03 1.4 strange electrical fault,possible bad earth - 1.4tdci
Hi People,
I own a 2003 1.4tdci fiesta. It has had an intermittent electrical fault for quite q while, every time it does it and i think of taking it in it miraculously rights itself - until next time!

Basically there are three main problems that Im wondering weather thay are linked.

The front driverside indicator stops working (flashing double fast on the dash board as if a bulb was gone) even though the bulb is fine and all the other bulbs in the car are fine, including break bulbs. i have taken the front and back lights out, given them a clean, checked for moisture etc. i took the earth off the battery and gave it a clean and the problem ritghed itself. Then two, three maybe four weeks later it starts doing it again, very strange. I've rectified it in this way twice now and its started doing it again.

Then recently while going down the motorway one day the radio volume dropped down a level of its own accord which caught my attention, i then realised that the speedo and digital trip clock had cut out. about 10 miles further along the motorway it miraculously kicked in again and the radio increased back to its original volume.

Finally, if I go through a large puddle at anything over 15 miles an hour the car willl go into limp mode and come up with the EAC fail, its only apparent when the puddle is on the passenger side (also the side the battery is located on) it takes an hour or so rest for the car to work again, presumably as its dried itself out. Also very strange.

I do know that these cars suffer at time from a "bad earth" ???? Does anybody know if this sounds like a bad earth and if so could this be the reason for all three problems? If so Should I buy a new Earth cable for the battery?

Any help gratefully recieved. Sorry its a bit longwinded!
Charlie.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 19/06/2009 at 01:46

03 1.4 strange electrical fault,possible bad earth - 1.4tdci
anyone.....?
03 1.4 strange electrical fault,possible bad earth - Peter.N.
The indicator light flashing fast would indicate that one light is not recieving any current, if the connections on the lamp are good, a bad earth is the most likely cause, if that earth is common to anything else it could cause other faults.