Bad Mechanic, what now? - Blunt
I?ve a 1972 Ford Transit Camper. I was having a brake problem with loosing fluid so called out a mobile mechanic. He diagnosed a problem with the rear brakes, asking me to get the parts. As instructed I bought, shoes, fit kit, cylinders for both sides and he came and rebuilt the brakes. Less than a mile later there was a bang and the rear brakes on one side had come away, bending the back plate, wrecking the new parts and snapping the brake pipe. This leaves me with a vehicle I can not even move, I?ve bought shoes, fit kit and cylinder and he said he will come back and rectify the work. He has not been seen since, and isn?t answering his phone; he has the keys and has been paid.

He?s not admitted responsibility but I fail to see how it couldn?t be his fault. What do I do now?
Bad Mechanic, what now? - Cris_on_the_gas
Make contact with him, ask him to fix the problem straight away, if he is not answering his phone write a letter and take it round his house and give it to him personally. Ask him to fix the problem as soon as possible or in any case within a couple of days. State that if he does not you will get the vehicle repaired and then take him to the Small claims to reclaim your costs. Advise him this will result in additional costs of litigation and hire vehicle costs. That should make him sit up and take notice. Advise him that he has the keys only with your permission and any action he takes with them apart from repairing the brakes will be TWOC. If he TWOC get the Police involved
Bad Mechanic, what now? - bell boy
to be blunt blunt
go round with a mate get the keys off him some money off him and walk away
end off
Bad Mechanic, what now? - SteVee
is the problem that you only have his mobile (cell) phone number ?

How did you find him - from an advert ? If so, then perhaps the publisher (newspaper/directory?) of the advert can assist you in finding him.
Bad Mechanic, what now? - Martin Devon
I would find him.
Bad Mechanic, what now? - Rattle
Not much help now but I do mobile computer repairs and I have had problems with some fly by night operators.

As rule always make sure their address is printed on adverts and use google maps to varify it exists.

Also check they have the correct insurance etc. It is a sad fact that sometimes mobile operators can be cowboys because they can hide easily. I am not saying this is the case here you need to give him chance as there might be a logical explanation for him ignoring you so far.

My mate had a problem when a garage tried to charge him £300 to diagnose a head gasket failure. The garage refused to give him the car back until he paid the head extornate fee. My mate thought £50 was more than reasonable. He got the police involved who luckily knew a bit about cars and agreed it was a rip off. He then ordered the garage to give him the car back (engine in pieces) otherwise they would be done for theft.

Edited by Rattle on 27/08/2009 at 20:01

Bad Mechanic, what now? - alfatrike
if you can't hold of him ask a friend to ring saying they have a problem. when the mec turns up politely block him in and then ask him to resolve the problem then and there. if no joy ring the police and ask for a squad car to attend as you feel threatened.
Bad Mechanic, what now? - gordonbennet
Im surprised he wanted you to get the parts B, most mech's would want to diagnose the problem and order the parts themselves, as it is he may well try to claim the wrong parts have been supplied.

I don't think i'd really want him to have a second attempt at my vehicle, as suggested get the money back from him if and when you find him and then get recommended small repair shop to sort it proper like, just be thankful no one was hurt.