Computer Related Questions-Volume 188 [Read Only] - Dynamic Dave

***** This thread is now closed, please CLICK HERE to go to Volume 189 *****

In this thread you may ask any computer related question for which you need help, advice, suggestions or whatever.

Usual rules apply,

No motoring related discussion,
No politics,
No Speeding, speed cameras, traffic calming
No arguments or slanging matches
Nothing which we think is not following the spirit of the thread
Nothing that risks the future of this site (please see the small print for details www.honestjohn.co.uk/credits/index.htm )

Any of the above will be deleted. If the thread becomes difficult to maintain it will simply be removed.

There is a wealth of knowledge in here, much of which is not motoring related, but most of which is useful.

This is Volume 188. Previous Volumes will not be deleted.

A list of previous volumes can be found by clicking Here

PLEASE NOTE:

When posting a NEW question, please "Reply to" the first message in this thread, i.e. this one. This keeps each question in it's own separate segment and stops each new question from getting mixed up in amongst existing questions. Also please remember to change the subject header.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 17/07/2009 at 15:57

Login not retained - bintang
Some sites, such as HJ, reliably retain my login details. Others have started requiring me to log in every time I try to open them, in spite of my repeatedly ticking the "remember my details box" and getting a note that they will. I can't think of any changes I have made that might affect this. Any suggestions to remedy the problem gratefully received.
Login not retained - JH
b
I find that happens from time to time and, on occasion there is a cause which can be fixed (you have the latest version of CC?), but usually it's just one of those things which, if you ignore it, it goes away.

Not terribly practical or helpful I realise but sometimes it's the best answer! Hopefully someone will be along in a minute with some more positive advice!

JH
Login not retained - Victorbox
If you use Internet Explorer 8 it now retains cookies etc for any site listed in your Favourites list even if you clean out old cookies etc. If you are using CCleaner you need to add cookies from sites you wish kept under Option > Cookies
Thanks for the above but I have IE8 and the latest version of CC and the problem persists.
Login not retained - jbif
Others have started requiring me to log in every time >>

Are these secure "https" and/or plain "http" sites?

Are you using the IE8 private browsing function?

Some https but not all https sites affected. I don't know what this function is or where to find it but will look.
Login not retained - jbif
IE8 privacy settings:

www.microsoft.com/windows/internet-explorer/privac...x

Overheating problem? - loonykev
Overheating problem? on Sony VAIO VGN-FZ21M. This laptop which I bought in December 2007 seems to be running hot (very, in this hot spell!), it is too hot to touch, the fan is running constantly. It has been like this for sometime, but recently the fan seems to be spinning faster. Is this a problem to be concerned about, would closing some applications help, or should I return it to the shop for checking before the warranty runs out in December? Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 03/07/2009 at 22:41

Overheating problem? - Stuartli
Have you checked that the fan's air through flow is not blocked with dust?

You have to remember that in the current very hot weather, the laptop's fan will be trying to cool down ambient air temperature that is already much warmer than average.

By their very nature, laptops are somewhat cramped internally and modern CPUs get pretty hot in any case.
Overheating problem? - loonykev
Hi, thanks for that, I've taken a paint brush to the air inlet and outlet, but there is no obvious dust. I'm reluctant to use tools on computers and watches! Am I likely to do any damage by taking off the bottom cover to look further for dust? This laptop seems to run much hotter than other people's, and I was wondering if there is a potential fire hazard. Overnight and when I go out, I put it into hibernation mode, but otherwise it is running continuously.
IE 8 Pop-up Blocker - L'escargot
I've just installed IE 8 and discovered that the default setting of the Pop-up Blocker allows a site called *.hiptrack.co.uk

Should I leave that as it is or should I delete it from the allowed sites list? What is it anyway?
IE 8 Pop-up Blocker - Stuartli
Do you, like me, bank on-line with the Halifax?

