99 1.8 Power steering fluid leaking? - jp147
I have a 1999 Ford Focus 1.8 (petrol) which has covered 81k miles since new.

Because of the age of the car I occasionally take the car into a reputable garage so that they can raise it up and look underneath for any signs of leaks. Anyway this week I took it in and they had a look underneath and said there was some wetness from the power steering rack but that I should just keep an eye on the level in the fluid reservoir and that it didn't need repairing immediately. I think he was saying that to repair it would require a new steering rack.

A few years ago the power steering fluid cooler had to be replaced because it had suffered a crack probably due to driving over a road which had loose chippings/stones.

What would you do ?
99 1.8 Power steering fluid leaking? - L'escargot
What would you do ?

Just keep an eye on the fluid level until there is a significant drop. I don't suppose any deterioration will be rapid.
99 1.8 Power steering fluid leaking? - datostar
The whole power steering mechanism and rack gaiters etc. are an MOT test area. A strict tester may not be happy about any leak. It's a critical part of the vehicle and leaks only go one way - i.e. they don't cure themselves. By all means keep checking and topping up if necessary but possibly seek advice when it gets close to MOT time.
99 1.8 Power steering fluid leaking? - defender
you can get a steering fluid addative to help seal small leaks .
it works by softening the seals which go hard with age and softening them gives a bit more life out of them .it works on fine on leaks like what you are describing