90 300 key sticking problem.(auto) - robdub
I test drove a 300te estate, superb except for 1 thing. The key sticks in the ignition. when u want to take the key out, you have to move the gear stick very slightly to release it! it might be something or nothing. Any thoughts on this appreciated. It a clean car with a full service history and looks cared for (100k miles)

Thanks

Edited by Pugugly on 07/07/2009 at 20:21

90 300 key sticking problem.(auto) - elekie&a/c doctor
The gearshift/park ignition switch interlock is done by a bowden cable system.It may need a small adjustment or the cable may have stretched.Not a big issue on these.hth
90 300 key sticking problem.(auto) - colino
These commonly suffer from "sticky key" meaning a replacement ignition barrel needed soon.

Do it before the key sticks in the barrel or it becomes impossible to get the steering lock off.
90 300 key sticking problem.(auto) - madf
I had this problem in 1991 in a 260E. The ignition barrel broke!. New one required.

Seems to be a common issue...
90 300 key sticking problem.(auto) - Roger Jones
I recently had a key problem in my W126. Suffice it to say that my mechanic turned up on my doorstep after several hours of hard work . . . with the steering column in his hand and the ignition barrel still attached to it. After just one or two starts that needed some key jiggling, it failed, and finally the key broke in the lock after further jiggling by my mechanic but no abuse. In total he had to spend more than a working day on the job; you can imagine what the bill was. If you catch it in time and don't break the key, it's more straightforward if still a bit tricky to replace the barrel.

So, I'd say to anyone experiencing the slightest ignition-key problem in an MB of that generation that it will fail very quickly and should be tackled before it does. At least the parts aren't that expensive, even though MB has doubled its key prices recently; pity those with clever-dicky electronics keys at £200+ to replace.