Initially hiptrack.co.uk leads to a Halifax Home Information Pack tracking page - checking out the Halifax website comes up with this information:

tinyurl.com/l2q9x4
IE 8 Pop-up Blocker - L'escargot
Do you like me bank on-line with the Halifax?

I do. Thanks Stuartli.
Firefox navigation - mike hannon
A couple of days ago I let my friend check his email etc on my Mac, running Firefox 3. Ever since then the buttons at the top of the screen that allow me to go forwards or backwards through pages I have visited have stopped working, and when I click on the history button on the toolbar the list is always blank.
I've been through all the settings on Mac and Firefox preferences and can't find anything that makes it work again. The Safari version of the same thing works OK but I don't like using Safari much.
Maybe he did something while doing internet banking - he is a Mac veteran (in fact this machine was once his!) - that hid the site he had been looking at?
He's gone away for a while again and it's a pain to be without this simple little thing. Any ideas anyone?
Firefox navigation - bell boy
left click the view button
scroll to the first link
which is toolbars
hover across to the right
tick the box navigation toolbar
Sorry bb, I tried it and the navigation toolbar is already ticked - I tried re-ticking it but nothing happened.
I can see the forward and back buttons as normal but they are just greyed out.
Thanks anyway. :-)
Firefox navigation - jbif
running Firefox 3. Ever since then the buttons at the top of the screen that allow me to go forwards or backwards through pages I have visited have stopped working, and when I click on the history button on the toolbar the list is always blank. >>

I bet you have the new Firefox 3.5 (released a few days ago)

I bet that your friend has enabled "in Private" browsing (tools>options>privacy tab>automatically start in private etc, ).

Sadly, no. :-(
It's Firefox 3.0.11 without those options.
I haven't updated it because Firefox 3 wasn't as good as the Firefox 2 that was on here before.
I'll try and see if there is some sort of private browsing option on here already that I've missed.
Firefox navigation - ifithelps
Mike,

Not a direct answer to your question, and Mac fans on here will probably disagree, but I still reckon you are pushing water up hill trying to use an older Apple computer on the internet.

The fact you seem to have had one or two problems seems to bear that out.

Would the job run to a new PC?

Both my laptop and my EeePC have run pretty much faultlessly over the last year or so, apart from when I drowned the first laptop, but that was clearly my fault.

I think most people on here would say that a reasonably recent laptop or PC would give reliable service.

Or even a new Mac, but they're a lot of money.
Firefox navigation - rtj70
Mike

What version of Mac OS X are you running? What Mac is this actually on?

Initial ideas to try:

- Login in as a different user to see if the problem still exists for that user
- Uninstall and then re-install Firefox 3.0.11 (if you have the install files)
- Try Firefox 3.5

Instead of clogging up this forum you could also try emailing me at my mod account to see if I can help.

Edited by rtj70 on 07/07/2009 at 11:58

Instead of clogging up this forum you could also try emailing me ... >>

and thereby
1. deny the rest of us the chance to see the solution
2. deny HJ some increased click counts
jbif, what I would then do would be to post the solution that worked instead of a long list of try this and try that. Which would be more useful.

Of course I don't know how many Mac users or general computer literate people might be able to suggest some good ideas.

I think my first suggestion of trying another user on the same system makes most sense to rule out some simple things.
jbif, what I would then do >>

Sorry, rtj, I left out a smiley.
I think my first suggestion of trying another user on the same system makes most sense to rule out some simple things. >>

That seems to have worked for some people here:
tinyurl.com/ns96n8 [links to mozilla forum]

Also, rtj's suggestion to reinstall v3 or update to 3.5 may be an easier workaround.

Edited by jbif on 07/07/2009 at 12:37

It's Firefox 3.0.11 without those options >>

I take it you have checked the version in "Help> About ".
Oh well, lost my bet. Odd, but The symptoms you describe are exactly as I see them on my test version of Firefox 3.5
Firefox navigation - Stuartli
Try closing down Firefox and restarting it in its own Safe Mode (from Start>Programs).

