Computer Related Questions-Volume 190 [Read Only] - Pugugly

***** This thread is now closed, please CLICK HERE to go to Volume 191 *****

In this thread you may ask any computer related question for which you need help, advice, suggestions or whatever.

Usual rules apply,

No motoring related discussion,
No politics,
No Speeding, speed cameras, traffic calming
No arguments or slanging matches
Nothing which we think is not following the spirit of the thread
Nothing that risks the future of this site (please see the small print for details www.honestjohn.co.uk/credits/index.htm )

Any of the above will be deleted. If the thread becomes difficult to maintain it will simply be removed.

There is a wealth of knowledge in here, much of which is not motoring related, but most of which is useful.

This is Volume 190. Previous Volumes will not be deleted.

A list of previous volumes can be found by clicking Here

PLEASE NOTE:

When posting a NEW question, please "Reply to" the first message in this thread, i.e. this one. This keeps each question in it's own separate segment and stops each new question from getting mixed up in amongst existing questions. Also please remember to change the subject header.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 30/07/2009 at 01:46

Virgin Media - Wales Tel Num? - BobbyG
I am having issues with my broadband and not having much success through their Indian Call Centre.

I believe they may used to (or hopefully still) have their broadband team in Wales - does anyone have a direct number for them by chance?
Virgin Media - Wales Tel Num? - Martin Devon

Will they be easier to understand then?

Edited by Pugugly on 22/07/2009 at 17:27

Believe me - most definitely!!
And I like the Welsh accent as well! :)
Virgin Media - Wales Tel Num? - Martin Devon
I was joking BG.
I know!!!
Virgin Media - Wales Tel Num? - rtj70
For the simple stuff, the Indian Call Centres work okay for Virgin Media. When they need to deviate from the script then it all goes wrong. I believe they are transferring call centres back to the UK and taking the broadband support back in house (it was outsourced mostly).

There is a way to get routed to the broadband team if the person talking to you is willing to help. But they often claim it is impossible - it is.

I think it's a bit luck of the drawer who you get through to for broadband support. I used to think you had more chance via the 150 number if you dialled in the day but I've got through to the UK support team in (Swansea?) late at night before now.

Might be a case of persevering. If it's a area fault it normally has an announcement and the website shows the status too.
Virgin Media - Wales Tel Num? - Altea Ego
you escalate.

You politley call mumbai, and you say "I have an issue, it has not been fixed and i wish to ESCALATE it to your supervisor" The agent will bluster and say something along the lines of " I am sure i can fix it let me help" be firm be polite and insist on the supervisor.

Once you have the supervisor, you do the same " I have a problem you have not been able to fix it i want to escalate it to Level 3 in the UK"

It works like this

The call centre has levels of support and management, and they are paid on resolving (sorry I mean completing) a % in house. To ensure locally they do this, support is in levels.
L1 is your first agent, they can only escalate up one level
L2 May be more technical or supervisor/team leader
There will be a call centre manager for that account, by pass him
L2 can can escalate to L3 - usually in the UK.

Virgin Media - Wales Tel Num? - bell boy
when i had a virgin media problem i just told them i wanted to cancel and i immediately got what i wanted,maybe this is the way to go ?
Firefox v Explorer - El Hacko
In recent weeks I've been unable to bring up Telegraph.co.uk via Firefox. Can only access the site via Windows Explorer. All my usual favourites are no prob with Firefox. Was wondering why a particular site might be suddenly be no-go.....
Firefox v Explorer - Stuartli
Fine in my case (Firefox 3.5.1).

"The Daily Telegraph" - extremely slow website. - FotheringtonThomas
Why is access to "The Daily Telegraph" online so very, very slow? It was unusable yesterday. Today, I have just upgraded to Firefox 3.5, and it's *still* unusable. Any ideas?
"The Daily Telegraph" - extremely slow website. - rtj70
It's fine for me so either your Internet connection (but all sites would likely be slow) or your PC?
I don't know. It was only the Telegraph that was slow. I have added a couple of very popular Firefox add-ons, and the problem seems to have gone away - in fact everything is a bit snappier now!
"The Daily Telegraph" - extremely slow website. - Clk Sec
>>I have added a couple of very popular Firefox add-ons, and the problem seems to have gone away- in fact everything is a bit snappier now!

