I Have a Question - Volume 308 [Read only] - Pugugly

***** This thread is now closed, please CLICK HERE to go to Volume 309 *****

In this thread you may ask any question for which you need help, advice, suggestions or whatever.

It does not need to be motoring related. In fact, in this thread it should not be.

No Questions About PCs. Please use the current "computer Related Questions" thread instead.
No politics
No Speeding, speed cameras, traffic calming
No arguments or slanging matches
Nothing which we think is not following the spirit of the thread
Nothing that risks the future of this site (please see the small print for details -
www.honestjohn.co.uk/credits/index.htm )

Any of the above will be deleted. If the thread becomes difficult to maintain it will simply be removed.

However, as has been said a couple of times, there is a wealth of knowledge in here, much of which is not motoring related, but most of which is useful.

This is Volume 308. Previous Volumes will not be deleted,

A list of previous volumes can be found:- HERE

PLEASE NOTE:

When posting a NEW question, please "Reply to" the first message in this thread, i.e. this one. This keeps each question in it's own separate segment and stops each new question from getting mixed up in amongst existing questions. Also please remember to change the subject header.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 03/09/2009 at 20:02

HMRC tax Refund email - scam? - Nsar
Hi,
Got an email from hmrc.gov advising I have tax refund (I fill in on-line) of about £350.
I click the link in the email to an hmrc.gov address it asks me to click the logo of my bank, which I do and it goes to the nat west on-line log-in page, but something about the look of wasn't quite right and I noticed the url is something like go-electrician.ro etc..

I assume it's a scam and would want others to be aware. I will email hmrc.
HMRC tax Refund email - scam? - daveyjp
Had this one and like every other e mail I'm not sure of I dumped it without opening.
HMRC tax Refund email - scam? - alfatrike
i had one. the rebate amount sounded about right but it looked fishy. HMRC emailed back and confirmed the scam.
HMRC tax Refund email - scam? - Rattle
Don't touch it its a very very cleverly written scam. I spent a good half hour trying to work out how they had programemed it. If you look very very carefuly at the URL you will spot it :).

The URL looks genuine to the eye, but break down every charector in it and you will soon spot it.
HMRC tax Refund email - scam? - Stuartli
I've posted before (if you use Outlook Express) that you should PERMANENTLY Disable the Preview Pane as just one click of the mouse could well set nasties off.

Providing the Preview Pane is Disabled, you can examine any suspect e-mail by highlighting it and using Properties and Message Source.

Any doubts and you can keep Cancelling and then delete it using the Toolbar's Delete button. Delete again in the Deleted Items folder if you wish.

HMRC tax Refund email - scam? - Nsar
Quite so, the grammar in the orginal email was perfect and the content perfectly plausible and this, coupled with the link in it being to an https hmrc.gov address led me to click. There was just a certain something about the natwest page I clicked through to that made me double-check the url, but if I was a very rare user of the natwest site I might not have smelt a rat.

Nice try boys......

HMRC tax Refund email - scam? - crunch_time
I have used POP3 Preview (free) for years. It will list headers and display message contents without downloading.

Anything unwanted can be deleted on the server.

HMRC tax Refund email - scam? - Altea Ego
Don't touch it its a very very cleverly written scam. I spent a good half
hour trying to work out how they had programemed it.

It took you 30 mins to roll your mouse pointer over the url link and see the wrong destination link preview in the bottom of the window or copy the entrie email into MS word, and see the hyperlink properties?
HMRC tax Refund email - scam? - jbif
I assume it's a scam and would want others to be aware. I will email hmrc. >>

Yes, good idea to email and tell HMRC. They do welcome these reports.
www.hmrc.gov.uk/security/examples.htm
It took you 30 mins to roll your mouse pointer over the url link and see the wrong destination link preview >>

;-) Altea - I wonder if that is because either
1. Rattle, as an IT Pro, is used to thinking in 30 minutes slots to charge for his time, or
2. whether the 30 minutes it took him to figure that out is because he is an IT Pro?

HMRC tax Refund email - scam? - Altea Ego
;-) Altea - I wonder if that is because either
1. Rattle as an IT Pro is used to thinking in 30 minutes slots to
charge for his time or
2. whether the 30 minutes it took him to figure that out is because he
is an IT Pro?

