Renault Clio alternator - cymro
Following a service at 15000 miles my dealer says that I have to have a new alternator fitted as the drive belt is shredded. A Renault service bulletin states that if the belt is shredded then a new alternator has to be fitted. When asked why a new alternator is needed the only answer I get is, "the alternator is miss aligned". Renault are prepared to pay %40 of the cost of the part. As the car is only 2 1/2 years old and it has only done 15000 miles I feel a little miffed. Has any one else had similar problems the car has a 1400cc 16v engine and was registered in 2000

Hwyl
Renault Clio alternator - Godfrey H {P}
Strictly speaking you are entitled to a new alternator FOC if there was a manufacturing defect in the original. This is down to the six year "durability" clause in the Sale of Goods Act. Your contract is with the supplying dealer not Renault. Try asking them to cough up the other 60%. You may have a fight on your hands to get what you are entitled to though.
Renault Clio alternator - Godfrey H {P}
Addendum - I am assuming you purchased the car from new. If not the position is different and 40% may well be good offer. Sad replying to my own posts!
Renault Clio alternator - Keith S
A few options perhaps.

1) Fit a non dealer part (might be just as bad though)

2) How long are you going to keep the car? If the belt lasts 15,000 and does not power the water pump or anything important then just change the belt. How many aftermarket belts would equal 60% of the alternator?

3) Argue like mad, kick up a fuss by writing to the MD of the dealer where you ought it and the MD of Renault UK .

Sounds like a munufacturing defect which it is unfair for you to have to pay for, regardless of the law.
Renault Clio alternator - AndyT
Have a look at the following link, it sounds much like the same problem. Is your alternator fitted with a gold pulley?

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?v=i&t=69...5
Renault Clio alternator - cymro
Thank you all for your help
Just for the record. The pulley is silver in colour not gold as the 1.9 diesel iffy pulley. I have payed £250.00 to the dealer and am now having talks with Renault UK. Wish me luck