Please share, FT!

Clk Sec
Clk Sec

If you want me to be specific, you'll have to ask a Mod. about e-mailing, which is OK by me. For a list of popular add-ons, feed this to your favourite search engine: firefox "recommended add-ons"
"The Daily Telegraph" - extremely slow website. - Stuartli
Mozilla's own listing is at:

addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/recommended
>>in fact everything is a bit snappier now!
>>Mozilla's own listing is at...

FT and Stuartli

This has had the same effect on mine, also. Thanks.

Clk Sec
You could also use Finetune Firefox, which saves messing about with about:config and doing it manually:

www.totalidea.com/product.php?Product=FireTune

An idea of the interface:

www.filesland.com/companies/Totalidea-Software-New...l

It's basically a couple of clicks of the mouse button to undertake.
>>You could also use Finetune Firefox,

Done. Thanks again, Stuart.

Clk Sec
"The Daily Telegraph" - extremely slow website. - Mapmaker
The Telegraph has been slow and unreadable since they upgraded the site about five years ago. I never bother.
The Telegraph has been slow and unreadable since they upgraded the site about five years
ago. I never bother. >>

With all due respects, that is nonsense.

I use the Telegraph website on a regular basis and it is as quick, if not quicker, than any of the others I visit and with easy to navigate and read pages.

I'm using Firefox 3.5.1 (the latest version), but I've had FF as my Default browser for several years.

Edited by Stuartli on 23/07/2009 at 12:17

"The Daily Telegraph" - extremely slow website. - bell boy
im with mapmaker
im with mapmaker>>

Then the problem presumably lies elsewhere rather than with your browser.

Telegraph page changes prove very quick for me.
"The Daily Telegraph" - extremely slow website. - Optimist
Yep, I find the Telegraph site fast and easy to use.

"The Daily Telegraph" - extremely slow website. - pmh3
Works ok and fast from France albeit on a 512 k Broadband connection only!
"The Daily Telegraph" - extremely slow website. - Dipstick
Yes, agreed - just tried it and the site is as swift as you like. So those experiencing speed issues probably need to shift the blame elsewhere or check their configuration.
hose experiencing speed issues probably need to shift the blame elsewhere
or check their configuration.

It is something to do with the DT's site in the last few days. I am currently on a fast link. No config. changes or installs. The site was OK, then not OK - i.e. access to the main site takes ages before the page displays, and clicking links from that page resulted in a long wait before the next page displayed. This morning, I upgraded to FF 3.5.1. The issue was still there. I installed add-ons. It's OK now (in fact, very good!).
>>I installed add-ons.>>

I don't use any Firefox add-ons, only extensions such as IETab and the British Dictionary..:-)

Edited by Stuartli on 23/07/2009 at 13:53

"The Daily Telegraph" - extremely slow website. - perro
I've been unable to access the Telegraph all morning so I just waited and eventually it came up with this ~

This error message may occur for a number of reasons:We are unable to locate any more files relating to this subject
The file may have been moved or deleted because it is out of date
You may have followed a link from another web site that contains an incorrect or out of date URL (web page address)
You may have typed an incorrect URL into your browser
There may be an error on the telegraph.co.uk site.

When I then clicked on the telegraph url above - it opened immediately so I've now reset it in my favorites.
I've always used telegraph.co.uk as the Universal Resource Locator (URL) - as the message indicated you might have had an out of date or small typing error and it's taken time for it to be corrected before the connection was made.
Thank's Stuart , I don't suppose there is any way I can insert the new url in the same slot as the old one on my favorites column?
Yes. You can drag and drop it to where you want it to appear (Firefox).

If you right click on the Firefox Bookmarks, a menu will appear with several options which may also be of use.

PS

Just been trying drag and drop in IE's Favourites - works in similar fashion.

Edited by Stuartli on 25/07/2009 at 19:14

Amazing! I've been 'struggling' with sites being all over the place *for years*

Thank's Stuart.
Why not organise them from Bookmarks>Organise Bookmarks or Ctrl+Shift+B?
Is that just for firefox Stuart? I'm using I.E
No, you can also organise Favourites in IE from Favourites>Organise Favourites.

As with all Microsoft programs and applications, there is a comprehensive and well written Help section for Internet Explorer.