Ah yes - of course. As an IT pro it took me an hour to work it out. Plus expenses.
Primered doors - best paint technique. - Pugugly
Had new internal doors fitted today (by an artisan see previous threads) - they are primered - They are solid wood, with a grained surface and would like the grain to show through the final finish. The recommended paint is satinwood - which I may or may not leave to the decorators due to invade next month. Question is do I need an undercoat ?

Rob
Primered doors - best paint technique. - daveyjp
I used a further 2 in 1 primer and undercoat on similar doors. Followed by two coats of water based satinwood. I used a small foam roller and it produced a really good finish. Ours are four panel and the DIY book gave good advice on how to paint them. Beading then panel, rails etc etc.

I took them off and painted them outside laid across two garden chairs. Having four the paint on the first was dry by the time I finished the fourth.
Primered doors - best paint technique. - Altea Ego
I too have graduated to using a small close foam roller for the primary surfaces and panels of the door, and a brush to finish off the beads.

If its primed well, and your chosen satin coat is a simlar colour then no, no undercoat. two coats of stain wood should do it, You want the paint surface as thin as possible to show the grain and undercoat tends to fill it.
Based on that AE, would it be wise to test-paint an area of the door ?
Primered doors - best paint technique. - Altea Ego
thats a good plan

or tell the artisans what effect you want and leave it to them?

Yeah - I was given that advice last time ! However if I want them to do it I'll have to buy the paint anyway.......I bought some mini-rollers to paint behind the rads - I like the foam roller advice. Been tasked tomorrow to look for paint. Might go to a BMW garage by mistake though :-0
Primered doors - best paint technique. - Stuartli
The mini foam rollers are not only so easy to use to create a first class finish, but remarkably cheap as well.
Well all 16 new doors (yes 16) have now been painted - in the event they were given two coats of Dulux undercoat and then a double top-coat of Dulux Satinwood - expertly applied by brush by professionals. They look really good now.
Spare cables etc - Happy Blue!
Having a grand sort out at home and have discovered a huge number of cables that I have no need for. Such things as RJ45s(?), USBs, Power leads etc. I don't want to dump them, so what should I do with them.
Spare cables etc - bell boy
drop them off at your hospice shop
i would have a sniff through and buy something if i came upon them
Spare cables etc - Stuartli
>>drop them off at your hospice shop>>

The problem is that most charity organisations won't accept electrical goods or items due to, of course, 'Elf and Safety rules unless they have been tested by a qualified electrician. A charge for testing is made for each item, so defeats much of the object of raising money.

Perhaps a local school's computer club or similar might welcome the leads and cables or try www.freecycle.org?
Spare cables etc - ifithelps
How about an independent computer repairer/supplier?

There are a few dotted around who have workshops 'out the back' with computers in various states of repair.

Such an operation might be able to make use of the cables/give them away to impecunious customers.

Edited by ifithelps on 30/08/2009 at 16:09

Spare cables etc - Alby Back
Gift wrap them and send them to the members of your family / social circle who only ever send you rubbish presents. That'll teach 'em to send cheap socks !

;-)
Spare cables etc - Stuartli
>>How about an independent computer repairer/supplier>>

Good idea.

Step forward, Rattle...:-)

(He'll probably ask what you use each cable for though....)

Edited by Stuartli on 30/08/2009 at 16:33

Spare cables etc - crunch_time
Of course, the day after they go, you will need one of them.

Spare cables etc - maz64
I would try the local Freecycle website:
www.freecycle.org/
Spare cables etc - Mapmaker
Take them to your local scrap merchant. £2-£3 per kilo. Any other spare copper/brass will pay well too.
Does a petrol mower give a better cut? - ifithelps
I have a small area of green weeds which I laughingly call a lawn outside the caravan in leafy North Yorkshire.

Got chatting to the man next door as we were both cutting our respective patches.

There's no doubt his lawn has much more grass and fewer weeds than mine.

He told me he used to have an electric rotary mower like mine, but his lawn improved markedly when he bought a petrol rotary mower.

There could be no other explanation, he said, for why his lawn looked so much better after a few cuts - it had to be the petrol mower.

What do other Back Roomers think?

Do you get a better lawn with a petrol mower?

