2005 1.6tdci - Turbo possibly engine trouble - mickg76
Hi

Can anyone help me with a recurring problem. After 2000 miles the turbo blows, it has now had 2 turbos and is on its third (that i am aware of).

The latest garage has tested the oil pressure in the engine and have found it is lower than it ought to be and have suggested that with previous cases warranty have replaced the engine.

I am out of main manufacturer warranty and would prefer not to have to fork out for a new engine if someone may be able to suggest any possible alternatives to try beforehand.

Many thanks
Mick

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 08/06/2009 at 22:25

Turbo possibly engine trouble - Peter.N.
What actually happens to the turbo, do the oil seals fail, does it seize up or what? Is it petrol or diesel?
Turbo possibly engine trouble - Dynamic Dave
Is it petrol or diesel?

One of the other moderators has emailed Mick, asking him for the year and engine info.
Turbo possibly engine trouble - mickg76
Apologies Peter, its a 2005 1.6tdci.

Not sure what the seals looked like, not very technical. Sorry.

The last time the turbo went was when i was going 30mph'ish on a coutry road. I put my foot down and there was nothing at all there. A complete loss of power. I do not recall a particular noise which accompanied this.

I managed to limp into the nearest dealership. They were really good and checked the pressure of the oil being pushed out by the engine to the turbo. This was apparently lower than it should have been, which they suggested could have been the reason why the previous turbo's had failed too.

This and the previous turbo both lasted approx 2000 miles each before becoming starved of oil.

Thanks for your reply,

Edited by mickg76 on 08/06/2009 at 21:31

Turbo possibly engine trouble - Peter.N.
That is likely the problem then. Turbo's run at very high speed, can be up to 100,000 rpm although probably not in a diesel, they should last the life of the engine, with the occaisional exception, they do need a good oil supply though. Could be that your oil pump is faulty.
Turbo possibly engine trouble - MikeTorque
Pity car manufacurers don't fit oil gauges as standard, issues like these could then be detected before they occurred.

Sounds like the oil pump and oil circulation needs sorting out before fitting another turbo. The oil pump needs checking out and flushing oil may be a good idea in case there is any oil cake blocking up the oilways, then empty the oil sump and add in some fresh oil and circulate for 5 minutes, then empty oil again to ensure a full flush is completed. Replace oil filter and add fresh oil and check oil pressure. Only when the oil pressure has been restored to normal should a new turbo be fitted.

Edited by MikeTorque on 08/06/2009 at 23:36

Thanks for the advice Mike, very much appreciated.

Thanks for your time Pete, very much appreciated.