Tick the Reset Toolbars and Controls box and restart Firefox. You will then need to reconfigure the Toolbar layout to your requirements.

Try closing down Firefox and restarting it in its own Safe Mode (from Start>Programs).

He's running Mac OS X and not Windows. Is there a safe mode in Firefox 3.0 on the Mac? I've not got access to Firefox 3.0 but do have 3.5.
I'm also using 3.5 (XP Pro). I've presumed that there will be a Safe Mode in the Mac version of the previous Firefox browser.
Some Mozilla and other support info:

tinyurl.com/l6yfxm

installingcats.com/2009/02/07/firefox-stops-loadin.../

Some info on what I mentioned earlier (it can be configured for Mac, Windows and Linux, along with the version of Firefox (!):

support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Back+and+forward+or+o...g
He seems to be saying the buttons are there and don't work. He isn't saying they are missing.

But we'll have to wait for him to post later I guess.

To open Firefox on a Mac in safe mode, you need to open a Terminal window (Applications / Utilities / Terminal) and then run the command:

/Applications/Firefox.app/Contents/MacOS/firefox -safe-mode

Quite obvious when you think about it. When it runs, it displays the safe-mode start-up dialog box which includes one question that asks about resetting toolbars and controls. Might do the trick here.

Edited by rtj70 on 07/07/2009 at 17:24

>He isn't saying they are not missing.>>

I did appreciate that point, but was hopeful that the "Reset" might do the trick.

To be honest I can't really recall FF causing me any problems over a number of years as my main browser; I just install the latest version over the old one and carry on as before.
Indeed, if he start Firefox in safe mode and tries the reset trick he may get this fixed without too much effort.
Just one other thought. Right clicking on the Navigation bar>Customise Toolbar>Add or Remove Toolbar Items includes the opportunity to use the Restore Default Set button.
Firefox navigation - bell boy
if i mess up in opera by pressing too many buttons i just uninstall it and reinstall it
i then get my original settings back and all my saved favourites
dont know if this is any help on firefox mind
It's normally also the case with Firefox, which keeps the various information on bookmarks, preferences, passwords, cookies etc in profiles.
If you wish to keep a backup for Firefox (and Thunderbird if necessary), MozBackUp works well (Windows only):

mozbackup.jasnapaka.com/
keeps the various information on bookmarks, preferences, passwords, cookies etc in
profiles.

On Microsoft Windows...
>>On Microsoft Windows.>>

I did point that out...:-)
Instead of clogging up this forum you could also try emailing me at my mod account to see if I can help. >>

rtj - With hindsight, I can see that you were right. Feel free to delete all the Windows related rubbish. I won't complain!

Free HP Photo Colour HP58 Cartridge Available - madux
Would anyone like an hp Photo Color hp58 cartridge for nothing?
Brand new, still in packaging. No use to me.

Edited by rtj70 on 07/07/2009 at 19:05

Photo hosting websites - ifithelps
I would like to develop my Backrooming by sometimes posting a link to a photo I've taken.

Can anyone recommend an easy-to-use free site suitable for this purpose?

Simplicity is the key for a computer simpleton like me.

Thanks.
Photo hosting websites - daveyjp
I use Google's Picasa for editing and storage of digital photos and this has a web upload facility.

You need to install Picasa then create an account for uploading to the web.

Photobucket and Flickr are also popular.

Photo hosting websites - ifithelps
Thanks, daveyjp.

Just had a tinker with Picasa, seems to work, although it also seems to want to display my email address to everyone.

Photobucket should do the job, although again it seems too easy to post a link which includes access to my 'account dashboard'.

Might see if I get on better with Flickr - tomorrow.

I'm worn out, now. :)
Photo hosting websites - daveyjp
The e-mail address is only on your screen to show you are logged in.

