03 1.9TDi turbo problems - bazp777
i have a 1.9 golf tdi and i find when i have been on the motorway for about 10 minutes the turbo no long works for the rest of the journey. it is fine around town. does anyone have any ideas?

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 22/06/2009 at 11:15

03 1.9 turbo problems - craig-pd130

Are you getting any kind of error message coming up on the dash, or does the glow-plug warning light flash? If so, there will be a fault code stored in the ECU memory which will give you a clue.

My money is on one of the following:

- aged, soft, split or collapsing intercooler pipe
- split or badly fitted vacuum pipe to the variable-nozzle mechanism on the turbo or EGR
- sticking / faulty N75 (boost control) valve
- sticky VNT vanes in the turbo (these can be exercised using the proper VAG-COM diagnostic tool)

You can check the pipes yourself quite easily, a frayed or leading pipe isn't hard to spot. The others will need a garage that knows how to use VAG-COM.
03 1.9 turbo problems - Woofbark
You don't need to be a mechanic to know how to use VAG-COM and if you've got a laptop with a USB port, it's easy and cheap enough to pick up off eBay etc and use yourself to interrogate one of these.

Also, some fault codes are generated and stored in the ECU without the car showing any signs there's a problem in terms of the engine management light etc, so it's always worth plugging one of these that isn't running quite right into VAG-COM to see if anything is amiss.

Another favourite for poor running on one of these is the MAF.

OP: Which version of the 1.9 has your Golf got; 100, 115, 130 or 150bhp?