96 1.8d Noisy engine since new cambelt - pullgees
Since getting the cam belt and pump belt changed the engine sounds noisier. There is a harshness or coarseness to the engine sound that was not there before. The garage told me they advanced the pump timing a bit. I took the back to tell them the engine sounded harsh but was told it's okay basically. I took the car along to a Ford garage and got one of the mechanics to have a listen and he thought it was okay as well.
The plus points are, the effect of the new timing setting is that it starts quicker from cold, immediately in fact and the fuel consumption has improved as well. So should I feel lucky? It just doesn't sound smooth like it did though and it's bugging me. Does advancing the pump timing make the engine sound coarser or could it be advanced too much and I'm hearing the equivalent of pinking?
96 1.8d Noisy engine since new cambelt - bell boy
i think you are just used to the noise it used to make
96 1.8d Noisy engine since new cambelt - injection doc
if the timing was retarded it would be slower to start & may be even a little smokey cold just a faint blue hayes. If the engine has more of a " crack" to it now thats because the timing is more advanced. If it starts on the button & is economical & responsive I would say the belts about right & as Bell Boy says you were just used to its old noise rather than it running right
96 1.8d Noisy engine since new cambelt - pullgees
Yes it has more of a crack to it. Okay thanks for the reassurance as you say I am probably used to the old quieter sound.
96 1.8d Noisy engine since new cambelt - Peter.N.
The fact that you say it starts easier is certainly a sign of advanced timing. Over advancd timing can be detrimental to the engine but if the mechanics say it sounds OK I wouldn't worry.