If so, why should this be?
Does a petrol mower give a better cut? - alfatrike
i don't think it does. maybe next door just has better grass. i have to use petrol as i have such a large area to cover and cables would be a nightmare.

not boasting about the size of the lawn, it's not mine. i just cut it.

if the grass is long and/or wet use a one with a grass box. a hover/mulching type is best used in the dry regularly, every 3 to 5 days is best.

if you have a lot of weeds use a broadleaf weed killer like evergreen or similar. it will look horid for a while untill the grass takes over.
Does a petrol mower give a better cut? - bathtub tom
Perhaps it's just because your neighbour's mower is newer?

I still prefer a cylinder mower. I was shown, many years ago, how to sharpen the blades. I do this at the start of each mowing year. It's surprising how much better the green stuff (I don't profess to have a lawn) looks at the start of the year. It particularly applies to rotary mowers also.

Most people I know never sharpen or replace the blade, they just seem to buy a new mower every few years and remark how much better it is than the old one.
Does a petrol mower give a better cut? - wd 40
I've used more grinding paste sharpening cylinder mower blades than bedding valves in ! :-)
set friction to 'stiff'
apply grinding paste to static blade
run mower bakkard's n forrards along drive/lawn angled so as not to cut grass, or tip mower side on and spin cylinder with large spanner
look for 'clean' and 'dull' patches on cylinder blade, adjust friction setting/reapply grinding paste accordingly, repeat as above

makes far more difference than whatever is powering the mower, beleive me
What's the {P} - alfatrike
what does it mean? sorry if i'm asking a stoopid question.
What's the {P} - Pugugly
A fad that older members took to show that their profile was on public show,

Edited by Pugugly on 31/08/2009 at 18:55

What's the {P} - bathtub tom
Less of the older please. ;>)

bathtub tom {p}
What's the {P} - alfatrike
wot? celebs talking with us plebby non famous people?
What's the {P} - Alby Back
That's the thing though isn't it with internet forums ( fora ? , fori ? ) it could be anyone. Some of them might be famous. For all you know I might be Elvis living incognito in Cheshire and driving a careworn Mondeo......Uh huh.....Whoops, nearly gave it away....
Do surge protectors trip RCD's - alfatrike
I just had to switch the power on AGAIN and then spend 10 minutes waiting for the router to become self aware.

i have what seems to be an over senitive RCD or is it RCCD? it trips for what seems no reason at all.

i had a sparky around last week who tested all the sockets and appliances. while he was at it he checked the RCD and found no fault.

he took one look at the surge protector extention lead i have the desktop and perrif's plugged into and he said that was causing my problem.

he offered to sell me a new non protected extention lead at quite a high price, i declined.

is he right? was he only trying to sell me an ext lead and not an RCD as that was what he had in the van?

i have come for 3 days in a row to find the power off.

Do surge protectors trip RCD's - rtj70
No. Get a new electrician to take a look.
ok, will do.
Do surge protectors trip RCD's - bathtub tom
Could be an over-sensitive circuit breaker.

I've experience of one, but it took a knowledgeable sparky to diagnose it.
i have the lowest sensetivity rcd as it is. i'll wait for a better sparky before i make any expensive purchases.
Do surge protectors trip RCD's - Stuartli
We have an excellent circuit breaker, which trips even if a light bulb goes.

However, I have two surge protector extension leads and a surge protector mains outlet for my computer and these have never been tripped or caused the circuit breaker to operate to date; the mains outlet plug is around 12 years old.

Edited by Stuartli on 31/08/2009 at 23:29

Do surge protectors trip RCD's - Rattle
The tests usualy put a massive load on the circuit to check the quality of the insulation and the connections.

What have you got plugged into the surge protector? There could well be a faulty applience connected to that.
i have the desktop pc, printer, scanner, screen, sound system and wireless router. they were all tested and are good.
Do surge protectors trip RCD's - buzbee
It might help you, if you know how RCD's work. They monitor the equality of the currents in the live and neutral leads -- the left hand and right hand socket pins when looking at a 13 amp socket. When this becomes unbalanced to the extent of about 30 milli-amps (0.03 amps) that trips the breaker.

Thus if you connect something between the live pin (left hand one) and the earth pin, on a 13 amp socket, and it takes more than about 30 milli-amps, it trips because the live wire is passing that 30 milliamps of current whilst the neutral wire (left hand pin) is taking nothing because you are using the earth pin as your other wire. (A circuit needs two wires)

You can do your own test to verify this. Connect a (two wire) lamp-holder between the live pin and earth pin, on a 13 amp plug, and have, say, a 15 watt lamp in it, and then plug it in. The RCD should operate (the one feeding that plug) as you will be taking about 60 milli-amps. Indeed, rather more before the lamp warms up.

