Buying - private - eevie
I am buying a car privately from someone who lives locally, I have been to view at the house and I am happy with everything. I have had a HPI check done. The problem is the registration document is not in the name of the seller, the car was bought short term by a trader who trades abroad. Effectively this makes it a private sale, not trade. I have asked to see the receipt the seller has for purchase of the car. Do you think this is sufficient proof of entitlement to sell the car? Is there anything else I should check?
Buying - private - bell boy
so in essence you are saying the v5 is intact apart from the top right hand corner bit ?
if this is so and man selling says he is private then various offences are being committed
however
i suggest you speak to the last registered keeper on the v5 and hear what he has to say
mileage
mot
why he sold it
if happy then get a bill of sale made out to you and to the minute you drove away
then all those speeding camera bills can go back to the rented house you bought the car from

caveat umptar and have a nice evening :-)
Buying - private - bathtub tom
>>the car was bought short term by a trader who trades abroad.

I haven't heard that one before - there goes the porcine aerial display team.;>)
Buying - private - Martin Devon
caveat umptar and have a nice evening :-)

This site would be a little bit 'Lighter' (if indeed that is the right word word) without your input BB.

Respect your view(s)..........................MD
Buying - private - jbif
I am happy with everything. >>

1. But you are not!
2. I bet you are very happy with the price!
3. Don't buy it.

Buying - private - pd
If it was bought by a trader then the yellow slip will have been sent in. This only happens once until it is fully re-registered. Cars get passed from trader to trader (and often "smoked" for 6 months too!) whilst under "passed to trade" status with the DVLA.

The missing yellow slip doesn't in its self mean anything - nor does the V5 for that matter - posession on the V5 is the important bit and it means nothing as to who owns the car.

However, a true private buyer and seller should have re-registered it so the "private" seller appears to be trying to make a trade so it isn't really a private sale.
Buying - private - pd
Incidentally, once you fill in the main V5 part then a whole new V5 will be issued in your name from the date you put on the V5. Any responsibility for tax, fines or whatever is not your problem and you'll only be responsible from that date.

There is in fact a big loophole as there are a lot of cars on the road under "trade" status. The DVLA hardly ever chase tax or even other fines on these cars as it is too much paperwork and they simply can't be bothered.
Buying - private - bathtub tom
>>This site would be a little bit 'Lighter' (if indeed that is the right word word) without your input BB.

Love him or hate him, I hate to think what this site would be without him (it was for a long time).

I for one gratefully appreciate his input, although I don't always agree with it, and think we'd be much worse of without it.

Perhaps you'd like to consider your own position MD, although I wouldn't like to see your own valued input disappear.

Edited by bathtub tom on 28/06/2009 at 00:10

Buying - private - Avant
Have a look on Autotrader for something else in your price range. There shgould be lots of cars around at the moment, enough for you not to have to get involved with this one. If there's any doubt about the seller's title to the car, walk away.
Buying - private - eevie
I did find it on Autotader, the seller isin possession of theV5 which has been signed by the original owner of the car. Anything else I should weatch out for?
Buying - private - pd
There certainly aren't "loads of cars around at the moment". There is a real shortage of many types and ages. You don't get prices of a commodity (which is what used cars are) increasing 40% in 6 months when there are loads about.
Buying - private - BorisTheSpider
Signed by previous but one owner, but not the guy your buying off? Sounds a little dodgy have a nasty feeling any cover from the HPI cover won't come into effect as you didnt view the car at address shown on V5.

Take care
Boris
Buying - private - nick
There are thousands of cars for sale out there, another one you fancy will be along shortly so why take the risk? Your brain is obviously ringing an alarm bell otherwise you wouldn't ask the question. I take it the price is particularly attractive? Perhaps there is a reason why a trader would sell a car at less than the could otherwise get for it? Perhaps he sees himself as a charity, selling cars at below the market price?
It may be genuine but then again......
Buying - private - eevie
Thanks for all the replies. I am happy with the seller, but think it would be foolish not to check his ownership of the car. The price isn?t cheap, it is about right according to Parkers guide.

We have been looking for several weeks now and the type of car we are after are few and far between.

The seller trades abroad and the website he has looks genuine. He did the HPI check whilst I was there and he logged in as a trader. The V5 has the yellow bit missing. I presume his receipt for the car will be enough to establish ownership.
Buying - private - Fullchat
You have asked the questions and been given the advice. Rightly you are showing a degree of caution. If you are happy with all the evidence presented to you then go for it. If not walk away. No one else can make that final decision but yourself.
Buying - private - robroy
Is there anything else I should check?

...perhaps 'marbles?'
Buying - private - nortones2
When you say he trades abroad, do you mean that he trades from a base that is abroad? Or is he claiming to trade from the UK to "abroad" whatever that might be? Either way, doesn't sound like a private sale. Perhaps worth checking the traders credentials, Trading Standards records (if they can be bothered!), CC judgements etc. But as has been said before, it's your decision.