Once uploaded and the website created no e-mail addresses are shown.
Photo hosting websites - bell boy
plus on photobucket you can make your files private in your preferences so when you send a link to a photo that is the only thing the link shows

best way to make sure you are clicking everything correctly is to preview the post on here and click your clicky link
New google operating system Any opinions? - bell boy
any opinions?
im sure i read that the google chrome was phorning people that used that?
i also see that phorn share price has gone down today by lots
is all this linked?

All replies treated with respect
please send phote :-) of boat
New google operating system Any opinions? - Stuartli
BT has just dropped its possible involvement with Phorm.
New google operating system Any opinions? - geoff1248
As I understand the situation the operating system will be open source but the browser will most definitely not be. The reasoning is that Google will thus be able to monitor your browsing habits and bombard you with adverts based on you browsing habits. Simples.
Initially the operating system will only be suitable for net book machines but no doubt we will see it developing for laptops and finally desktops.
It remains to be seen just how effective all this will be.
New google operating system Any opinions? - JH
BB
it's an operating system. If it can't run the applications that are out there then it's got an uphill struggle, to put it mildly. Will the application writers write versions that are Chrome OS compatible? Why should they? There may be a shift over time to web based applications but just look at what's on your pc and work it out for yourself.
JH
New google operating system Any opinions? - maz64
There may be a shift over time to web based applications

Doesn't have to be web based eg. I've used applications (not many admittedly) which are written in Java, which presumably the Chrome OS will support.
F
true, but Java applications usually run like a dog. The old interpreted v compiled problem?
JH
but Java applications usually run like a dog.

But is that actually true? I wouldn't have thought that there aren't that many (properly written) applications that need the full power of today's typical processor, although obviously there will be exceptions (games are the main culprits).

And at least the Java virtual machine runs locally on your PC - presumably web-based applications can also suffer.
F
yes but how many applications are "properly written"? And how many can use parallel processing necessary to exploit a multi core processor? It's along time since I made an honest crust writing code and I've worked with some good programmers but I've also worked with some who, as my grandad put it "shouldn't be paid with the holes from washers". I could name some pretty poor modern applications. For starters have you ever tried putting the date into SAP? Now there's an interesting interpretation of making it easy for the user and getting the code to do the work! :-)
JH
New google operating system Any opinions? - rtj70
But Java is not interpretted - it's p-code isn't it? Or it used to be.
yes but how many applications are "properly written"? And how many can use parallel processing
necessary to exploit a multi core processor?

Fair points - I just get the impression that they're adding more functionality to Java so that the processor spends less time (slowly) interpreting the Java and more time in the Java VM machine coded libraries. And as I'm sure you know the Java source is compiled into byte code first which is interpreted a lot more efficiently than the original source could be.

I don't know much about PC app development - the processor core running the code I write is not dissimilar to a ZX81 in terms of code and data space, but the fact that there are 248 of them on a chip helps :-)
tinyurl.com/ny93fe
Windows 7 availability - maz64
Speaking of new OSs, anyone know when that offer of Windows 7 for £50 mentioned back in vol 187 starts?
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=76205&...f
Windows 7 availability - rtj70
Last week I think and it does not last long. But the OS is not out until October. So I believe MS get your money a few months before you get the new OS.
Last week I think and it does not last long.

Sorry, found it now - between July 15th and August 9th:
emea.microsoftstore.com/UK/Microsoft/Windows/Windo...w

Windows 7 availability - rtj70
Well if we'd checked the Microsoft UK site we'd all know it's July 15th to 9th August:

www.microsoft.com/uk/windows/buy/offers/pre-order....x

Edit: Beat me to it :-)

Edited by rtj70 on 08/07/2009 at 23:21

Windows 7 availability - Stuartli
Microsoft says it is offering discounts on a limited number of pre-ordered Windows 7 licences.

From July 15th to August 9th UK retailers, including Micro Anvika, are accepting pre-orders for Windows 7.

