99 1.4 Heater problem - no hot air - HenryW15
Over the past couple of days I have experienced problems blowing hot air out of my heater.

On full whack, the air is thicker but is just as cold as the opposite setting. Wasn't sure if it was to do with the unpredictable weather we have had recently or one of those things that just breaks out of the blue!

Coincidently, my car has been overheating to the extent that the needle was off the chart and I had to pull over. Usually it would overheat in traffic and I would pump hot air out into the cabin but this is no longer possible, hence meaning my car is limited to a couple of miles at a time at present.

I am very much convinced that these two problems are related. Through a number of educated guesses/internet research I believe it could be:
-Heater matrix
-Radiator leak
-Electric cabin switch problem (which, also coincidently, stopped closing the vent fully some time ago).

A professional/mechanical opinion would be very much appreciated. Thanks.

Edited by HenryW15 on 29/04/2009 at 01:48

99 1.4 Heater problem - no hot air - sierraman
Have you checked the coolant level?It may have dropped below the level of the heater matrix.Beware the temp guage dropping to zero,that is when the coolant has dropped below the sender.If the problem persists after topping up you have an airlock,look for bleedscrews on hoses and the top of the rad.
99 1.4 Heater problem - no hot air - Peter.N.
It sounds suspiciosly like a leaking head gasket, pressurising the cooling system and blowing the water out of the overflow. When the water level drops so far, there isn't sufficient to circulate through the heater.
99 1.4 Heater problem - no hot air - dagenham car center
the coolant system needs bleeding,so that the coolant flows around the whole system(including the heater)for it work correctly.
it then needs to be checked to see if your loosing coolant anywhere,then that has to be fixed.
let us whereabouts you are maybe we know someone who is highly recomended.