96 1.8 recommendation for a recon engine supplier? - commerdriver
Timing belt went on my Son's Xantia at the weekend, while we are still waiting to hear the extent of the damage, I think it might be simpler to look at getting a reconditioned engine.
Last time I did this there were a lot of cowboys in this business.
Does anyone have a recommendation for a place to get a recon 16 valve 1.8 engine for a Xantia please?

Edited by Webmaster on 26/08/2009 at 14:30

96 1.8 can anyone recommend a recon engine supplie - doug_r1
I'd look for an mot failure with a good engine, it will probably work out cheaper and you get the benefit of being able to ask the owner about it's history.

However, unless you really love the car, then a blown petrol '96 Xantia is effectively scrap. Look on eBay or Autotrader for Xantias and see how little a good runner would cost you, it will probably work out cheaper than fixing yours.

Examples: there's two Xantias on ebay, one is an x-reg 1800 petrol currently around £500 (reserve not met), the other is a year 2000 HDI buy it now for £850, or best offer. At prices like this it's touch and go whether yours is worth repairing.
96 1.8 can anyone recommend a recon engine supplie - commerdriver
Thanks for the reply, probably not worth repairing in pure economics,

however car inherited from grandfather so sentimentally reluctant to scrap and son has just bought first house so would probably rather have the old car he knows than another old car which might do similar within a month, hence looking at repair option seriously.
96 1.8 can anyone recommend a recon engine supplie - Altea Ego
As suggested. By a second hand one thats failed mot on other stuff and had a recent cam belt change. At least that way you get a chance to discover the mileage of the unit and how well it runs. The cost will be about the same as a recon unit (thats just been washed in petrol to look cleaner) Or even change the belt while the unit is out - much easier.
96 1.8 can anyone recommend a recon engine supplie - The Gingerous One
Don't forget salvage yards can sell cat C cars and you might get one for £150 - £200. Don't worry about not having a V5 for it, all you are doing is ripping it apart for its' engine.
Whilst you have it, plunder it for anything else that you might need and then just shift the remains for scrap.
Put the old engine in the boot of the car being scrapped, there's no point re-fitting it!
96 1.8 can anyone recommend a recon engine supplie - davecuk
Avoid recon engines like the plague...most recon engines are going to be absolute rubbish, as a decent recon will cost so much that you would do far better buying a scrap or MOT fail vehicle.

Ultimately though with a 96 car just cut your losses and sell it on for scrap.
96 1.8 can anyone recommend a recon engine supplie - bell boy
you need an FER member nothing less will do if you are going full recon route
personally on this age i would be looking for a rear shunted doner vehicle if i had to go the sentiment route