05 1.6 100 Zetec climate. Feedback required. - craig6
Hello All,
I am just about to purchase the above car and would like to hear some 'real' owners feedback. I have read many reviews and the biggest negative i read is regarding road and wind noise. This car has done 22k miles and the dealer has priced it at £5500. I have never owned a focus before and this will be the newest car i have ever bought so i would love to hear some feedback please.
many thanks in advance.
Craig

ps it is a 05 reg

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 04/05/2009 at 01:31

FOCUS II 1.6 100 ZETEC CLIMATE - MikeTorque
I've driven the 1.6 100ps and own a 1.6 TDCi Zetec Climate. Super car to drive, the 1.6 petrol is smooth and quiet.

Road noise is somewhat subjective and depends on the tyres fited to the car. Yes you can hear road noise, but it's a lot less than a Focus 1. I find Goodyear Excellent tyres provide a quieter and more comfortable ride than Michelin Primacy. Remember tyres can be changed if the car you're buying doesn't come fitted with quiet or quality tyres.

As for wind noise, unless you're going well over the national speed limit wind noise is well suppressed. I haven't found wind noise to be an issue and I like to drive with the radio off for some peace and quiet. Speaking of the radio, check it works on FM & AM without crackling, ensure the ignition and engine are turned on when you test it as there is a known issue with some of the 6000 series units. If it crackles ensure the dealer will fix it or replace it free of charge.

The biggest positive, best 05 reg. in class.
FOCUS II 1.6 100 ZETEC CLIMATE - craig6
Thanks for your reply Mike.
I will ensure i try the radio when i buy.
Which do you prefer to drive the TDCi 1.6 or the petrol?
Craig
FOCUS II 1.6 100 ZETEC CLIMATE - MikeTorque
I slightly prefer the TDCi 1.6, I like the mid-range torque/flexibility and economy, it's a smooth engine as far as diesels are concerned. The 1.6 petrol is slightly sweeter on the ear at idle but on the move there's little in it. In cold winter weather the 1.6 petrol will provide hot air for heating the driver & cabin quicker than the TDCi, albeit at the cost of a bit more fuel.

If your mileage isn't too high then the 1.6 petrol is a decent choice. Also the 1.6 petrol engine means there is less weight over the front wheels which in turn translates to the petrol version being slightly more agile compared with the diesel version.

I like to drive them both, each has its merits.
05 1.6 100 Zetec climate. Feedback required. - FocusDriver
Craig, you're making a good choice. Interesting and useful advice from Mike. I'm likely to be buying a very similar car soon having owned a 1999 Focus for seven years. I still love to look around at cars I like but you can't beat the price for such an accomplished car. Foci might appear bland to some (and, let's face it the MkII doesn't set many hearts aflutter - or so I thought until a visit to the Focus owners' forum) but once you're driving, you feel like a king and very much in control.

Wish you well.
05 1.6 100 Zetec climate. Feedback required. - EoinM
You cant really go wrong with a Focus to be honest. There is however another 1.6 engine available with 115 PS - its slightly pepier and more economical. If you could find one of these you're to a winner but in saying that, not much wrong with the model you're looking at.

Best of luck
05 1.6 100 Zetec climate. Feedback required. - gpmartin
> There is however another 1.6 engine available with 115 PS - its slightly pepier and more economical

Has Ford phased out the 115BHP version of the 1.6 with the facelifted Focus? Can't seem to see any of the more powerful version available now, but it may be that dealers aren't distinguishing between the two in their advertising.