PC users can buy the Windows 7 Home Premium licence for £49, a £100 saving. Windows 7 Pro will retail at £99, £120 under Microsoft's suggested retail price.

Customers will be allowed to buy up to three licences, but stocks are claimed to be limited. See:

www.anvika.com/preorderw7
www.anvika.com/preorderw7

Thanks Stuartli.
Windows 7 availability - Victorbox
Looks like PC World, Dixons, Comet, etc involved so you may not wish to pay their suggested postage www.microsoft.com/uk/windows/buy/offers/pre-order....x Even Amazon UK will probably not charge p&p on a £49 purchase.
Hotmail log in. - maltrap
I'm having problems accessing my Hotmail. It's asking me to log in (it doesn't usually) When i try to do this as soon as i click on the sign in button it says incorrect password even though i haven't put one in. I also had to log in to this site (successfully) which i,ve never had to before. Many thanks for any help.
Hotmail log in. - JH
maltrap
are you logging in with Outlook Express? If so try logging in directly to the Hotmail web site without using client email software. If that works then your pc is incorrectly remembering your pw. If it doesn't then I hope you have set up alternative email accounts to which your pw can be mailed!
Good luck,
JH
Hotmail log in. - maltrap
JH.
Thanks for your reply. I sorted it by clicking on the "Forget Me" button and re entering my existing details.
Thanks again.
Maltrap.

Edited by maltrap on 12/07/2009 at 16:18

Finding out when Sony Laptop Released - audiA6tdi
My old laptop broke and PC World have given me a voucher for £800 to buy a new one. I have 3 months to spend it (on a certain laptop decided by them). THey state that if the laptop is not available then I can have the next model up. What id like to find out is when this laptop was released, is it old and about to be replaced or am I best to wait until the 3 months is nearly up.

The model is an VGNFW48EH. Can anyone advise how I can find out what date the model was released in the UK?

thanks

{Hmmm, a computer question; over to comp related you go-----> }

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 12/07/2009 at 22:14

Finding out when Sony Laptop Released - Stuartli
The laptop appears to be a Sony Vaio - this link provides a due in date in the week commencing July 27th but, of course, the year is unknown..:-(

tinyurl.com/nl5k93

I can't find any reviews for it in a quick hunt - could be that one of the magazines did a test and you will get some idea of the date from that.

A slightly lower price model was tested in March this year.
Finding out when Sony Laptop Released - rtj70
Do you not need the laptop for three months (at all?). What about getting it and selling it on?

If you wait for a new spec, the next new one is just around the corner.

Is the new one better than the one that broke? If so I doubt if one in 3 months will be that much better. The only Intel CPUs being used in laptops (not luggable desktop replacements) at the moment are Core 2 Duo's and that will probably continue until the i5 CPU's are available. But these will carry a price premium.

The only thing that springs to mind is there will likely be new PCs and laptops out before the back to school/university timeframe.

P.S. The reference you give for a laptop at PC World does not show any laptops matching that model number. The VGNFW48EH would imply the 48 is the model specific part for a Sony Vaio. The highest model they have is the VGNFW41xx.
Do you not need the laptop for three months (at all?). What about getting it
and selling it on? I need a new laptop as PC World have taken back the old one which was 4.5 years old.

I was hoping to wait till the last minute to get one in the hope that it will be the latest one. I know 'latest model' these days last for all of 5 minutes as products change so frequently.

I looked on laptopsdirect and they carry that model number, also the Sony site has it on but not the PC World site for some reason.

£800 on a laptop seems a bit over kill, I would have liked to buy 2 £400 models but they wont allow that.
If PC World do not have that laptop (seems an okay spec apart from only a 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo CPU) then how can you get it? And they cannot give you the next model up because they don't even have this one. Or am I missing something?

