Mondeo Cutting out - Blue {P}
My mate has a 94 L Mondeo 1.8 LX Auto, has done 90,000 miles, was regularly serviced at a main dealers by the elderly bloke who owned it for 8 years, my mate bought it and let it go about 5,000 - 6,000 miles past it's due service, before having a major service at the Ford dealers today (Yeah, I know he's an idiot to ruin a perfect history on an 8 year old car but there you go...).

Over the past week or two (before the service) the car tends to cut out at low revs when stationary, as far as I know this happens in Neutral or Drive/Reverse. When the engine is started, the revs will go up to about 1100 and then over a period of about 2 - 3 seconds steadily die until the car cuts out. This can happen whether the enigne is hot or cold (I think) Otherwise the car is driving fine.

Can any clever people suggest something that could be at fault? He pointed it out at the dealers before the service and when we collected the car, it did idle OK so we thought that they'd fixed it. Unfortunately it's still doing it. :( So he would appreciate any help that may cut down on the expensive diagnosis process...

Thanx
P.S. Forgot to mention he's gonna try and get it back to the garage tomorrow so if anyone has any quick info tonight it really would be appreciated. :)
Mondeo Cutting out - the conductor
needs new idle control valve known problem with these about £60 from ford on bottom of throttle body will be very carboned up you could try cleaning but dosent normally work.
Mondeo Cutting out - Adam Going (Tune-Up)
Some models have a rubber 'T' piece in the crankcase breather circuit, just below the coil pack. This commonly perishes or splits, creating a direct air leak to inlet manifold. Sometimes leaking even when looking OK. Can cuase stalling and poor driveability at low speeds.I replace them anyway if more than 2 years old. Ford Part No.7038378.

HTH, Adam
Thanks for the ideas people, will start investigating these as soon as we can... Although he reckons it hasn't been as bad lately, it now tries to stall but the revs come back up at the last second and then it just idles...