Sucking coolant out? - Rattle
I have access to a very powerful vacumn which sucks out water. Could this be used to suck out coolant from the header tank rather than disconnecting hoses to the radiator or am I missing something? The thread about syphoning oil out prompted to make this thread now but it is something I have been thinking about.
Sucking coolant out? - Peter D
Depending on the car and model you may only be able to suck out the contents of the header tank. What are you trying to achieve. Regards Peter
Sucking coolant out? - SpamCan61 {P}
The last 5 Vauxhalls I've had ( admittedly big 'uns not corsas) have had a proper tap and nozzle on the bottom of the rad. for this purpose. Must admit I was surprised they bother fitting them.
Sucking coolant out? - Victorbox
If you only want to empty the expansion tank surely a large turkey baster is all you need?
Sucking coolant out? - oilrag
Don`t tell me you are thinking of changing the antifreeze by sticking a vac in the header tank Rattle...

`My mechanic` is going to be spinning in his pit ;-)

Edited by oilrag on 26/06/2009 at 22:26

Sucking coolant out? - oilrag
Take the Jubilee clip off the bottom hose instead.
Sucking coolant out? - brum
Provided, coolant levels and the correct concentration of the correct (manufacturers) antifreeze is maintained, there should be no need to change the coolant for the life of the car. At least for VAG cars that is.

Sucking coolant out? - ifithelps
...a proper tap and nozzle on the bottom of the rad. for this purpose...

Best not to touch these after a few years.

The tap siezes and trying to turn it rips it from its mounting on the radiator.

Use the bottom hose, which can normally be worked loose without damage.
Sucking coolant out? - L'escargot
Use the bottom hose which can normally be worked loose without damage.

But be prepared to need a new bottom hose. The inside of the old one may have hardened and taken on a permanent impression of the shape of the outside of the radiator pipe stub, in which case it will be impossible to get the hose back in exactly the same position on the pipe stub and it may leak.
Sucking coolant out? - ifithelps
...But be prepared to need a new bottom hose...

Agreed,

I've managed to trim one back in the past - customer broken down on a Sunday, just wanted to get going.

If the hose is rotting at the rad end, it probably wants replacing anyway.