Can you spot the engine bay modification? (pic) - oilrag
Just finished prepping the engine bay on the 2005, Mk2b Multijet Punto Van.

Serviced - Mobil 1 & filters + under-body grease (and so on)

Engine bay protected as usual with WD40 prior to Autumn.

But there`s something that`s none standard - can you spot it?

(I don`t mean the boat varnish - that you might just be able to detect, having soaked into the wiring looms taped joints)

Here are two views of the engine bay.

www.oilrag.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/multi1.jpg

www.oilrag.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/multi2.jpg
Can you spot the engine bay modification? (pic) - gordonbennet
Have you been buying 5 year red anti freeze Oily, i can't quite remember if they came with red stuff, but i'm guessing not.

Well done getting the motors ready for the cooling weather by the way.
Yes,GB. The van came with the red and I changed it last year, with Fiats own red long life stuff, Paraflu UP. Changed at 2.5 years.

The 1.9D came with blue and continues to use that. I`ve used Glyco-shell every one to two years.

Can you spot the engine bay modification? (pic) - OldSock
Do you have a lot of time on your hands, oily?

:-)
Can you spot the engine bay modification? (pic) - Mr.Tee43
How about the very "non factory" looking insulation tape around the wiring loom ?
Can you spot the engine bay modification? (pic) - Old Navy
>>(I don`t mean the boat varnish - that you might just be able to detect, having soaked into the wiring looms taped joints)>> >>

>>How about the very "non factory" looking insulation tape around the wiring loom ?>>

???? You forgot to read the OP Mr T. :-)

Cant see the mod, but dont know the fiat engine bay.

Edited by Old Navy on 21/08/2009 at 21:01

Can you spot the engine bay modification? (pic) - bathtub tom
How about the jubilee clip on the hose just to the left of the battery, in the second pic?. All the other clips AREN'T jubilee. It's not shown in the first pic, so I'm probably wrong and therefore I'll go for:
You've rubbed some dust into the valleys of the air filter inlet hose to show how clean the rest is?
Can you spot the engine bay modification? (pic) - brum
You've changed the italian lump of pigiron for a decent VAG engine?
Answers to both threads tomorrow morning ;-)
Can you spot the engine bay modification? (pic) - Kevin
Brake/clutch fluid reservoir?

Kevin...

Can you spot the engine bay modification? (pic) - Clanger
You've fitted one of those magnetic things that clamp over the fuel line and give you hundreds of miles per gallon, haven't you? I think I can just see the end of the unit under the engine cover.

Every motorist should have one ...
Can you spot the engine bay modification? (pic) - L'escargot
One of the bolts holding the battery clamp is UNF in place of the original metric bolt.
OK, The only none standard part is the front bonnet sealing strip. Standard on the MK2 (but not MK2b) I have just fitted one. In the picture, the bonnet has yet to be closed on it.

I don`t know why it`s not fitted on the `b`as without it, at speed, rain and road spray comes in all over the top of the engine and its electrics. In particular the battery top is right in line with where the seal is and without one is covered in water.
Then of course It`s salt spray off the motorways in Winter.

So why not fit them to the Mk2b? It`s been suggested at the dealers that it `may` be down to the engine needing cooling. Fair enough, it`s a point of view - but is it cost cutting and saving a few bob on a non essential part.

It`s often said that "Manufacturer knows best" R&D and all that. But is that the engineers or cost cutting dept talking?

It`s been improved previously,by the fine mesh grill over the radiator and it`s difficult to see how the strip is anything other than cost cutting.
At least the battery top will be dry, next `boat race`down the M1.

Thanks for having interest in the pics & question. ;-)
Can you spot the engine bay modification? (pic) - nick
>>''Manufacturer knows best" R&D

Unfortunately it's so often the manufacturer's accountants that think they know best.
Should have spotted that, it looks like a length of pipe insulation.
It`s the original Fiat part for the Mk2.

Edited by oilrag on 22/08/2009 at 11:06

I am sure it is oily, if a chunk of pipe insulation was in my engine bay no one would recognise it through the 50odd thousand mile patina. You would defiinitely notice a new part though!

Edited by Old Navy on 22/08/2009 at 11:17

Can you spot the engine bay modification? (pic) - Number_Cruncher
>>But is that the engineers or cost cutting dept talking?

If you left a certain type of engineer to their own devices, you would end up with a car few could afford - they need to be reigned in and controlled.

I'm sure Fiat sensibly took the view that more of its customers would be happy paying for an extra gizmo on the dashboard, central locking perhaps, or posher cloth on the seats than an unglamourous bit of rubber under the bonnet - which clearly wasn't essential.

During the life of a vehicle many manufacturers keep their engineers busy with "cost down" excercises which trim a surprising amount of uneeded and expensive carp from cars.

Can you spot the engine bay modification? (pic) - the swiss tony
During the life of a vehicle many manufacturers keep their engineers busy with "cost down"
excercises which trim a surprising amount of uneeded and expensive carp from cars.

From oilrag....'I don`t know why it`s not fitted on the `b`as without it, at speed, rain and road spray comes in all over the top of the engine and its electrics. In particular the battery top is right in line with where the seal is and without one is covered in water.
Then of course It`s salt spray off the motorways in Winter.'

water on engine and electrics?
Id say (over time) that likely to cause problems...
id rather go without a cosmetic 'improvement' and keep with better waterproofing!
Can you spot the engine bay modification? (pic) - zookeeper
is it the robinsons summer fruit cordial drink dispenser resevoir?
Can you spot the engine bay modification? (pic) - Number_Cruncher
>>water on engine and electrics?

Are the unmodified cars suffering for the lack of this seal? I doubt it.

Was oilrag's car suffering in any other than a cosmetic way for the lack of this seal?

gulp..........
Can you spot the engine bay modification? (pic) - zookeeper
OIL being of sage ness , can you recommend the best protection for brake lines, i bought some waxoil clear but i dont want to waste it on brake lines is there a thicker , stickier solution?
There's a wire-type hose clip around the large diameter smooth hose (near the front bonnet seal, on the right of the engine looking from the front), in the middle of the hose, which doesn't appear to have the function of securing the end of the hose.
Zookeeper,

Castrol CL grease - Halfords. CL is waterproof.

Regards
"on the right of the engine looking from the front), in the middle of the hose,"

Hi, L`Escargot,
It`s ribbing on the otherwise smooth surface of the air intake hose. Just two ribs, near together looking like one of those old twin wire hose clips.

Hi L`Escargot
It`s ribbing ..........

I should have gone to Specsavers!
Well spotted though ;-)
Here is a pic of the bonnet seal as a standard fitting on our Mk2.

www.oilrag.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/engine.jpg

Edited by oilrag on 23/08/2009 at 09:09