In this case, press F1 or go to Help>Favourites>key in Favourites in the Index>click on Display button>click on the last line of the menu that will appear>Display

Favourites and Bookmarks mean the same thing.

Ah! I see now (*_*) I'll have a play with Help & F1 ~ Ray.
'AutoIt' software - borasport20
anybody here in the backroom familiar with it ?

I have a repetitive task to carry out in windows, and i beleive with AutoIt there is some way of capturing the process (as you might for a macro in Excel) putting it in a script and letting it do the processing for you, but as usual, I can't follow the help files

can anybody confirm ?

'AutoIt' software - rtj70
I have used AutoIt. It is a scripting language with the added feature of allowing you to capture actions and create such scripts. Not all actions are easily scriptable if they need applying to other data/files.

What exactly are you trying to achieve - i.e. what process are you trying to automate.

BTW you'd love Automator on Mac OS X - now that is powerful and pretty easy to use. You could in seconds create a script that resizes all photos in a folder when you drag it onto the compiled script/program.
'AutoIt' software - borasport20
Rob

this is what I have to do -

select an item from menubar
open a drop-down list
select the top item
click a 'process' button
click a 'confirm' button
click an 'ok' button
repeat from start

I need to do it for 500+ items, and it takes ca. 30 seconds an item, so I'd like to automate the process and leave it overnight - do you thin I can do this with AutoIt ?

I hoped i could just install autoit, open a script, turn on some sort of screen capture, do the process above, capture and paste it to autoit, save the script and Hey presto, it would do the other 499 for me !
'AutoIt' software - rtj70
AutoIT would automate this type of process but the selecting item bit would likely need some programming within the AutoIT language. You don't click on the same item each time so something needs to handle selecting the 500 items in turn and then looping around again.

What is the process itself though. Maybe there's another way of doing it.
Monitor with stuck pixel - maz64
Colleague just bought a nice 20" LCD monitor, turned it on, and discovered a stuck pixel (blue) right in the middle of the screen. He said he was going to return it, then I pointed out that there's an ISO standard which states that one pixel isn't enough to justify a return/refund.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_13406-2

Sure enough when he rang up the supplier, they said they couldn't do anything, and the monitor company (iiyama) also state on their website that they go by the ISO standard.

Now I appreciate that legally he might not have a case, but if I was in his position I'd be gutted. Assuming he can't fix it by the screen-rubbing methods, and it doesn't fix itself, are there any other options he can pursue?

Obviously with hindsight he should have found a company that offers a guarantee of no duff pixels and paid the premium, but unless you know about the ISO standard I think it's not unreasonable to assume that a new screen won't have any duff pixels at all. I haven't seen any big warnings in monitor adverts.
Monitor with stuck pixel - Altea Ego
Not much he can do, he is stuck with his stuck pixel. they are getting rare these days, and sometimes go after its warmed up for a while or "exercised".

As you say, if its an expensive big screen, buy from someone who does a dead pixel check and guarantee.
Monitor with stuck pixel - Stuartli
I'm a bit surprised at iiyama, usually it's a company that treats customers very well.

Have a look at:

www.jscreenfix.com/

tinyurl.com/od9sew

lifehacker.com/152062/fix-your-lcds-dead-pixels

There are many other similar solutions.
Monitor with stuck pixel - maz64
Have a look at:

Thanks - I'll pass those on. I'll find out if they worked when I get back from holiday.
I'm a bit surprised at iiyama usually it's a company that treats customers very well.

They clearly state that they use class 2 panels to ISO13406-2 standards and then describe the number of allowed full pixel and sub pixel defects.

Monitor with stuck pixel - bell boy
For the record i wasnt aware you could buy a new screen and it has a pixel fault and you are stuck with it
So maybe its a heads up for everyone that isnt into computers
Monitor with stuck pixel - rtj70
There are monitors that use higher class panels that means if there are stuck pixels you can get them swapped. But they will cost more. As usual you get what you pay for.
Monitor with stuck pixel - bell boy
I just assumed they all worked as perfect though,i know pixels go in the life of a machine but i would have thought faulty ones would be scrapped and end up on some dodgy market stall where the bloke also had a stash of watches on the inside of his raincoat?

Those with no defects are sold as class1 panels, for a premium.

