94 1.3 Starter Motor Issue - thomp1983
Hi, sisters boyfriend turned up at our house the other day in his rx7 which was exhibiting a high pitched squeal when running, after a bit of quick searching it was the starter motor that had stuck on. the car was left for awhile due to rain, after i removed the starter motor and inspected it, the gear teeth showed clear signs of having been stuck on, i gave the motor a blow out with compressed air, checked all the terminals were clean and refitted the unit. when he went to start the car the starter motor started turning over when the key was in the second position not the start position.

ive stripped down the starter motor solenoid and all looks fine there, ive also removed and looked over the ignition switch and again nothing seems out of place there. ive also found if i remove the small terminal that carries the feed from the ignition switch to the starter motor, put the ignition too position two and then short out the permanent live feed to the ignition feed lug at the starter motor the engine starts properly, but the solenoid stays stuck on.

ive looked over various wiring diagrams for the car and can't see anything which may cause the problem so wondered if anybody had any ideas? failing any suggestions im going to have to spend the rest of the week tracing the ignition wiring back from the starter motor to the ignition switch to see if i can find any sort of short.

cheers
chris
94 1.3 Starter Motor Issue - Peter.N.
Sounds as though you have two seperate faults here, firstly there should be no voltage on the solonoid energising connection on the first ignition switch position, so there appears to be a short in the wiring somewhere. If the starter remains engaged with the solonoid lead disconnected, there has to be a fault in the solonoid, could be there is a short form the main 12v feed to the solonoid connection, this may have resulted from the heat generated by the starter being continually engaged.