Dealers still at it - k9dan
Went to buy a captiva at local big dealership. Nice man showed me the car, and I notice a new unreg same for not much more money. By this time the flexy friend is almost jumping out my wallet. Enquire for discount as no trade in, "sorry sir the cars are priced to sell the amount on the screen is the amount." So I point out with no trade in he dosent have to, valet it move it through trade/market etc, point out economic downturn etc, suit claims there sales are incredibly buoyant, and uplast month. Didn't waste any more time and left, lost an easy sale. If I hear any more sob stories about how bad the trade is doing, I will scream, especially as they are still trying to fleece customers.
Dealers still at it - the swiss tony
Most trade in's are sold at a profit, quite decent profit if sold on as a retail sale, smaller if sold to a trader - even if an employee buys it, theres normally a small mark up!

So... by you not supplying a trade in, the dealer has LOST a possibility of profit, also what you were told is true , 2nd hand sales are fairly buoyant, its new cars that arent selling.....
Dealers still at it - Altea Ego
Hes not legaly obliged to sell it to you at the price you want. Just as you are not obliged to buy it at the price he wants. He didnt loose an easy sale, he just declined to loose money on you.

Dealers still at it - mike hannon
It's remarkable, isn't it? I always thought that if I went into a car showroom and wanted to buy a car for cash, with no swapper, I would be welcomed and given a discount.
Certainly no dealer I ever met told me he would be glad to buy whatever motor I wanted to trade in - they were always too big, too small, not in demand, wrong colour, etc, etc - because he could eventually sell it for a good mark-up.
I guess it's because these days the dealer makes money on everything but actually selling you a new car.
The toughest deal I ever did was turning in a mint two-year-old low mileage Accord Hondamatic (best 'auto' box I've ever known, BTW, and it only had one gear!) for a nearly-new Rover SD1. Dealer hummed and hahhed, said colour was wrong, no one wants auto, no demand, blah blah, but eventually condescended to give me a reasonable price. Later I saw it was owned by his mother...

Edited by mike hannon on 12/05/2009 at 06:04

Dealers still at it - Martin Devon
Dealer hummed and hahhed said colour was wrong no one wants
auto no demand blah blah but eventually condescended to give me a reasonable price. Later
I saw it was owned by his mother...

Just like Politicians. Perpetual prevarication.

Morning all.....MD
Dealers still at it - L'escargot
k9dan,

(a) Why should a dealer give you a discount?
(b) Why do you think it would be financially advantageous to them to give you a discount?
(c) How do you think they would make up for the loss of income incurred in giving you a discount?

Perhaps they didn't want to have to bear the costs incurred in processing the payment made via your "flexy friend". Perhaps you should have offered to pay with cash?

Edited by L'escargot on 12/05/2009 at 07:58

Dealers still at it - daveyjp
The dealer was probably shocked that someone wanted to buy a brand new Captiva - he probably needed to alert the news agencies of such a momentus event and was buying some time :-)
Dealers still at it - Falkirk Bairn
If you like the car and cannot get a discount take a trip to your local Vauxhall emporium- they sell Antaras that are twins with the Captiva.

Beware all are GM products and they may come with GM finance concerns.
Dealers still at it - Bill Payer
You never know what's going on behind the scenes. We had a really funny interaction with a Renault dealer, they were polite enough, but just strangely"flat" - disinterested. We left it and next week the dealership had lost the Renault franchise.
Dealers still at it - perro
>>> but eventually condescended to give me a reasonable price. Later
I saw it was owned by his mother... <<<

Hahaha! ya couldn't make it up could you ... what rhymes with car dealer?
why - Politician of course!
Dealers still at it - Pugugly
Guy used to work with wants a brand new Mondeo estate - he wanted to sit in one first (not bothered about a drive) - could he get any of three dealers to show an interest let alone source one for him. Two answers to that.