I'd go back and see what they say about that. It's not even out of stock - they don't have that laptop.
The paper work I have off them, dated July 8th states that only a 'Sony Vaio VGNFW48EH' will be supplied, retail price £799. 'If this model is not available or has been superceeded then the next available model up will be offered'

From the looks of it I think this hasnt yet been released.

Thanks for you help.
A bit of hunting around has revealed it is being released on 27th July. Thanks for your help RJ70

Edited by audiA6tdi on 12/07/2009 at 22:11

>>A bit of hunting around has revealed it is being released on 27th July>>

I did point that out in my link, but that it was not clear in what year..:-)

This is the Sony website description of the range:

tinyurl.com/l8wusq

Edited by Stuartli on 13/07/2009 at 00:18

By the way, PC World often creates its own model numbers for various products or they are exclusive to the outlet (perhaps a cosmetic difference or slightly different specification).

For that sort of price of laptop I'd prefer (even a smaller screen) Apple Macbook Pro. I see the Sony keyboard is now copying the Apple keyboards of laptops and the newer aluminium desktop keyboards.

But the Apple laptop will be lower spec.
Spam email from HMRC - L'escargot
I've just received a spam email from HMRC headed "Automatic Tax Refund Notification" requesting that I click on a link to request a refund of a (sizeable) tax refund. Will it be safest to just ignore it? I'm certainly not due the refund stated and I can't help but suspect some it's some sort of dubious activity from a ne'er-do-well.
Spam email from HMRC - maz64
Probably dodgy, but as a matter of interest when you hover over the link, does the browser display where the link is pointing to?
Spam email from HMRC - L'escargot
............ when you hover over the link does
the browser display where the link is pointing to?

www.culturalclassics.com

I'll delete the email forthwith.
Spam email from HMRC - bell boy
www.hmrc.gov.uk/security/examples.htm
Spam email from HMRC - Stuartli
>>..I can't help but suspect some it's some sort of dubious activity from a ne'er-do-well. >>

I trust it didn't take you more than a nanosecond to come to that conclusion..:-))
Spam email from HMRC - maz64
Just got one as well-

"You are require to submit..."

I don't think so :-)

EDIT: and gmail put it straight into spam folder anyway

Edited by Focus {P} on 17/07/2009 at 10:11

Spam email from HMRC - daveyjp
One of these was waiting in my Hotmail Junk folder this morning - makes a change from receiving them from 'banks'.
Is it just me, or is this site incredibly slow? - Mapmaker
particularly for making a post. Noticed this yesterday. Not very quattroporte about it...

Edited by rtj70 on 16/07/2009 at 16:29

Is it just me, or is this site incredibly slow? - rtj70
I have to say it's fine for me although over the past few days loading web pages in general slowed right down. Initial load of any web page took forever. Initially thought it was the browser I was using but it was the same with Firefox....

Swapped the DNS servers used (not the ISP ones) and all is fine again. I'm with Virgin Media and this solved the problem for me. I am currently using the OpenDNS servers.
New Laptop and Windows 7 Upgrade Process - BobbyG
I am thinking of getting a new laptop, my existing one is slow and sceen flickers which does not bode well.

Now obviously all new laptops come with Vista (don't want a netbook). If you buy one, retailers are saying you will get a free upgrade to Windows 7 when it comes out.

But reading a leaflet in Tesco tonight, it seemed to suggest that to do this upgrade you would need to back up every file, program etc on your computer before doing so. But it also said that Windows 7 will not have an Internet Browser and you will need to source one?
How practical is this to a computer illiterate like me?

So what should I do? Do I buy a laptop just now and then everything I put on it, I know I will need to then copy to presumably an external HDD to put onto new comp?

Or do I wait to Windows 7 is out and get one already loaded with it?

Or wait till Windows 7 comes out and get a Vista one as they will be a lot cheaper maybe??

All assuming that current laptop survives that long?

Thoughts / suggestions?

