Extending warranty on new car at point of sale - Attila
Hello,

I have just put down a deposit on a new car (delivery miles only) from Motorpoint. The car is a UK spec import pre-registered in August 2009. As an import it has the full 2 year manufacturer's warranty but no extra year's dealer warranty as you normally get in the UK. I have been offered an extra year's warranty from Motorpoint for £399 and a further year (bringing total warranty to 4 years) for £299. This is only available when purchasing a new car. I am aware that there are quite a few after-market warranties available which I could look to buy later when the manufacturer's warranty is about to run out.

I would appreciate your views on whether I am better off: (1) waiting for just under 2 years, after which I will have a better idea of how reliable the car is and whether extending the warranty is a good idea; or (2) buying the Motorpoint warranty now, taking advantage of the "special rates" available only when purchasing a new car.

Another point: if I were to sell the car, would the addition of the (transferable) warranty help me get a better resell value?

Cheers.
Extending warranty on new car at point of sale - ifithelps
Last time I looked, the Motorpoint warranty looked overpriced, although I didn't look into it in any detail.

HJ has spoken well of Warranty Direct in the past, so worth getting a quote from them.

At one time, they were running a joint promotion with The Daily Telegraph.

I would also contact the manufacturer and local franchise dealer.

OK, you didn't buy the car from them, but you are looking to spend money, so they should be doing their best to make sure you leave the premises poorer than when you arrived.