Handbrake - can'tbelieveit
Despite having the handbrake on fully, my new Colt Cabrio rolled back 12 feet; I wasn't parked on a hill either.Anyone having trouble with this?
Handbrake - carl_a
The handbrake on my ordinary Colt CZ1 does not give the best feel or confidence. On a hill or incline I'd always leave any car in gear though.

Handbrake - Dynamic Dave
I'd always leave any car in gear though.

Agreed. It's advisable to leave any unattended car (with a manual gearbox) in gear when parked. I can't understand why so many people rely solely on a bowden cable to stop their car from running away.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 26/05/2009 at 20:09

Handbrake - bell boy
I can't understand why so many people rely solely on a bowden cable to
stop their car from running away.

>>>>> because they start them in gear and smack the garden wall/car in front ;-0
Handbrake - Dynamic Dave
because they start them in gear and smack the garden wall/car in front ;-0

True, but if the clutch is engaged before starting the engine, it takes less strain out of the battery to turn the engine over as it's not having to also turn the gearbox as well.
Handbrake - Bill Payer
The CZ1 has rear drums so will be a different arrangment to the CZC (which I presume has rear disc brakes).

The handbrake in our CZ1 has never given me cause for concern, and I was impressed that the dealer removed the rear drums and cleaned them out and re-adjusted the handbrake as part of the 24K/2yr service (a SEAT dealer charged me £100 for the same thing when our Ibiza recently had a major service).
Handbrake - cc123
the handbrake on pretty much all cars should be about 3-5 clicks of the handbrake, on the czc if it has drum brakes at the rear, the shoes should be adjusted first, if it is the disc brake set up then you can only adjust them at the handbrake, it should be pretty much standard practice on the 25k/50k service, although on the 12.5/37.5k these only basically being check over and oil and filter changes it would not be common place to remove the drums and adjust. i own a colt and have the disc set up on mine, and found that the car had rolled back, but i was parked on a steep driveway, this is generally only the case on disc brake set ups, as when the metal cools and contracts, it can relieve the pressure, especially after a hard drive. the colt at pdi like all mitsubishi's do need the handbrake adjusting but if the technician has been lazy it might not have been done!
Handbrake - bintang
My kitchen-level Colt needs an extra haul up on the handbrake after it seems to be at maximum, otherwise it will roll on a hill. I do park in gear but guess that a shunt could lead to a lot of transmission damage - or would the clutch just slip to take up the shock?
Handbrake - cc123
there is that to consider i guess, your clutch would take a bit up but with being such a jolt through the transmission it could break something i guess, i wouldnt rule it out, depending on which way the car goes the engine could turn over the wrong direction, not really advised, i dont leave my colt in gear, just get the handbrake adjusted correctly and you shouldnt have too many problems, but its not exactly common place these shunts while your car is parked so each to their own.
Handbrake - Alby Back
My wife always leaves her car in neutral. I always leave mine in gear. Neither have ever suffered any harm as a result of this, but I have the satisfaction of knowing I'm right and she's wrong...........

;-)

Just leave it in gear. After all, most autos have to be left in "P" which locks the transmission.
Handbrake - Bill Payer
Just leave it in gear.

The problem is that one day she will turn the key without taking it out of gear, or her foot will slip off the clutch. The car will bump another, or a wall, and it will be *your* fault!