Head blown - advice req'd - Citroënian {P}
Hi,

The Clio has blown it's head gasket (thread below), and I've had it sorted out by an independent. Now I don't know a whole lot about how engines work, but could someone tell me the answers to these questions?

1) What causes a gasket to go? I'd rather not have another do the same...
2) Should the car be as good as before if it's fixed?
3) What should I look out for after it's been changed? Are there any trouble signs I should look out for?

Cheers,
Lee
(now suffering from Renault-based poverty syndrome)
Head blown - advice req'd - Miller
Nine times out of ten I would say it is down to neglected coolant checks/changes coupled with driving up to the rev limiter more than is neccesary, obviously some engines can take alot more abuse than others. The old Rover 200/400 series 1.4 engine is probably most notorious for this problem if not maintained carefully.
Head blown - advice req'd - Adam Going (Tune-Up)
Hi Lee,

1)Neglected anti-freeze checks/replenishment, causing/allowing corrosion and weakening gasket. Renault's own anti-freeze not highly respected in the trade - we see a high number of badly corroded temp sensors, for example - so suggest a quality brand such as Bluecol. Overheating due to low coolant levels, blockages in cooling system/radiator, or inoperative cooling fan.Overheating due to incorrect ignition timing and/or incorrect fuelling (less likely on modern engines with full management systems, but still possible).

2)Yes, provided evrything is put together correctly, especially cam timing.

3)Keep an eye on temperature and coolant level, and for any obvious coolant leaks. Ensure repairers check face of cylinder head for distorion prior to re-fitting, and have it machined flat if necessary.

HTH, Adam
Head blown - advice req'd - Citroënian {P}
Adam,

many thanks, that's the most comprehensive answer I could have hoped for and I know now what to look out for in the next few days. I'll keep an eye on the temperature and take it easy driving for a bit.

Next time you're in West Yorks, there's a pint waiting for you :-)
Cheers,
Lee.

PS ... and the rusty exhaust has blown through too. It doesn't rain.....
Head blown - advice req'd - Mike H
See recent thread on "Saab 900s". My old Saab 9000 had new head gastket at 148,000 (first time engine had been opened up). Just had a new gasket, no skimming of head, and still going strong 50,000 miles later. If the head was fixed properly, should be good as new, assuming that all relevant checks were made to investigate why (mine was just old age).