From this you can see that your problem is usually caused by a wire having a leakage to earth -- inadequate insulation. That wire could be anywhere in your house that is fed through that the RCD that trips. The fault may be in your surge protector. Who knows. So why not take it out of circuit for a while and see if the problem goes away?

If the fault is elsewhere in your electrical system, you can narrow it down yourself by removing fuses (or opening the breaker) to turn off parts of the house and see if taking one particular fuse out, stop it. The electrician would do it by pulling all fuses and testing each wire using a megga -- a box of tricks that generates its own high voltage and shows if a wire has leakage. Before that he could test all wires together by using the main breaker to turn everything off. As that would leave all previously live wires still interconnected, and all neutral wires ditto.

Edited by buzbee on 02/09/2009 at 00:53

Do surge protectors trip RCD's - pmh3
Good detailed explanation - just to add one point. It is possible under certain circumstances (where the neutral has 'floated ' up by a few volts, for a short of neutral to earth in the consumer premises to cause a trip).

Can you however explain why a incandesent bulb will sometimes trip an rcd when it finally expires?
pmh3

The short answer is ' no', not easily.

Was the bulb used in a metal lamp-holder, I wonder? Because that would usually be earthed as part of the larger lamp metal structure. Then, if the bulb failure some how managed to cause current to flow to the bulb metal cap, in that bulb socket, that would do it.

Correction>

The right hand pin is the live, not the left one.

I wrote it and then changed them over when I posted it. Too much midnight oil.

Mods, can you alter please? The 2nd line should read "the right hand and left hand socket pins" .

The first line of 2nd paragraph should read "the live pin (right hand one)
Do surge protectors trip RCD's - jbif
testing each wire using a megga -- a box of tricks >>

"Megger", at least that is what is used by the sparkies that I know.

And they would advise not to play with 240V mains electricity if you do not know what you are doing!

Edited by jbif on 02/09/2009 at 10:43

thank's for all the advice. i have only energy saver light bulbs, no fillament type. i'm getting a new less sensative RCD fitted tomorrow, if the sparky turns up.
Do surge protectors trip RCD's - FotheringtonThomas
Worth finding out what the problem is, IMO - if you've a 30mA RCD, and go to (say) an 80mA one, it could easily still trip. Favourite causes are things with heating elements in them. An incandescent light bulb blowing will not cause your RCD to trip.
Do surge protectors trip RCD's - maz64
An incandescent light bulb blowing will not cause your RCD to trip.

When a bulb goes in our house, it often trips the corresponding circuit switch in the fuse box in the garage. Is that anything to do with RCD?
Do surge protectors trip RCD's - oldnotbold
From - www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects/bulbs.htm

When a bulb blows, 99% of the time the fuse for the lighting circuit will blow or trip also. This makes the problem seem rather bigger than it actually is. The reason for a blowing lamp tripping an MCB is that the lamp element gets thinner during its life to the point where it breaks at the thinnest point, this point will melt just before failure. The resistance of the overheating element will momentarily be very low and a current surge is caused, this is picked up by MCB's but generally not fuses.
Do surge protectors trip RCD's - maz64
From - www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects/bulbs.htm

crystal clear, thanks
Do surge protectors trip RCD's - pmh3
>>An incandescent light bulb blowing will not cause your RCD to trip. <<

It can and it does sometimes. Been the subject of much discussion as to why it can happen.

(And I do mean RCD not MCB)!
Do surge protectors trip RCD's - Altea Ego
An incandescent light bulb blowing will not cause your RCD
to trip.

In my house it trips the lighting circuit MCB 75% of the time. Depends on how the bulb fails.
Do surge protectors trip RCD's - FotheringtonThomas
>> An incandescent light bulb blowing will not cause your RCD
>> to trip.
In my house it trips the lighting circuit MCB 75% of the time. Depends on
how the bulb fails.

Yes, normally due to excessive current tripping the (6A?) MCB, I get this too, but have mainly "energy saving" lamps now, & haven't had a problem with those.