Edited by rtj70 on 17/07/2009 at 01:01

New Laptop and Windows 7 Upgrade Process - rtj70
Because of all the anti-trust proceedings going on, Microsoft agreed to ship Windows 7 in Europe without a browser. Hence products that end in E for Europe, e.g. Windows 7 Home Premium E.

This means there will be no upgrade from Vista to Windows 7 - you will need to do a clean install and therefore should backup all your files. You will also need to download a browser from the Internet to install... without using Windows 7 because it does not have a browser. I am sure there will be easy ways to do it for novices like disks included in the laptop case etc for new PCs - remember new PCs will ship in Europe without Internet Explorer 8.

As for your dilemma. If you need one now then get it but maybe no upgrade to Windows 7. And if you do it will probably be easier than you realise. Assuming you back up files properly.
New Laptop and Windows 7 Upgrade Process - Dynamic Dave
Now obviously all new laptops come with Vista

You can still specify Win-XP Home on the Dell ones, and quite a few others besides.
But there's no upgrade from XP to Windows 7 anywhere. Vista to Windows 7 just isn't possible in Europe.
New Laptop and Windows 7 Upgrade Process - Rattle
I wonder it will be in the form of a downloadable link or as that been banned too? E.g Vista dosn't come with MSN messenger but it gives you a link to download it from. I wonder if Windows 7 would give you a choice of browsers? If not I can see myself making quite a bit of money from this as I know a good quarter of my customers will find a simple task like installing a browser with no web access on the local machine hard.
I would think if there is a link of any kind it needs to be for all the browsers. You'll be able to run more than IE8 - otherwise Microsoft will be in trouble in the UK.

Of course it is network enabled just no browser so it could download a browser easily but you won't be able to go to a website and click on a link to start it.
New Laptop and Windows 7 Upgrade Process - Stuartli
..know a good quarter of my customers will find a simple task like installing a browser with no web access on the local machine hard (drive). >>

Rattle, just how many of your customers do you really suspect will be taking Windows 7 on board?

By the way, a current computer website poll indicates that 67 per cent of respondents will be sticking with their XP or Vista systems (47 per cent, in fact, in the case of XP).
New Laptop and Windows 7 Upgrade Process - ifithelps
Does the OP, who describes himself as 'computer illiterate' need Windows 7?

Don't think I do, Vista does everything I want, and a load more besides that I don't understand, let alone use.

Vista has been out a while, so presumably it's reasonably well sorted.

I would have thought the best advice for the OP would be to steer clear of Windows 7, unless it's got some super new feature he really needs.
New Laptop and Windows 7 Upgrade Process - Pugugly
Buy an Apple Mac.
New Laptop and Windows 7 Upgrade Process - Altea Ego
Two important computer lessons that should be burned on your eyeballs.

Lesson 1
Never ever - repeat after me NEVER EVER, upgrade from one version of windows to another
always buy pre installed, or install from scratch after a format.

Lesson 2
Never ever install the first Version of any MS software, until the first service pack has arrived.

( incase you missed it NEVER NEVER NEVER EVER upgrade from one version to another)
Never ever install the first Version of any MS software, until the first service pack has
arrived.

Windows 7 is Vista with a major service pack ;-) It is not vastly different under the covers just better implemented.
New Laptop and Windows 7 Upgrade Process - jbif
( incase you missed it NEVER NEVER NEVER EVER upgrade from one version to another) >>

I have gone against the advice in both your lessons, with absolutely no problems whatsoever. To top it all, I had previously never tried a RC version of software, I have now got Win7RC and I have absolutely no regrets.

Lesson 3
Never say NEVER.

New Laptop and Windows 7 Upgrade Process - Altea Ego
SQ
Lesson 3
Never say NEVER.

You will at some point, come unstuck.

