Cooper tyres any good? - Rattle
I had a nail in one of my tyres today as as it was a cheap and nasty thing already on the car and down to 3mm I thought it was best to replace it. I called the local tyre guy out and I asked him to fit a mid range tyre he fitted a Cooper Sportmaster GLE and charged £46 including balancing. The tyre looks pretty good but I can't find anything about these tyres on the net.

If the tyre is half decent I might get the same person out to replace the other on a few months time as that is down to 3.5mm and again is a cheap fastfit special.

All I know is they are apart of Avon and properly more popular in the USA than Europe?
Cooper tyres any good? - Pugugly
664,000 hits on Google.
Yes mostly shops selling them e.g biased.
Cooper tyres any good? - jbif
If the tyre is half decent >>

It is half decent, which is probably infinitely better than the other one on your car is probably indecent! ;-)

Nah, put the half decent in your boot as spare, and get two new decent ones like the ones you did here a few weeks ago:
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=73825&...f

Cooper tyres any good? - Tron
Rattle - I have been using these of late: tinyurl.com/n6sd8u
and ATS are doing them for £45 all in too. Riken made by Mitchellin.

Edited by Tron on 01/06/2009 at 22:05

Cooper tyres any good? - NARU
Cooper 4x4 tyres have a pretty good reputation
Cooper tyres any good? - Pugugly
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=56369&...f

Screwloose thought they were good.
Cooper tyres any good? - captain chaos
Cooper tyres any good?
Yes. Especially the whitewalls :-)

Edited by captain chaos on 02/06/2009 at 00:42

Thanks from the bit of research I did find out is that they are big in the USA but not in Europe. It seems they are now doing a Kumho and trying to get into the UK by undercutting the big boys. So it seems as average tyres are they are probably ok, certainly for a 1.2 Corsa :).
Cooper tyres any good? - frazerjp
I have coopers on thr front of my Golf, I don't thikn they're the grippiest pair of all.
Cooper tyres any good? - Marc
Cooper Tire are the US parent company of Avon Tyres.

I've never had Cooper tyres but I rate the Avon ZV5.
Cooper tyres any good? - Roly93
Cooper Tire are the US parent company of Avon Tyres.
I've never had Cooper tyres but I rate the Avon ZV5.

>>
What car do you have the ZV5's on as I am on the brink of putting a pair of these on the front of my A4 Avant as they seem to be well priced and reasonably well though of.
Cooper tyres any good? - L'escargot
Wouldn't it have been easier to ask the question before the tyre was fitted? Why did you allow the tyre fitter to choose the make?
Cooper tyres any good? - mjm
>>as that is down to 3.5mm<<
Replace a tyre which has barely bedded in and has nearly 2mm of usable tread left?
I thought you northerners looked after the pennies!

o):
Car was booked in for brake pads the next day so needed it fixed in a hurry. The tyre already fitted was a fastfit a cheap and nasty thing and I have wanted to replace it anyway.

Mjm lots of research has suggested that tyres at 3mm start to loose their grip and I didn't know the age of the tyre or anything so it made more sense just to replace.

The way I view as I only do 3k a year a new tyre will last the life of the car so its only a once purchase thing.
Cooper tyres any good? - mjm
In the good old days they used to put some nice white canvas in the tyres to let you know when the tread had gone. It caught me out when they started using bits of wire, it was more difficult to see.

:)

You can get tyres to lose their grip with any amount of tread if you try hard enough. :)
Cooper tyres any good? - rtj70
My lease company will replace tyres when they get to about 3mm across the centre section (is it 3/4 of it?). My original tyres on the Mazda6 will be due for replacement soon - approaching 23,000 miles.

If Cooper tyres is the parent company of Avon, I once had a set of Avons on my Passat 1.8T. They last far longer than anything else I had on it. They must have had a harder compound but the car wallowed in corners so much it probably didn't make much difference. Not that I have a real choice of what tyres goes on the cars.

Forgot to add last week's Auto Express had a very small article on Cooper tyres.

Edited by rtj70 on 04/06/2009 at 11:37

Cooper tyres any good? - NARU
My lease company will replace tyres when they get to about 3mm ...

That's good. Mine would only replace at 2mm. And when you're doing 1,000 miles a week as I was at one point, makes it quite difficult to schedule the fitter's visit. I remember working out that there was only about 10 days between 2mm and illegal.
I also have the benefit of being able to get a mobile fitter out. You obviously need to know where you'll be on a particular day still but makes it a little easier.
Rather like my brake pads, was told I had 3k life in them, at 500 miles when I told him to just do them he tells me they are almost at the rim.

Still not sure if I should leave the Arrowspeed on the drivers side, its down to 3mm and probably dosn't have much grip in the wet but for now I will leave it until I have a bit more money.

On a side note it is scary how many people leave their tyres till MOT time and never inflate them. I check mine every week including the side walls it just isn't worth the risk (as somebody who suffered a tyre burst on the M62 due to my dads leave it to the MOT attitude).
And also worth checking how old tyres are - there is a date on them. Any older than that and they perform badly safety wise. Auto Express has done some tests on this recently.
Cooper tyres any good? - Marc
"What car do you have the ZV5's on as I am on the brink of putting a pair of these on the front of my A4 Avant as they seem to be well priced and reasonably well though of."

They're on an 05 Galaxy 2.3 auto. The Galaxy needs extra load tyres and these replaced the original Michelin Pilots. The other options I had were Dunlop SPs or Michelin Excellence. I paid £89 per corner.

The Avons provide a comfy, grippy ride. Possibly slightly noisier than the Michelins. They are equally at home on the motorway or twisty, stop start Devon lanes. I think they are a relatively soft compound. They have a rim protector and are made in England.

Most people remember Avon for the old Enviros they used to do. These were rock hard, lasted for ages (as they were supposed to) and not very grippy - I've heard them referred to as 'ditchmasters'...