99 1.6 Misfire - timby
Focus 1999 1.6L started to misfire during a long run, noticed it was sounding rough but first thought that the Exhaust was going (this may still be the case but there is a definite misfire) .
I think that I may also have later over-revved it too.

What is the worst case scenario? I don't want to spend too much on an old Car.

99 1.6 Misfire - cphardcastle
It wouldn't be possible to diagnose the exact cause of your misfire without experiencing the problem or knowing how well the car has been looked after.

The engine should have a rev limiter so it shouldn't be possible to over-rev it, although taking it to the red line too often won't help its longevity.

Not spending on a car is a false economy (to a point, obviously) - a couple hundred quid on an older car is still cheaper than purchasing something newer, which would need servicing to its own schedule anyway. Most problems are due to lack of spending on maintenance and servicing and could probably be avoided by regular servicing.
99 1.6 Misfire - timby
I haven't had the Focus long but it has only done 60000, I knew the previous owner and I think it has been well looked after.

I don't now think that I have over revved it, I see in the hand book that Max. revs are 6500, I wasn't up that high.
I guess that the Cat. is now bust too as I did a long motorway run home.

No warning lights came up.

99 1.6 Misfire - bell boy
have its bumps read on a code reader soonest before you do plenty of damage
these cars dont always put the eml on or you might miss it but the code is stored