I should be interested in an explanation od (PMH's?) assertation that RCDs can and are tripped by incandescent bulb failure - a very rare event, surely?
Do surge protectors trip RCD's - oldnotbold
Close to 100% in mine, though not the 12v halogens obviously.
Do surge protectors trip RCD's - Lud
Failure of an incandescent bulb will trip a trip and will also often blow a conventional capsule fuse or fuse wire. Not always perhaps, but often.
Do surge protectors trip RCD's cont from 308 - pmh3
>>>>I should be interested in an explanation od (PMH's?) assertation that RCDs can and are tripped by incandescent bulb failure - a very rare event, surely? <<<<

FT

Not that rare event - several of us had seen it happen and pondered as to the reason why.

After much discussion, a group of us (who were largely CEng MIET, but not in the 'power environment') came to the conclusion that the tripping was due to the effect of the very high surge current (very short term), and small differences in the 'windings' on the 'Live' and 'Neutral' coils causing the trip to operate. The RCD operates on the differential 'Amp -Turns', and at normal operating currents the difference in windings is of no consequence until there is a current differential.

If you have a different viewpoint would be interested to hear it.

PS be warned - if the thread is made Read Only while you are posting a reply you stand a chance of losing your reply. Only saved because I now always 'copy' before hitting Post

I was editing as you posted - I've moved it into 308 so it makes easier reading

Edited by Pugugly on 03/09/2009 at 15:34

Do surge protectors trip RCD's? - FotheringtonThomas
> Not that rare event - several of us had seen it happen and pondered as to the
> reason why.
>
> After much discussion, a group of us (who were largely CEng MIET, but not in the
> 'power environment') came to the conclusion that the tripping was due to the effect
> of the very high surge current (very short term), and small differences in the
> 'windings' on the 'Live' and 'Neutral' coils causing the trip to operate.

That sounds like a possible mechanism - however, I still think it must be a rare event. Most people of course refer to the "RCD" tripping when they don't *mean* "RCD".
Do surge protectors trip RCD's? - madux
Took me ages to work out why the RCD to my garage kept tripping - Sorry if that is not the right expression, FT - It was my approach light wot did it. Replaced with a dusk-to-dawn low-energy sensor bulb. No more problems and a big cost saver over the years...........
Do surge protectors trip RCD's? - pmh3
Most people of course refer to the "RCD" tripping when they don't *mean* "RCD".<<

The credibility of the group who were discussing it was not in question, several of us had seen it happen and were surprised. However the average man in the street does not understand the issue, (or various 'qualified' electricians!).
Energy saving light bulbs - 150w? - Rattle
The landing ceiling is fabricated and there is a standard 1980 pendant fitting. The problem is underneath this is a 1950's pendant with about half 15cm of cable to the modern fitting. This was done because when the house was rewired in 1980 it would have meant taking the ceiling down to get to it. My late grandad replaced this fabricated ceiling to remove the old polysterene tiles in the early 1990's and I took a picture of the old light fitting. The flylead is black and it does like some early form of plastic rather than rubber but I am not certain.

I really don't want to have to replace the light fitting in case the wiring going into is rubber and I end up damaging and already suspect cable.

We have always used 150w bulbs on this fitting because its the only light in the entire landing and its big.

My question is does a 150w (eqv) energy saving light bulb exist? I know you can 20w versions which are supposed to be the same as 100w but in my experience they are not.

In other parts of the house I have just used spot light fittings and fitted 8w energy saving bulbs which gives off a very nice light when you have 3 or 4 for of them.

Also while on the subject when will these LED lights be ready? I could do with fitting one under the stairs as the existing golf ball light gets a little hot for such a tiny space.
Energy saving light bulbs - 150w? - Stuartli
>>My question is does a 150w (eqv) energy saving light bulb exist?>>

We use two 150w bulbs in the main living room (we have 11ft high ceilings), but I've never been able to find a low energy bulb delivering anywhere near the equivalent output; in any case we both hate low energy bulbs, which are only used in the porch, landing and hall way, because of the type of light emitted, warm up time and lower light output compared to traditional incandescent bulbs.
Energy saving light bulbs - 150w? - Rattle
Same problem here 11 foot ceilings. House was built to a high standard with electricity in 1906.

I have just spotted a '120w' energy saving bulb which uses 24 watts but I suspect this will be no better than a standard 100w bulb.

Energy saving bulbs are all very well in modern houses with small rooms and low ceilings but my parents has big open rooms and high ceilings with only one light fitting per room.