My applogies now, but my gloating when it DOES bite you will be rather unpleasant.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 17/07/2009 at 15:50

>>Vista has been out a while, so presumably it's reasonably well sorted.>>

Actually it's been the reaction to Vista (quite a lot of it unfavourable both from individuals and businesses) that has led to the pending earlier arrival of Windows7. Some are also unhappy at Vista's bloated nature.

Compared to XP, which came out in 2001, Vista has not particularly impressed much of the business community, hence the Microsoft decision to extend and continue XP security fixes support until April 8, 2014.

Mainstream supported ended in April this year, but until 2014 self-help support information and pay-per-incident live support are maintained, whilst software patches and updates continue for business desktop software.

I'm sticking with XP Pro for as long as possible - it's the most stable and reliable OS I've used over many years and does all I require.

New Laptop and Windows 7 Upgrade Process - ifithelps
...Actually it's been the reaction to Vista (quite a lot of it unfavourable both from individuals and businesses)....

OK, but having got Vista, is there any point in changing to 7, given the process looks a little complicated?
OK, but having got Vista, is there any point in changing to 7, given the process looks a little complicated? >>

IMO, no point. If you are happy with Vista, there is no reason for you to rush to install Win7.

I would summarise it in simple terms that Win7 removes some of the complexities that had made Vista unpopular with IT professionals who have to look after multiple installations in the corporate environment. [In reality, there are many changes from Vista to Win7, but they need not concern the home user who is happy with Vista].

New Laptop and Windows 7 Upgrade Process - Rattle
I meant if they bought a new computer but then I suspect the manufacturers will just load it preinstalled with a browser. I've noticed that all Packard Bell's come with Firefox as the default browser for example.
BobbyG - I shall attempt to give you factual answers [rather than replies along the lines that say buy a Rolls Royce when you are loking to buy a Mini ;-)]:

1. If you can wait, the earliest you may be able to buy laptops with Windows 7 preinstalled should be 22 October 2009.
2. I have been using the free trial of Win7RC [*] and I can confirm the widely held opinion that it is vastly better than Vista, in all areas that matter to "computer illiterate" users.
3. If you cannot wait, then yes you either
(a). Follow the guidelines as per the Tesco leaflet, or
(b). Install the free trial of Win7 and then once you receive your free full version of Win7 from your laptop supplier, you just enter the new product key, and your laptop should be fully functioning with Win7. You will have until June 2010 to switch from the free trial RC to the final version.
You have until 20 August 2009 to get yourself a copy of the RC version. Get it here now:
technet.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/dd353205.as...d
You should download the 32bit version. Grab a trial key at the same time.

Install as per
www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/installation-i...x OR
windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/8572b...x

If you do decide to go down the 3(b) path, then come back here at the time for further advice on how to do so.

[*] RC = release candidate. It is the almost finished version of Win7 that is one step before the RTM version. RTM = release to manufacture.
There are various flavours of upgrading to Windows7 from the RC version also listed. See, for instance:

windowsfixup.com/2009/06/windows-7-beta-testers-mu.../
There are various flavours of upgrading to Windows7 from the RC version >>

Yes, which is why I said " come back here at the time for further advice ". IMO, it will be a lot easier to back up and migrate data from Win7RC to Win7 final.

Anyway, I think BoobyG has enough info here now to confuse him thoroughly, and I shall wait until he asks for more ingredients in this mash before stirring up the pot further.

p.s. the link says "Microsoft provides instructions on how to uninstall the Pre-release version of Windows 7 and revert to a previous genuine operating system"

EXCEPT that the instructions are not there at the moment!

Edited by jbif on 17/07/2009 at 12:17

>>..before stirring up the pot further.>>

It was meant as a general observation, rather than specific to BoobyG.
New Laptop and Windows 7 Upgrade Process - smokie
That's twice BoobyG has been mentioned in this thread. Do you know something I don't?? :-)
That's twice BoobyG has been mentioned >>

This quote makes it four (o) (o) (o) (o)
;-)

Edited by jbif on 17/07/2009 at 14:25