Its trather the same with CPU's

All CPUs of a certain type all come from the same "dies" and tested. Good ones are marked and sold at a premuim, average ones are marked and sold as lower speed ones.
Monitor with stuck pixel - Rattle
It is quite a bit more complicated than that but yes that does happen. Its mainly that there may be a fault in say some of the L2 cache so they just disable and sell it as a celeron.

I've bought many LCDs and regasrdless of the make its very very rare to get dead pixels.
Pop Ups. - jc2
I've just started getting pop-ups on this site-even with a blocker on.What's happening??
Pop Ups. - gordonbennet
I'm not getting the pop ups, but it's really slow today, presumably while my blocker deals with them.
Had to close and reopen at one point, also keep getting timed out, that hasn't happened for weeks.
BB speed, effect of filter? - nick
I used to get around 2Mbps out in the sticks through a BT BB master socket with built-in filter. We had a major electrical storm last week which took out the phone line and fried the master socket. Luckily I had unplugged everything. Nice Mr BT engineer unfortunately didn't have a master socket with a built-in filter so fitted a normal one and the PC is now plugged in using a filter. BB speed is now 1.5Mbps at best. Could this be down to the filter or something else? Nothing else my end has changed. Losing 0.5Mbps makes a big difference at such low speeds so I'm keen to get it back if I can. Any ideas?
BB speed, effect of filter? - JH
Nick,
you mean something like the XTE-2005I from tinyurl.com/k8yrm ?

That would certainly make a difference, but why should you have to pay? Nag BT. Or it may be if you're patient the line speed readjusts over a few days (technical term for it, can't think of it at the moment). I don't rate your chances with BT to be honest, I gave up on them, but it's worth a shot before spending your own money.

JH
BB speed, effect of filter? - Stuartli
My TalkTalk broadband service, which normally averages around 6.5Mb to 7.3Mb, took a dip recently to about 5Mb or a bit more.

Tried all the usual remedies without any success so decided to try swapping the Master Socket's ADSL filter, which was about three years old. I had a spare one that came with a TalkTalk Speedtouch 330 USB modem when I first joined in early 2006 and that did the trick, bringing back the normal speeds.

These links may help you with regard to the initial settling in period and troubleshooting:

tinyurl.com/krbvok

www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/lowSNR.htm

I'm on LLU and I never switch my modem router off unless for a specific reboot.

Edited by Stuartli on 27/07/2009 at 20:26

BB speed, effect of filter? - Altea Ego
Cheap nasty filters cause all sorts of problems, Internal or external, always buy the best you can afford.
BB speed, effect of filter? - jbif
AFAIK, the filter works on the speech part of the signal.
The adsl signal goes through unfiltered.

You can apparently increase speeds depending on the master socket:
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?v=e&t=67...5

BB speed, effect of filter? - Stuartli
The i-Plate is of little or no value in the case of:

Where there is already an SSFP (Service Specific Front Plate) installed, thus separating the broadband and telephone signals

Where the socket is a newly installed BT Openreach socket (with BT Openreach Logo)

Where the line is newly installed, without the bell ringer wire included

The ADSL filter I had originally was a quality product as is the replacement - perhaps the fact that my modem router is never switched off might have had a part to play?
BB speed, effect of filter? - nick
Thanks for all the help folks. My master socket is a new Openreach socket so the i-Plate is of no use, nor will the XTE20051 fit. Perhaps I should try a quality filter, like the XF1e from the same place. But do I need a filter on the master socket? The phone is plugged (with a filter) into a slave socket which is hard-wired into the master, all I have plugged directly into the master front plate is the DSL line to the modem via a filter as the DSL plug won't fit the phone socket. Is there an adapter available to plug the DSL line direct without the filter, assuming that it's the phone that needs the filter, not the modem?
Some of the links above suggest a router will help, especially the Netgear DE834 v3. Is that likely? Are they easy to connect? I don't need wireless.
Coincidentally, not long ago, I took down some stats from the modem and have compared them to what I have now:

Before: SNR margin, local 21.5, remote 10.5, attenuation local 54, remote 31.5.
After: SNR margin, local 16, remote 7.5, attenuation local 56, remote 31.5.

From my understanding, low SNR margin is bad and it's down from what it was before. Could the filter cause this or is it to do with the line to the exchange? The lightning strike was bad, it blew every junction box and fuse between my house and the exchange 2.5 miles away.

