99 2.0 Jerks on acceleration - emma1977
Hi All,
Wondered if anyone could help. My Focus jerks when I press the accelerator in most gear's intermittently, especially if I try to accelerate hard. It's almost like there's a lag between you putting your foot down and the car accelerating. It has recently had a full service so I thought that might cure it but no such luck. My mate said his Focus did the same thing until he put Redex in it, then it was fine.

Don't know if its related but the car also doesn't start first time on the odd occasion. If this happens, I just turn the key again and it works second time.

Does anyone have any ideas on what this could be and whether Redex will help or hinder?

Thanks,
Emma
99 2.0 Jerks on acceleration - Javalin
Petrol or diesel?

In the absence (and assuming Petrol) of any other information I'd stab at an ignition misfire, but could be fuel supply related, or even a sensor given that it sometimes doesn't start first time.

Redex shouldn't do any harm.

James
99 2.0 Jerks on acceleration - emma1977
Oops, sorry. Forgot to say it's petrol.
99 2.0 Jerks on acceleration - clewsy01
yes try redex first, wont do anyharm. if not i would start by looking at the fuel pressure regualtor at the top of the fuel rail.
99 2.0 Jerks on acceleration - Statia
Weak spark? Have you checked the plugs are in good condition? I don't personally rate full service unless I do it myself. They may well have slipped with the oil when they were filling it up and some's contaminated the plugs.

Remember that anything that is complex consists of many simple elements. You need fuel, air and spark for an engine to run. Check the basics first.

Edited by Statia on 16/07/2009 at 17:01