02 1.4 Brake pad change question. - dja1
I'm due to change the front pads on my diesel Yaris, but my Haynes manual warns that there is a risk of the seals in the master cylinder 'flipping' when you push back the caliper cylinders. Is this a real risk , anyone any comments?
Thanks
02 1.4 Brake pad change question. - Simon
I don't know about the Yaris but it is a potential risk on most vehicles albeit a very small one. I have never had a problem anyway and I think that as long as you do it gently, slowly and smoothly then all should be fine. If you are really concerned, crack open the bleed nipple before you push the pistons back, obviously using a pipe and a bottle to catch the fluid.
02 1.4 Brake pad change question. - dja1
Thanks Simon, I'll push the pistons back nice and easy. It's the first time I've seen that sort of warning in a Haynes Manual though.
02 1.4 Brake pad change question. - madf
When I changed mine, I clamped the flexible hoses and opened the bleed screws so the seals were not affected. Easy.
02 1.4 Brake pad change question. - Number_Cruncher
madf - there's a good way mentioned by 659 which avoids the need to clamp the pipes.

Open the bleed nipple, and then wedge the brake pedal down a bit with a piece of wood. This blocks the port in the master cylinder, preventing any back flow of fluid, without any risk of damaging the flexi by clamping it.