88 1.9GTi - Misfiring after running out of fuel - lee123
hi i was really hoping somebody can help me out here, im busy restoring my 205 1.9 gti 1988 model. i currently banned form driving so its my project, i have bean strating it up and letting her run for about 10 mins a day, but one i ran out of fuel, i filled up my petrol can before i put it in the tank i was doing a bit engine clean up making all the metals shine again, i had the fuel rail off ect. and clean it up with a wire brush, any way i put my petrol in the tank and started it up the car was ideling at 2000 rpm and eventually dropped to normal and started missing hugely when i rev it it wont go past 4000rpm and when it hits 4000 it misses hugely and you can hear popping in the exhaust and it stinks which leads me to belive its over fueling ive checked the spark and they seem to be working fine. also i should say that since this is happening my fuel pump has gone mega loud i thought it was starving of fuel but i dont no any more..... please help, thanks. lee

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 29/05/2009 at 19:52

88 1.9 HELP HUGE MISFIRE - injection doc
if you have removed the fuel rail it sounds like you have disturbed an injectot O ring causing a big air leak. this will make it idle fast cold & misfire hot. Have you got the fuel pipes connected correctly & the right way round ?
88 1.9 HELP HUGE MISFIRE - bell boy
you ran it out of petrol
the pumps gone loud
it struggles to rev up
i would suspect fuel starvation due to the pump

by the way why would you rev it up to 4 big ones when not under any load
thanks for the replys guys,, well i think i may have put the pipe that come from the fuel filter with the banjo on that may be on the rong way but i cant see it doing wht it is beacuase of that, i suspected a injector to be honist will i have to replace them?

i also suspected fuel starvation what will cause that, would it help if i put basically a full tank of fuel in? i only reved it a few times just to see if it would help i was trying everything i thought off.

so what do youse think i should do or check ect. thanks, lee
ah also when i 1st start it it starts up no problem and idles at 2000 rpm hen falls after a minute then itll miss but if i rev it to about 1500 - 2000 itll not miss at all alough you can hear the unburnt fuel in the exhaust. lee
88 1.9GTi - Misfiring after running out of fuel - Armitage Shanks {p}
I am not one of the BR technical wizards, by a long chalk, but might the running out of fuel taken all the crud from the bottom of the tank and sucked it into the fuel system?Pipes, filter and pump + perish the thought, the fuel injectors?

i thought it was that maybe but i removed the injectors wile still attached to the rail and i turned the engine over and they seemed to be working fine but that wouldnt tell me anything just by doing that its a real shame because other than this fault the car looks like it just came from peugeot in 1988 very clean car
hi all, after further play about i started about on the air flow meter and i notice there was some burns on the plastic coating so after i prised back the coating i notice that the green and grey wire were in a right mess burned to bits and metals were exposed so from where it connects to the other wires, (dont no what there for) underneith the inlet manifold all the way to the plug for the meter there burned and basically nagard so im hopeing that this is the problem of the misfire im going to replace the wires this sunday and prey, ill report my finding.
87 1.9 over fueling - lee123
hi, i was hopeing somebody can help me out, my 205 1.9 gti 1987 seems to be over fueling quite a bit it. when i try and start it it tries to start but no go but if i press the peddle a bit itll start and misfire very badly and booting loads of smoke out the exhaust which is blue, white.

PLEASE HELP. LEE
87 1.9 over fueling - lee123
ive checked all my sparks n they all seem fine, ive also had the fuel pressure regulator off today i was told if i were to suck or blow throught one of the spouts i should feal it from another spout but if not its stuck shut and will be causing it to over fuel, is this true?
87 1.9 starting problems, pressure fault?? - lee123
hi ive noticed a problem with my 1.9 gti ive noticed when i start the car with everything in tact itll not start due to overfueling, however if i disconnect the pump plug itll start up no problem and run for a around 20 second untill it run out of fuel in the lines, ive replaced the pressure regulator, air flow meter, and all the sparks are fine, but ive no idea what is causeing this and getting very fustrated with it, can anybody help me?

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 06/06/2009 at 21:14

87 1.9 (GTi) - Fuelling problems pump or relay ? - lee123
hi can anyone help me out iv had a recent over fuelling problem with my 205 gti, ive changed all sorts such as pressure regulator, rail, and all electricals coil, leads, spark plus ect. im hoping ive narrowed it down to a pump or relay but cant be sure and money is extremely tight so i cant go buying all sorts, you can hear the fuel pump working when you 1st turn on the ignition so does any one think it could be a relay or is there anything else that can cause this faul. lee

{lots of questions relating to the same car with the same problems - all merged into the one thread in the hope that previous suggestions can be seen and not repeated}

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 08/06/2009 at 19:58

87 1.9 (GTi) - Fuelling problems pump or relay ? - elekie&a/c doctor
The fuel pump and relay will not cause an over-fuelling condition.I suggest you take a look at the coolant temp sensor (rear of engine,behind #4 cyl,g/box end).Also check earth connections on top of gearbox.hth
87 1.9 (GTi) - Fuelling problems pump or relay ? - lee123
cheers mate ill take a look at it and order one asap, ive hurd these are very common, anything else that can cause this fault. lee
87 1.9 pressure problem? - lee123
my little 205 gti is becoming a pain and was wondering if someone can help its recently developed a horrible misfire which i asume its over fueling, ive changed the pump, relay, injectors, fuel filter, h.t leads, spark plugs and dizzy cap but it stil misfires its also kicking a load of blue smoke out and stinks of petrol ive noticed when its eventually decided to run if i take the vacume pipe off the regulaor that goes into the inlet manifold it will run a little better and then it just dies if i stop reving it, also it will be a huge pain to start if the pump is connected as it should be but if it disconnect it it starts fine alough still runs very rough.

can anybody offer me advice im going bauld pulling my hair out.
87 1.9 fueling fault? - lee123
my little 205 gti is becoming a pain and was wondering if someone can help its recently developed a horrible misfire which i asume its over fueling, ive changed the pump, relay, injectors, fuel filter, h.t leads, spark plugs and dizzy cap but it stil misfires its also kicking a load of blue smoke out and stinks of petrol ive noticed when its eventually decided to run if i take the vacume pipe off the regulaor that goes into the inlet manifold it will run a little better and then it just dies if i stop reving it, also it will be a huge pain to start if the pump is connected as it should be but if it disconnect it it starts fine alough still runs very rough.

can anybody offer me advice im going bauld pulling my hair out.

{Moved once again to your other question. Please stop raising new threads each time you ask the same question, else they will get deleted}

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 17/06/2009 at 19:17

87 1.9 fueling fault? - redviper
1st thing i gather its a petrol engine,

If its blue smoke coming out of the back, this is oil,

Black is soot/petrol, white is Steam/Water

is it using oil and is it using water? if so it *could* be cracked block, or the head gasket has gone.

not using oil or smoke i thought it may be a head
oil or water i mean sorry