Gearbox noise in intermediate gears - j_james
I have just bought a 1995 Nissan Sunny from a dealer with a years warranty. It's going fine apart from a noise which I didn't pick up on the test drive but has been worrying me a little since.

When slowing down in 2nd or 3rd gear there is a highish-pitched whine coming from the gearbox, which changes pitch in-line with engine speed. It's not metallic, more a whistling noise and it isn't very loud (quite quiet actually). It also happens to a lesser extent when accelerating lightly in these two gears. When maintaining a constant speed, accelerating hard, accelerating above around 2000 revs or so or in 1st or 4th gear the noise is not there. The car only has around 60000 miles on the clock, and the engine (a 1.6) is very quiet so it might not even have been noticable on a noisier car....

I have noticed this noise on a newish Micra 1.0, but of course here the engine noise drowns it out to an extent.

Is there anything to worry about here or should I get it checked out? Gearbox oil maybe (the car was serviced before I took delivery)?
Gearbox noise in intermediate gears - the conductor
dont worry most nissan gearboxes are like this. my micra does the same.
Gearbox noise in intermediate gears - Cyd
Trouble is, gearboxes can whine yet never fail. They can also be silent yet die suddenly. Unless it gets worse, leave it.

I'd change the oil though (no matter what the service history says). Use one of the high quality fully synthetic MTFs (eg Red Line or Torco). Try Demon Tweeks in Wrexham if you can't find any locally.
Gearbox noise in intermediate gears - David Lacey
The Honda gearbox fitted to my MGZS180 does pretty much the same....leave it :-)

MG-Rover Questions? forums.mg-rover.org/