Mechanical check? - icujimmer
Hallo
In the Market for a polo and have seen what I think is a good one. Has fsh. But I am no mechanic. 
If it's had Mot this week, and a full service in feb, do I need to pay to have it checked out by a mechanic? Or rather, which elements need to be checked?
Thanks in advance!
Mechanical check? - Rattle
Yep you do need to get it checked out. A 12 months MOT is a guarentee it has a bit of paper which allows you to use it on the roads for 12 months.

A trusted indie should be able to do do a decent inspection or you can pay a bit more and get a proper AA/RAC style inspection for complete peace of mind.
Mechanical check? - bell boy
hpi? done?
did you see the ons show the other night with log book frauds on?
very tasty
an inspection by your local garage is an excellant idea on anything vw
think timing belts, electric power steering,clutch pedals for starters
Yep - it's HPI clear and has lots of service receipts ...
What's the bet way to organise a local mechanic to come and have a look? I'd rather not pay for a full AA inspection?
Thanks again.
Mechanical check? - Rattle
With my car I asked the seller if its ok to drive down to my mechanic so he can check it out. He found an oil leak in which he was sure it was just the sump which needed tightening and that the clutch cable needed badly adjusting. Both jobs cost basicaly nothing to fix buit to somebody you and me we might have walked away.

He had a good look underneath and found no evidence of any resprays or welding. Of course it can be hard to tell but as longs as everything else adds up....
Mechanical check? - bathtub tom
>>Yep - it's HPI clear

Who HPI'd it, you or the seller?

Was me ... got it done by the RAC and came up good.

Mechanical check? - jase1
you're buying a car for around 40% more than it would be worth without a vw badge on it.

200 quid for an aa inspection is a drop in the ocean.