Energy saving light bulbs - 150w? - alfatrike
try here

tinyurl.com/l8dsab
Energy saving light bulbs - 150w? - smokie
On the same subject, tonight's news contained an item about the fact that "old style" light bulbs are no longer legal to manufacture or import (from Sept 1). You can still buy them while stocks last, but once they're gone, they're gone.
Energy saving light bulbs - 150w? - 1400ted
It might be my fault that they're stopping selling them I did a bit of ' panic buying ' last year and bought a pack every time we went to the supermarket....I think we've got about 60 100 watters and a nice collection of ' golf balls ' Only use the new type on the two landings and in the outside lights and ain't gonna change.
Sorry,

Ted
Energy saving light bulbs - 150w? - perro
I'd go back to the oil lamp before using those blimmin CFL's - and I'm not joking either!
Energy saving light bulbs - 150w? - Old Navy
Wont be a problem soon, I heard on the "Classic FM" news this morning that at current (sorry) rates in eight years electricity consumption will exeed output and rationing may result. I find that 23w cfl lamps are a good 100w replacement and higher wattages are availiable. I think the people saying cfls are rubbish tried them years ago and havent tried the newer ones which are much improved, (except the cheap unbranded rubbish).

Edited by Old Navy on 01/09/2009 at 11:29

Energy saving light bulbs - 150w? - rtj70
Some of the energy savers we've got are too bright - I must have picked up the wrong ones or something. Also impressed with how much smaller some are - the tubes twist around to make the bulbs smaller overall.
Energy saving light bulbs - 150w? - Armitage Shanks {p}
Incandescent bulbs can still be legally sold for "Industrial use" and as a "Rough Service Lamp" as used in garage pit inspection lamps. Usual EU/UK foul up!
tinyurl.com/lam4e4
tinyurl.com/lam4e4 Incandescent bulbs can still be legally sold so long as they are not for "Household" use, and who is going to know what you are buting them for? Usual EU/UK foul up!
Energy saving light bulbs - 150w? - Stuartli
>>Usual EU/UK foul up!>>

Bit like a double posting seven minutes apart, but with a bit of re-phrasing...:-)

Edited by Stuartli on 01/09/2009 at 17:04

OAP at the controls of a 6 year old computer - a double post waiting to happen! :(
Energy saving light bulbs - 150w? - bell boy
a few thoughts
i wouldnt go down a pit with heavy fuels and a 240 volt bulb
i dont like these modern bulbs as they are like small flourescent tubes and make me go tired when i try to read by them
i have lots of those small ikea type slot or bayonet bulbs in the house and all they do mainly is create lots of heat
Energy saving light bulbs - 150w? - tyro
Ha! Almost 5 years ago, I asked this same question - tinyurl.com/mvwlzv - and got no answers.

I finally found them, and one hangs over my head as I type.

I got them online, and bought a box of them - Helix PRO-LITE - see, for example toward the bottom of this page: tinyurl.com/m3ywbm

I reckon that they are as good as the incandescent ones.
Energy saving light bulbs - 150w? - perro
>>>Ha! Almost 5 years ago, I asked this same question<<<

Well done that man! I've been looking for 60w soft tone pinx for ages & that site stocks them.
L'escargot - why don't you order a dozen fireglow Re: your electric fire.

Has anyone tried the Halogen bulbs, I don't mean the mini spot 12v types, but the full size (expensive) Halogen bulbs to replace the incandescent 100w jobs.
Energy saving light bulbs - 150w? - L'escargot
........."old style"
light bulbs are no longer legal to manufacture or import (from Sept 1).

We have an electric fire which has a glow, and a flickering flame effect provided by a conventional 40W bulb which produces sufficient heat to produce an up-current of air which causes a fan in close proximity above it to rotate. Will this type of fire cease to be manufactured? A low energy bulb wouldn't produce enough heat and subsequent up-current of air to make a fan rotate. When we run out of bulbs our fire will lose its glow and flickering flame.

Edited by L'escargot on 02/09/2009 at 08:03

Energy saving light bulbs - 150w? - ifithelps
...We have an electric fire which has a glow...

What about my very stylish lava lamp?

I doubt a low energy bulb will produce enough heat to boil the wax.

Edited by ifithelps on 02/09/2009 at 11:31

Cheap white plastic garden chairs - Mapmaker
Google fails me, perhaps somebody can think more laterally than I can.

A quantity of cheap garden plastic/resin chairs is required.

