?Metalled? roads - Bill Blackman
In connection with a discussion about the sorry state of many of our roads, I was silly enough to mention the use of steel mesh or netting reinforcement ?like they used to use?. But nobody had heard of reinforcing asphalt (or bitumen or whatever) with steel mesh. I am certain I can remember seeing steel mesh poking out of partially laid asphalt up through the years. I?ve googled for hours, but can?t find anything about it. Have I been dreaming or what, can anybody help here?
?Metalled? roads - oldnotbold
You may have seen re-inforcing mesh in concrete, but not in asphalt.

Metalled is defined here:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pavement_(material)
?Metalled? roads - Old Navy
Might have been embedded in concrete, we have a couple of miles of concrete surfaced motorway in my area.

Ok, ONB beat me that time. :-)

Edited by Old Navy on 13/05/2009 at 12:58

‘Metalled’ roads - bell boy
cant help you but i still use the phrase unmettled roads for near unclassified roads that i like driving down with the wife navigating,its the only way to see the real england
sometimes they lead to lakes, dead ends, or too deep fords though
?Metalled? roads - Roly93
On a lateral note, I havent come across mesh reinforcement of asphalt.

However I do remember seeing a programme about the state of the countries roads and congestion etc some 5 years ago.

It was there that the road contractors admitted that it would be possible to build rods that would last 20+ years with little or no maint, but it would just be very expensive.

As such the HA and local authorities would never stump up the cash for the long-term solution, instead preferring to nibble at the problem causing major congestion every couple of years as they bodge things up !
?Metalled? roads - Mick Snutz
Did I imagine reading something about old tyres being used in roads?
?Metalled? roads - oldnotbold
I believe ground glass has also been used.
?Metalled? roads - slowdown avenue
i had a conversation too, with a highways chap from the council about a road that was always bad and he said .Its an old metalled road , its the stuff underneath, whatever we do it comes off again. He blinded me a bit with science , but know i feel a bit wiser.
?Metalled? roads - RobertyBob
Steel mesh reinforcement is only ever used within the rigid (concrete) layers of pavement construction, not the flexible (bitumen) layers.

Sometimes the flexible layers can be reinforced with a geotextile (fibreglass mesh) if the new surface is being laid over an old cracked surface.

P.S. Just to confuse you: to a highway engineer the pavement includes the surface that cars drive on, not just the surface that pedestrians walk on.