Wing mirrors & MOT - smokie
Daugter has a broken wing mirror from a recent altercation. It is reasonably firmly held on with parcel tape, and is still "attached" by the wire of the adjusting mechanism. I haven't been able to source a replacement, although a rash have just appeared on ebay.

MOT is due at the end of the month, but she has one booked for this weekend. Is the mirror a fail?
Wing mirrors & MOT - commerdriver
I understood the rule to be that you have to have 2 mirrors, any 2 from n/s door, o/s door, interior.
I got a number of MOT's on the Commer with the inside 1 and the o/s door mirror before i found a bracket for the n/s door.
Wing mirrors & MOT - Number_Cruncher
>>I understood the rule to be that you have to have 2 mirrors, any 2 from n/s door, o/s door, interior.

Almost.

Excepting older cars, one of these two mirrors must be fitted on the offside of the vehicle.

So, if it's the N/S mirror which is damaged, and there are also O/S and interior mirrors, simply remove it and tape over the hole. If, however the O/S mirror is damaged, then, it must be in a secure condition to pass the MOT.

Edited by Number_Cruncher on 31/07/2009 at 00:11

Wing mirrors & MOT - datostar
Some grasping individual doing an MOT test tried to tell me that because he couldn't get the electrical adjustment on the offside mirror to work it was a fail (nothing wrong with it actually - he couldn't work the joystick contraption properly). I suggested that he place his right thumb in the bottom left corner of the glass and his index finger top right and move it to where he wanted it. Same fellow moaned about 'smearing' from the hardly ever used rear wiper. Not even part of the MOT. Haven't been back there since.
Wing mirrors & MOT - FP
Before anyone else says it - do you really mean "wing mirror"? Haven't seen one of those in decades...
Wing mirrors & MOT - 1400ted
Depends on the tester...if the rest of the car is ok then I would pass it and issue an advise. Also , to some extent, how much the rear vision is restricted may be relevant.
I 've not been on the test register for a few years now since retiring but I think the rules used to be 2 mirrors required so if the 3rd is broken, it may not matter.

Any good car shop or Halfords should be able to sell you a stick on glass if you need one and if the casing is secure, this will probably be ok.

Ted
Wing mirrors & MOT - bell boy
if its drivers overtaking mirror not working its a fail
assume its not a 1965 moskwich
passenger overtake you can ignore
Wing mirrors & MOT - datostar
if its drivers overtaking mirror not working its a fail
assume its not a 1965 moskwich
passenger overtake you can ignore

If the driver's side mirror was clean, intact and provided rearwards visibility, and could be adjusted manually to suit the driver from his/her seat I would consider it worthy of a pass and if it was failed because it could not be adjusted electrically that would be a definite appeal.
Wing mirrors & MOT - bathtub tom
www.motinfo.gov.uk/htdocs/m3s08000101.htm

edit: SNAP deepwith. ;>)

Edited by bathtub tom {p} on 31/07/2009 at 00:07

Wing mirrors & MOT - deepwith
If this link helps:

www.motuk.co.uk/manual_810.htm

From how I read it, should be fine if the rear view mirror is in working order.

Edited by deepwith on 31/07/2009 at 00:06

Wing mirrors & MOT - able1
Assuming the car is post 1978 and we are talking door mirrors not wing mirrors the requirement is o/s door mirror plus either interior or n/s door mirror .

Assuming you have a functioning interior mirror the n/s mirror becomes additional to the obligatory mirrors and is not subject to inspection.

If it is the o/s door mirror that is damaged a replacement stick on mirror can be obtained for about £3.

Thanks, it's the whole shell which is broken - glass is intact, and it's usable. But from what you guys say it's a fail. Just found a replacement on eBay, so will postpone this weekend's test.
Wing mirrors & MOT - jc2
If you weren't replacing it,the broken shell could fail you if sharp edges were exposed-as long as they were covered up it should be OK.
Phoned the test centre prior to the test and they advised is shouldn't fail, so went ahead with the test and door mirror turned out to be an advisory, but the car failed on 2nd Lambda tests and the test centre want £180 to fix.

Daughter is doing about 30 miles a day but she doesn't drive hard, would have thought that an Italian tune won't do the trick in that case??

The other problem is that I (a novice mechanic!!) changing the air filters a few weeks back and it misfires when cruising - seems OK when accelerating. As far as I can, I have checked that all the hoses went back on right and are not cracked. Any ideas, as I suspect this misfire would contribute to the Lambda fail?

Edited by smokie on 02/08/2009 at 10:57

I've sorted out the misfire which will probably clean up the exhaust for the MOT. I'd taken out a plug to see the model and must have knocked it putting it back in - the gap was way too small.