My experiences with BT are not good. The guys who come out seem ok, but getting them to come takes the patience of a saint. They don't seem keen if things are working even poorly so I'm keen to try anything!

Thanks again.

Windows 7 pricing - audiA6tdi
I checked on PC world last week and they had windows 7 for £49 pre order as did many other outlets. Now the price has gone up to £79.
I thought there was a big hoo ha how the UK market was being over charged at £49 compared to the US market getting it cheaper?

I was going to buy but if the price keeps going up I wont bother!

Has anyone else seen it for £49?
Windows 7 pricing - jbif
Has anyone else seen it for £49? >>

Too late. All world stocks at preorder prices sold out.

www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=windows+7+sold+out...=

www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=expired+windows+7+...=

Windows 7 pricing - bell boy
who wants it anyway when you can get a linux mint cd for 5 squid
Windows 7 pricing - audiA6tdi
will everything work such as MS office on linux? Is it a viable option to windows?
Windows 7 pricing - Rattle
No but you can use Open Office.

Personaly I find Linux is a bit of faff as I like Photoshop too much (yes I know it can run under Wine etc but its more faff). However I am sure some of my customers would be much better of with Linux.
Windows 7 pricing - rtj70
Your customers might also like Mac OS X as might you Rattle ;-) Okay the hardware is more expensive but some of the applications you get with Mac OS X (the iLife 09 ones) are pretty good.

And I used to think Photoshop was important but all I needed it for can be done a lot cheaper on Pixelmator on a Mac for about £38.

I too looked at a link for Windows 7 the other day - it had jumped to £79. But I also got an email from Microsoft about the offer and they hoped I was one of the lucky ones to take advantage of the offer - so I took from that it had ended.
Windows 7 pricing - Stuartli
I got an E-mail from Dabs a few days ago offering Windows7 at the pre-order price.

I then went to its website and discovered it had nil stock levels...:-)
Opening a webpage from a link - L'escargot
When I open a webpage from a link, it opens in part-screen size and I have to "maximise" it to get full-screen size. It didn't used to do this. What causes this to happen and can I correct the default mode to full-screen size? If it's of any relevance, I've recently upgraded IE to version 8.

Edited by L'escargot on 28/07/2009 at 08:39

Opening a webpage from a link - Clk Sec
As someone else from the L'escargot school of computing, ditto...

Clk Sec :-)
Opening a webpage from a link - jbif
webpage from a link, it opens in part-screen size and I have to "maximise" it to get full-screen size >>

see:
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?v=e&t=73...2

Opening a webpage from a link - L'escargot
Thanks, jbif. I carried out the Elder Geek instructions and so far so good.

Edited by L'escargot on 28/07/2009 at 17:21

Computer not "waking up" - maltrap
When i leave my computer for about an hour it doesn't "wake up" when i touch the keypad, i have to re-boot it via the reset button. Any help would be much appreciated. P.S. My computer skills are limited. Many Thanks.
Computer not "waking up" - rtj70
This sounds like a problem with the computer going into a low power sleep mode and not waking up properly.

I could assume you're running Windows XP but you could be running Vista, a flavour of Linux, Mac OS X or even Solaris....

... but if Windows, go to Control Panel and check the power settings. Try disabling sleep for now and see if the problem goes away. It could be the software needed for a device has been updated via Windows Update and now does not deal with going to sleep properly.

Has this only recently started happening?
Thanks rtj, i,ve got on to the monitor settings and clicked on "never" for the switch off monitor settings. I do have Windows XP. This has only started recently, it coincided with another problem, the background keeps going to a black screen, i reload it but it goes again after a couple of hours. Thanks again.
Computer not "waking up" - jbif
the background keeps going to a black screen, i reload it but it goes again after a couple of hours. >>

maltrap:
Looks like you may be in a Microsoft trap - possibly because you are a victim of malpractice by someone who installed the XP software on your computer.
answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=2008111012585...l

Thanks jbif, i think you're right. I bought the computer a couple of years ago, second hand. I,m off to buy a new one!
Cylinders on cables - RobertyBob
What are the plastic cylinders (about 25mm long & 10mm dia.) clamped to USB cables, power cables etc. for?