These would be idea direct.tesco.com/q/R.202-6972.aspx at under £4 each, but are out of stock. Any better ideas? (I know the season is over, but even so...)

Thanks.
Cheap white plastic garden chairs - alfatrike
how long do you need them for?

hire or buy?
Cheap white plastic garden chairs - Stuartli
Tesco actually states that it is a discontinued line.

Cheapest I've found:

tinyurl.com/kt9nmk

tinyurl.com/nnefyf

Argos does sell them, but more expensive:

tinyurl.com/l735ym

Or try e-Bay:

tinyurl.com/l7z9bp

Edited by Stuartli on 02/09/2009 at 00:50

Cheap white plastic garden chairs - Dynamic Dave
Do they have to be white?

ALDI occasionally have green ones as part of their weekly special offers for something like £5 each.
Cheap white plastic garden chairs - Mapmaker
Buy, not hire. marquee companies charge about a tenner for a day's hire; Tescos sell them for under £4 - but have discontinued them for the winter.

Best part of 100 required, wo sourcing 25 sets of 4 from eBay, local collect only is likely to be a bit awkward!

Any advance on Focus at £6.29? (for which thanks) Where is there a wholesaler? (I guess they are made in the winter for spring sale in the shops. Which makes it tricky.)

{edited as the word marquee got caught by the swear filter as it's also used as a HTML command that we prefer people didn't use}

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 02/09/2009 at 11:24

Cheap white plastic garden chairs - Stuartli
>>Any advance on Focus at £6.29? >>

Cheapest were actually £4.99:

tinyurl.com/lw4a3l

I would suspect that Tesco etc go direct to the manufacturers as, for instance, there are Chinese firms offering them providing at least 200 are ordered; they are sent direct from China and delivery is estimated in under a fortnight.
Cheap white plastic garden chairs - L'escargot
We used to have "cheap white plastic garden chairs" in our tea-break areas at work. The leg of one of them broke. Within minutes all of them were cordoned off and an instruction was issued by our Health and Safety officer that they were henceforth banned!
Cheap white plastic garden chairs - helicopter
I remember in Kefalonia seeing a pickup truck driven by a gypsy type gent with around 10 stacks 20 or so high with white garden chairs on the back all roped together.

It looked mighty unstable and swaying as it came down the mountain road and round a hairpin over a 500 ft cliff drop to the sea towards me......

What was remarkable that perched quite happily on the swaying top chair of each of the three front stacks were Mum and two kids enjoying the trip......

Cheap white plastic garden chairs - Altea Ego
What was remarkable that perched quite happily on the swaying top chair of each of
the three front stacks were Mum and two kids enjoying the trip......

I think you will find they were working, picking olives as they passed.
Cheap white plastic garden chairs - alfatrike
not wanting to sound like a mugg for advertising but have you tried alibaba.com? the ads are everywhere at the moment.

as you want a hundred you might be in with a chance.

when do you need them for?
Jury Service - Armitage Shanks {p}
I have now reached the age where I have loads of life expereince, perhaps, but am deemed too old for jury service. I have spent nearly 20 years abroad but have never been called for service. Have any BR members served on a jury and was it a good thing to have done?
Jury Service - Altea Ego
Yes I have, and despite the fact I had a harrowing case (for which the judge thanked us and gave us 20 years dispensation form further jury service) its a wonderful experience.

Sometimes boring, but if you get a good case, its drama tension theatre and egos all on display. Its little wonder that tv keep trying to make courtroom drama, but never quite capture the buzz.
Jury Service - maz64
I have now reached the age where I have loads of life expereince

...unlike myself who was still at school (6th form) when called up! Can't remember the exact details but turned up at court and found we (ie. not just me) weren't needed.
Jury Service - Alanovich
I have. I was called a few years back when I was in my mid-30s.

I found it interesting and I was pleased to be able to do my bit.

The only disappointment was that the judges threw both of the cases on which I sat out after the prosecution evidence, as he felt there was insufficient evidence to convict. Felt a bit ambivalent about the Crown Prosecution Service ever since.

There were a few moments of comedy - such as the evidence delivered by one witness in an alleged armed robbery of a famous hamburger joint. The getaway car had been left outside unattended with the keys in and the engine running. Said witness had twigged what was going on, jumped in the car, took the keys out and went and hid in a bush to observe the chaos once the robbers returned to the vehicle. He was ever so pleased with himself when giving his evidence, and the description of the scene which he gave provoked much muffled laughter in the court.

