box, drivers side right under the windscreen, causing all sorts of strange electrical maladies. Try www.fordscorpio.co.uk for more info.
Ford Scorpio - cutting out - Nick C
Alan,
I use a place called Remco ford in Stockport near Manchester for my parts for my L reg Granada. Quoted between £35 and £60 for used (guaranteed) ECU. Very professional and will match the correct ECU using the part number. web address is
www.ford-spares.com,
also do postal delivery. HTH

Nick C
Ford Scorpio - cutting out - jc
Most unlikely to be ECU;more likely to be a connector.I would suggest you take off every connector you can find in the engine compartment and put them back on again.Do them one at a time as you may find two similar connectors near each other.My daughter's Fiesta stalled at the top of a mountain in Wales;when the RAC got there he could find nothing wrong but removed all connectors and put them back on again;it started and gave no problems during our next 3 years of ownership.
Ford Scorpio - cutting out - the conductor
will be connection to the module on the dizzy if yours is a v6 model. as this is where the ecu gets its information to create sparks from. it is probobly not creating the saw signal that the ecu needs. haynes fuel injection manuel has a good section on eec4 equipped cars which yours should be.
Ford Scorpio - cutting out - Peter D
Last time I heard of this fault it took 3/4 months to find and ford replaced the bulb head cable harness and bingo fixed. A fractured wire.

Apparently this was a documented problem at Ford Tel 0345 231231
Customer Service Tech Support.

Regards

Peter
Ford Scorpio - cutting out - AlanH
Thanks for all the advice, much appreciated ...

Reassuring that the world is still full of helpful friendly people ...
Ford Scorpio - cutting out - popeye
I have just fixed my '94 Scorpio of this problem and a few other problems at the same time. I checked the charging system on an oscilloscope and found that the battery was not smoothing out the half-wave rectified output from the alternator. This resulted in the +12V rail swinging wildly. The net result of this was that the immobiliser was intermittently seeing no voltage at its supply and was therefore raising an error (as shown by the dashboard LED), similarly the ECU was intermittently seeing no volts either an was also shutting the engine down. Sometimes the engine even started running in "get you home" mode. I fitted a new battery and rechecked the system with an oscilloscope and everything was hunky-dory. Since then I have had no recurrence of any of the problems. I hope that this helps.
Ford Scorpio - cutting out - Screwloose
AlanH

You've probably sorted this by now; but the most likely problem on a Scorpio on this year is the Bosch VIN 125 fob-type immobilizer. They crack the solder joints on the board and do exactly what yours was doing. I've successfully re-soldered about a dozen. Removing them is a real joy!

This immob was also used on the early [pre 95] Mondeo's and the dreaded Probe. On those it trashed the dizzy too.
Ford Scorpio - cutting out - smokie
NB the original thread was from 2002.
Ford Scorpio - cutting out - Screwloose
smokie

Yup; he's - probably - sorted it by now....

[Or it's in the crusher somewhere.]