Edited by RobertyBob on 28/07/2009 at 17:59

Cylinders on cables - VR6
They are there to reduce interference from RF. Not sure if they reduce interference coming FROM the cable or potentially going INTO the cable from other sources.
Cylinders on cables - Rattle
Its to stop them going into the cable. If any RF descructs the data then it has to be restransmitted which slows things down.
Restoring £ Sign On Samsung Laptop - Robbie
A friend of mine has lost the pound sign on his Samsung laptop, and now gets the hash sign instead #. How can he restore it?

Thanks.

{Moves to correct place as it's a new question and doesn't follow on from the cylinders of cables question. The "Please Note" message at the start of this thread explains this}

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 28/07/2009 at 20:34

Restoring £ Sign On Samsung Laptop - Stuartli
Check from Start>Settings>Control Panel>Regional and Language Options that Englsih UK is selected from the drop down menu in the Regional and Advanced tabs.

It or they may have inadvertently been altered; you will probably need to Reboot for the change(s) to take place.

Edited by Stuartli on 28/07/2009 at 19:52

Broadband line speed - L'escargot
Following changes at our local telephone exchange, my line speed was recently upgraded to a theoretical maximum of 8 Mbps. On the first day my computer indicated that I was actually getting 6.8 Mbps. Now, however, it's down to 4.7 Mbps. Is this the sort of variation I should expect?
Broadband line speed - malteser
Just be grateful you are getting as much as you are!
The weasel words are always "up to"; the ISP's "get out of jail free" card.
Here in Spain I have "upgraded" to 10 MB ADSL. I am lucky if I get more than 3MB download in the real world and on occasions it's been as little as .25MB. The absolute best I have seen on test is 6.75MB
For this I pay 45 euros + VAT @16% per month. :(
Strangely enough, if I test with Telefonica's own speed test, (using their DNS servers) it always reads better than if I use www.speedtest.net - I wonder why!!!!!

snip

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 29/07/2009 at 11:35

Broadband line speed - Altea Ego
Following changes at our local telephone exchange my line speed was recently upgraded to a
theoretical maximum of 8 Mbps. On the first day my computer indicated that I was
actually getting 6.8 Mbps. Now however it's down to 4.7 Mbps. Is this the sort
of variation I should expect?

yes this is all perfectly normal. Your maximum will not be the full 8 meg, this is under perfect line conditions very close to the exchange. 6-7 meg is reasonable (and what I get)

your 4.7Meg, is a variable reading and depends on time of day, and how many users are on your ADSL link. Its not wholly yours, you share it with up to 50 other people.
Broadband line speed - rtj70
I'm lucky I have Virgin Media's broadband and the UBR I connect to is not that busy. So I do get the full 10Mbps I pay for. For a short time I upgraded to 20Mbps and I got that too but it's a lot of money to pay for.

Then again so is £25 for 10Mbps but I do get a fast reliable service. I remember when I first got broadband in 2000 that the same money got me 512Kbps and I thought that was fast!

When BT have fibre optic cables to street level cabinets then we can all get faster Internet access. This use of fibre optic is why the cable companies got into so much debt but it's reasonably future proof.
Broadband line speed - perro
I pay £5.99 per month for 'up to' 8mb, but when I check it here ~ www.broadbandspeedchecker.co.uk/ it usually shows about 2mb, which is ok for my use.
Broadband line speed - Stuartli
My "free" TalkTalk broadband connection (LLU) ranges between 6.5Mb and 7.3Mb - the AnyTime Global package cost of £9.99 includes AnyTime UK and international phone calls to 36 different countries (I also pay line rental to TT rather than BT, although the latter is still responsible for the line from the exchange to my property).

Up to April 2006 I used to pay £14.99 a month just for a 1Mb, then later 2Mb, BB connection with Tiscali...:-)

Edited by Stuartli on 29/07/2009 at 12:44

Broadband line speed - perro
TT is part of CPW who also own a certain America on line ISP.
I was cold called by said ISP and pursuaded to change ISP's but the order couldn't proceed as I (at the time) payed for my line rental to a utility supplier.
The trouble I have had in the last 9 months because of this - you would not believe!
There is a term for this on the ww known as slamming.
Broadband line speed - csgmart
Following changes at our local telephone exchange my line speed was recently upgraded to a
theoretical maximum of 8 Mbps. On the first day my computer indicated that I was
actually getting 6.8 Mbps. Now however it's down to 4.7 Mbps. Is this the sort
of variation I should expect?