I would like to be called again.
Jury Service - bathtub tom
The most boring two weeks of my life!

Fortunately, I didn't have to listen to any harrowing cases, just one scroat who deserved what he got - a clip round the ear - we found the defendant not guilty.

The rest of the jury were, frighteningly, like the general public. They didn't seem to listen to the evidence and would misconstrue what they did hear. We had to refer back to the court a couple of times because a couple of jurors wouldn't believe the rest of us on items of evidence.
Jury Service - perro
I 'got the call' many years ago, so I went to see the clerk of the court, told im I was self employed and stood to lose a shed load of the folding green stuff.
He gave me the ok + he became a regular customer of mine.
Jury Service - Lud
It's a civic duty, like helping the police when they shout 'Follow that car!' and joining the armed forces when there's a major war. And voting in civilised countries where it's compulsory.

I've been called twice. First time, sat about all day and was told I wasn't needed. The second time I was so busy I just didn't have the time, and asked the authorities to try me again later. Instead they said I was excused for life, and I didn't bother to argue although I was a bit annoyed. My wife was called once, and she so hated the idea that she pleaded insanity or something like that. They let her off too.

I would have enjoyed it. It would have been a bit like the backroom. Would have made a good movie. 'Six zombies, two trolls, three eccentric disciplinarians and, er, someone else, all in various states of despair, irritation and ire'.

Bit more interesting than twelve angry men, what? You can see as many of those as you want whenever there's a ball game on TV in the boozer after all.
Jury Service - helicopter
Yep - Called up for a fortnight . .

It was many years ago and we had a drink driving case .

The defendants barrister was a sarcastic snotty young man who did his client no end of harm by arguing and questioning points of law with the judge at interminable length and attacking the police evidence and obviously irritating the judge ... who did keep his temper.

Three day trial ........it took us 20 minutes to bring in a verdict of guilty.

The rest of the time we spent hanging around the court or in the pub over the road.
Jury Service - perro
I've often thought I wouldn't be the ideal candidate for jury service as I've been on 'the other side of the fence' as it were, but then again I might well be ideal for that very reason!
On the other hand. I'd be ready to 'lock the door & throw away the key' with some of the heinous crimes that I read about these days - I just would not be able to remain emotionally detached.
Jury Service - ifithelps
...The most boring two weeks of my life!...

Jurors are routinely called for two weeks and I've known many instances where they don't get a case to sit on in all that time.

There's now an informal system of bartering between prosecution and defence lawyers which takes place on the morning of the trial.

The prosecution routinely waters down the charge in exchange for a guilty plea, so a jury that was needed at 10.30am is not needed when negotiations are completed an hour or two later.

Best tip if you are called for jury service is be prepared for a lot of waiting around - take a book, knitting, Sudoku puzzle machine - anything to help pass the time.
Jury Service - Armitage Shanks {p}
Thank you gentlemen! I had some interest in the law in that I conducted defences at courts martial when I was in the RAF but I think I would have enjoyed jury service if called. Loved the tale about the nicked keys in the get-away car BTW! Great stuff.
Jury Service - Optimist
If I can chuck in my twopennorth a bit late in the day.

I did jury service once, in the late eighties it must have been. Case was a fraud and lasted into a second week IIRC.

I was amazed that anyone would give the prosecuting counsel money. He struck me as hopeless and probably not safe out on his own. The judge was like someone from a theatre company acting the part of a judge. He made great use of his pencil and notebook and learned counsel for the prosecution kept telling witnesses to watch his honour's pencil, that is not to go too fast for the old buffer.

There was a wonderful variety of us in the jury room including rather a rough diamond and a couple of very middle class ladies. The rough diamond was a Private Eye reader and referred to all the police who appeared as witnesses, or were mentioned in the case, as "Inspector Knacker". It still makes me smile to recall watching the ladies trying to work out why any policeman might have such a funny name.

Verdict was guilty but not on all the charges. His honour indicated disbelief and disapproval in an intake of breath and a long stare at the jury.

Interesting experience overall.
Jury Service - FotheringtonThomas
Yes, twice, so I won't be called for a few years.

The reluctance to convict even in the face of convicing evidence is astounding.

Edited by FotheringtonThomas on 03/09/2009 at 14:09