Yes, many ISP's perform 'traffic shaping'. basically the more demand there is on the line the less each person gets. It's a way of making a fixed 'asset' go between a greater number of people when demand is high.

I have no connection with them but www.bethere.co.uk offer a 24meg service from a standard BT line for £17.50 per month. They cover about 80% of the uk and do not traffic shape or throttle the connection.
>>Yes, many ISP's perform 'traffic shaping'.>>

You are presumably referring to the contention ration - most popular ISPs work on a 50:1 contention ratio so, as you say, the more on-line the less the piece of cake available individually.

However, even though my TalkTalk LLU service is provided from a very busy local exchange in terms of business and residential phone lines, my connection speeds are consistently between 6.5Mb and 7.3Mb.

That's more than fast enough for my purposes and certainly somewhat quicker than the 9.6kbps delivered by the first modem I ever used, housed in a Tandy 200 that I still have ...:-)

Edited by Stuartli on 29/07/2009 at 23:22

Broadband line speed - Altea Ego
I have told you before Stuartli, that was worlds away from my 300 BAUD (yes no k's just 300 of them) modem.
Was the modem the type that you placed the telephone handset into two rubber cups (as with the Tandy)?
Broadband line speed - rtj70
Traffic shaping is more to do with slowing down particular traffic for users that use a lot of bandwidth. If you hit the limit for particular IP protocols you get slowed down - period. So for general surfing etc you will be fine. If you download a lot of say movies via Bit Torrent (thus effecting users sharing your connection) you get penalised.

I am happy with that. And sometimes (due to downloads of DVD ISO images for work) I get slowed down. But it's still faster than some on here seem to get ;-)
Can I Use SDHC Memory Cards? - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}
My Skoda currently has an SD card (2Gb) reader in the sound system on which I've got ~35 albums ; I have been told it will also accept much larger capacity (16Gb) SDHC cards. That would mean I could copy several hundred CDs for my own use, via Windows Player. How do I check if my home PC can process SDHC cards, without actually trying one first?
Can I Use SDHC Memory Cards? - Stuartli
On a computer system you either have to have a device that is compatible with them or have XP SP3 installed (there is a HotFix to allow use of SDHC cards with some older memory card reader/writers).

This link may be of interest:

tinyurl.com/2vhdow

which also details a Vista alternative.
Can I Use SDHC Memory Cards? - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}
I've got XP SP3 so will try an SDHC card now.
Thanks.
How to create a bootable CD-Rom - csgmart
I have an old dos based program that I want to run on my XP home system. Previously I used to create a bootable floppy disk and boot up using that and then run the program from a batch file. I no longer have a floppy disk drive so I was thinking about creating a boot up disk but on a CD rom instead.

Is this possible and if so how does one do this?

No, I don't think the program will run from the cmd prompt hence the need to boot up in dos not windows.
How to create a bootable CD-Rom - jbif
How to create a bootable CD-Rom >>

;-) Try this:
tinyurl.com/kqzcx9
:-)

Edited by jbif on 29/07/2009 at 22:13

Very good. I did that before I posted here but I wasn't sure if the information presented to me was correct or what I actually needed hence the request posted here.
How to create a bootable CD-Rom - rtj70
Can the program not run on XP? You can run older programs in compatability mode but that may not work, especially if it uses old DOS style extended memory etc

You could probably copy the DOS image from floppy to hard disk to use something like VMWARE but that is not free... could you not use a newer non-DOS version of the application?
Can the program not run on XP? You can run older programs in compatability mode.....

SQ

I tried running under XP and the program was very s.....l.......o.......w

It'a actually an old game. A pinball classic 8 ball deluxe. It does work but it's incredibly slow. A shame as the game is really good otherwise.

You can download the game from here www.abandonia.com/en/downloadgame/866

If you manage to get it working at a normal speed please do let me know.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 30/07/2009 at 01:44

How to create a bootable CD-Rom - Stuartli
Have you tried the pinball game in XP?
Have you tried the pinball game in XP?

Yes, it was s......l.....o......w...

I actually found something called dosbox that did the job however the sound does not work so I'm halfway there. Thanks anyway.